Want to work from home but don't know how to ask your manager? Consider giving a written proposal in addition to an oral presentation. By doing both, you make sure your manager knows you are serious about making a successful teleworking arrangement. Below is a sample proposal that you can use to start the dialogue for telecommuting.
I, __________ am requesting to telecommute ____ days per week at __________ as __________ beginning on _____. The schedule I would desire for telecommuting is: every _____.
The advantages of my telecommuting include the following:
- Reduced real estate costs (rent, expansion, relocation)
- Increased competitiveness (extended customer service hours, flexible recruitment tools, global hiring pool, decreased overhead, improved technology and communication)
- Increased productivity as I no longer will have to commute _____ minutes each way to the office on the telecommuting days
- Reduced absenteeism
- Increased morale and employee satisfaction
- Reductions in air pollution and employment opportunities for disabled applicants can create a "good neighbor" image that enhances business
Potential impact of my telecommuting on my department may include the following (e.g. impact on operations/work flow, potential advantages, potential disadvantages):
- Availability for face-time on my three days in the office
- Shift from face-time to virtual availability on email, phone, and instant messenger
- No change in job description or job duties
- Based on my job description, these tasks could easily transition to telecommuting without any impact to the team: __________
My alternative work site is: __________ (a spare bedroom with door away from most family activity that is well ventilated, has good lighting, many electrical outlets, phone jack, high-speed internet access, etc.)
Equipment I would need from this department would include:
- Docking station
- Cell phone or additional phone line
Equipment I already own and am willing to use includes:
- Monitor, keyboard, and mouse
- Desk and an ergonomic chair
My expectations from the department to support me in telecommuting are to provide the equipment listed above as well as a portion of my home high-speed internet charge, all business related cell-phone charges, and __________.
My expectations for supervision are: __________ (e.g. frequency, how work would be reviewed).
I would like to review my telecommuting agreement in 90 days to determine its effectiveness on my job performance.
Thank you for your consideration.