Member Articles

Write an article!

Creating a healthy environment for your family and home

Removing toxic chemicals from your home

by MyHomeCottageBiz -- Clare Willi  |  804 views  |  0 comments  |       Rate this now! 

The kitchen is the heart of the home, despite the fact the TV room is trying to take over as the main focus of a home, the kitchen is where it is at. It is where we prepare our meals, find our food and gather to share the day. It is also where we store out cleaning products and work hard to keep a sanitary environment. It is from this desire of a "cleaner home" comes the danger that can severly effect our families and pets.

Cleaning products of today expose children, pets, and family members to more toxins than could be found in a laboratory at the turn of the 20th century. Toxins find their way into our systems through ingestion, absorption, and inhalation. Spraying window cleaner, pouring in dishwasher detergent, spilling laundry detergent --  all of these products can be lethal poisons harming your children and pets.

Look under your sink and read the warnings listed onyour cleaning products. These chemicals have been linked to allergies, birth defects, and cancer. Shampoos, soaps, toothpaste cosmetics are easily absorbed through the skin into your bloodstream, even NIOSH finds that 884 of these products can cause tumors, acute toxicity, reproductive complications and more.

Why do we allow these dangerous chemicals into our home placing our loved ones in danger? For most people it is simply the matter of not knowing any better. Many families do not know about all-natural cleaning products, products that reflect who you are as a parent and show your concern for your family.

Bleach, we discover, was originally used as a weapon during WW I. Inspect the cleaning aisle in the grocery store, can you locate even one dishwasher detergent that does not have a child safety cap?

Changing over to a non-toxic cleaner can dramatically reduce your children’s allergic reactions. One teenage boy recently remarked to his mother how the laundry room did not smell like chemicals anymore. She had changed over to a non-toxic detergent. Reflecting upon this she realized this son, afflicted with asthma since the age of 2, had been absorbing the chemicals from the laundry detergent, through his clothes, his sheets, his stuffed animals, for over 11 years since his diagnosis. How much of his disease was a result of laundry detergent? We will never know, but by converting your home, the life you save could be your child’s.

About the Author

Clare Willis is the owner of MyHomeCottageBiz.com, a website dedicated providing supplemental income ideas for families. She is a homeschooling mother of four who has been working from home for more than 10 years.

Read more by MyHomeCottageBiz -- Clare Willi




0 comments so far...

No comments yet.

Work Life Balance Stories

Check out our best tips for balancing work and home life.

Quick & Easy recipes

Browse our favorite quick and easy recipes, perfect for busy moms.

Ask & Answer Questions

What working moms are talking about on our question board!