- Go light. When it comes to turkey avoid the skin and choose white meat. If you enjoy the white meat just as much as the dark meat you can skim a few calories off.
- Smaller portions. It's ok to have the stuffing, potatoes, and candies yams…just realize this is a very high carbohydrate meal. Choosing smaller portions of these foods will go a long way in saving you some calories. Just remember…you can always have left-overs tomorrow.
- Watch alcohol. Alcohol is a biggie during the holidays. One mixed drink can cost you 200-300 calories, wine 120 calories and beer 120-150 calories. Just limiting your alcohol during the day by 1-2 drinks saves you over a hundred calories.
- Pumpkin pie anyone? If you have a choice of pies go for the pumpkin. Pumpkin pie has around 165 calories per slice compared to 452 calories for Pecan pie, and 410 for apple pie. Just think…you can have a great dessert and save over 200 calories.
- Make a tradition to get more activity this day. Many families will have an annual touch football game or perhaps an evening or morning walk. Getting in a little activity will go a long way.
6 oz turkey (light and dark meat)
1 cup mashed potatoes
½ cup gravy
½ cup cranberry sauce
1 cup stuffing
½ cup candied yams
½ cup green beans
1 roll with 1 tsp butter
1 cup salad with 1 tbsp dressing
4 glasses of wine throughout day
Cup of coffee with cream and sugar
1 slice pecan pieGrand total = 2700 calories
4 oz white meat turkey
½ cup mashed potatoes