Spices and herbs are delicate so it is important to store them properly to preserve their flavor and health benefits. I know that when I was growing up, the dried spices were there for years!
Use fresh herbs ASAP! You can store them in perforated bags in the refrigerator for up to four days. Dried herbs and spices should be used within a year. Keep them in airtight containers and label them with the date of purchase so you know how long you've had them!
A few tips for using herbs:
- Want to substitute fresh herbs for dry ones? One tablespoon of fresh herbs equals one teaspoon of dried herbs.
- Chop fresh herbs very finely. More cut surfaces on the plant’s leaves releases more flavor and aroma.
- If you double a recipe ,you may not need to double the herbs and spices. Start by adding just 50 percent more, and then adjust if needed.
- In dishes that require long cooking times (such as soups and stews) add herbs towards the end of cooking so the flavor won’t cook out.
- Just like fruits and vegetables, make sure to wash your fresh herbs prior to using them.