Working moms: What was your day like yesterday?

Categories: Hacking Life, Making Time

What I was doing yesterday: Working from home.

What I my day was really like yesterday: Fed breakfast to 4 children, fed the dog, dressed 2 children, made 4 lunches, packed 3 backpacks, did 2 children’s hair, dropped 1 child at camp and 2 children at preschool, bought groceries, bought cold and flu medication at the drug store, put away the groceries, edited 2 articles, emptied the dishwasher, reloaded the dishwasher, went to the craft store after finding out (when I dropped 1 child at camp) that tomorrow the group will be doing tie-dye, and I had no articles of white anything, worked a little more, scrubbed the kitchen floor, prepped dinner, picked up 3 children from various location, took 1 sick teenager to the doctor (diagnosis: pneumonia, and boy is she pissed), made dinner.

What I feel like I should’ve been doing, since I was at home anyway: laundry, cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming the rest of the house, stripping the sheets, remaking the beds, cleaning off the kitchen counters, putting away the mountain of shoes in the entry way, picking up the toys from the floor of the family room, taking the clothes I culled out of the kids’ closets months ago to the Salvation Army, donating the old toys, and feeling guilty because 1 child complained that “it’s sooooooo *dirty* in here!”

What didn’t get done yesterday: Enough work.

I’m sure you can relate. So please share: what did you do yesterday? What didn’t get done?

• Since I’ll be doing this starting next Monday, I’ll share, instead, my projected schedule:
    0400: Wakey, shower.
    0415: Start work.
    0700: Amelie will wake up. Let her play in her crib while I grab a shot of coffee.
    0710: Get Amelie; change her diaper; feed her breakfast; tag along in her world while she rips every toy out of its bin and exhorts me to play airplane games in the laundry basket.
    1100: Naptime for Amelie; back to work for me.
    1101: Give up on work; naptime for me.
    1300: Wake with a start because Amelie has been up for 30 seconds and I just realized it.
    1301: Get Amelie; lunch; some sort of outing somewhere.
    1700: Give up on dinner preparations because cleaning and cooking without Mick around to distract her is impossible.
    1701: Order in or go out.
    2000: Bed time for Ameli.
    2010: Back to work.
    2020: Give up on work and try to get one of the projects on my 4 pages of personal ToDo list done.
    2030: Give up and go to bed with a book.
    2031: Fall asleep with glasses on and book on face.
    2300: Wake up because it’s late and Mick isn’t in bed with me and, oh, yeah…he’s not here. Can’t sleep. Get some work done?
    2305: Give up and go surf the internet.
    0300: Back to bed.
    0400: Wakey, shower.

Somewhere in there I’ll probably have a glass of wine.

Phe  |  August 13th, 2009 at 7:20 am

• I got up at 7am, 30 minutes late because I shut off my alarm. Woke up the husband who had done the same. He went to feed the boys and let the dog out while I showered. Once dressed I get the boys dressed and he showers. The nanny arrived and fed the boys breakfast part II. (Breakfast is a multi-step process in our house) I took an 8am conference call, then a differenty 8:30 call. At 9am the boys, nanny and I jumped int he car and we raced to the Open House at their school. This is my youngest’s first year at St. T’s so we had to go. We toured the school said hi to our friends and other parents. at 10am the Nanny walked the boys home and I drove to work. I had a meeting at 1030 and several others throughout the day. I left work at 6pm, drove home, made dinner for the hubby and I. I sent a letter to my brother in Afganistan, picked up the livingroom, dinning room, loaded the dishwasher, put away the clean clothes in our bedroom and then logged back on to finalize a presentation for today. I shut down the computer at 11:30 and I shut down about 11:45.
    I was not able to get to the bathrooms, orgainze the toy room or run to CVS. I didn’t plan dinner for tonight or get to call my best friend, but today is another day.

I do find that I can be productive when I work from home, but the desire to clean and do all the other things is strong.

klg  |  August 13th, 2009 at 9:28 am

• Got up at 5am (after 4 hours’ sleep), did some volunteer work (as treasurer of nonprofit), did some paid work. Kids came to “wake me up” at 7am. Let them play in my room while I worked until 7:30. Breakfast and cleanup, grooming, reading to the kids and going over some academics. When Nanny arrived at 8:30, went upstairs and got back to work. Continued working on big report until 4:15pm, with nonprofit conference call at 10am. Ate a bag of baked tortilla chips for lunch. Showered at 4:45pm. 5pm: relieved Nanny and took conference call while kids jumped on my bed and worked on puzzles. 6pm: friend was in the neighborhood so I invited her to a Chinese buffet where I could sneak next door for a haircut while she stuffed my kids with dessert. Took kids for haircut after mine, then a brief stop at a park because I’d promised the kids early in the day, then home for bedtime routine. 9:45 to midnight: work/internet. Midnight: lie down with light still on because I expect to get up and work some more, but it doesn’t happen. 6am: get up and start working again.

SKL  |  August 13th, 2009 at 9:44 am

• Oh, what I didn’t accomplish: a recommendation letter for my nanny. Gotta get that out today ASAP!

I didn’t include any cleaning details because I basically clean as I go. It would drive me crazy to have clutter sitting around me while I work or eat.

SKL  |  August 13th, 2009 at 9:47 am

• I am getting dizzy reading this. How about we just stop and smell the roses instead.

vera babayeva  |  August 13th, 2009 at 8:06 pm

• 6-7 am: make lunches and get dinner going in crockpot
    7-8 am: shower, dress, kick kids out of beds
    8am - drop kids at camp and drive to work (i only wish i could work from home)
    3:30 - leave work for daily race to get to camp before 4pm.
    4:15 - arrive home with kids plus friend, realize that essential items for dinner need to be purchased.
    4:20 - leave eldest at home, take younger one and friend to grocery store for required items. get shanghai’ed into also purchasing ice cream sandwiches
    4:30-5:30 - attempt to do volunteer webmaster stuff while also refereeing kids and finishing dinner
    5:30-6 - eat dinner with kids
    6:30-7 - chat with friend’s mom when she comes to pick up the friend
    7-8 - attempt to finish web stuff, derailed by 7 year old who ‘just wants to snuggle, mama’
    8-8:30 - bathtime - sneak in reading a little sitting on toilet lid while kid plays in the tub
    8:30- 9 - listen to 7 year old read ‘Miss Holly is Too Jolly’
    9pm - fall asleep trying to read

a mom  |  August 14th, 2009 at 9:21 am

• I am a work from home mom and I think my biggest accomplishment of the day was washing the dishes and spending 29 minutes on Wii Fit. I have a hard time remembering what my days are like at home. My 15 month old pretty much runs the day, so I just fit my “stuff” in whenever I can.

Mommy Reporter  |  August 16th, 2009 at 4:37 pm