Working moms, what’s your superpower?

Categories: Hacking Life, Making Time, Parenting, The Juggle, Uncategorized

I finally got around to watching Iron Man (crazy schedules + expensive babysitters = two working parents who don’t get to the movies all that often). And I loved it.

I have a thing for superheroes in general — my childhood idol was Mighty Mouse, in fact, and I’ve passed my love of The X-Men on to my kids. But Iron Man appealed to me even more than super hero movies usually do, not because some otherworldly avenger/defender swoops in to save the day, but because Tony Stark creates his own superpower.

We know that there’s no such thing as Super Mom, even as we try to be her when we’re struggling to juggle work and life. But you know what? I still think we’re superheros. With superpowers. But like Tony Stark, we have to create ours ourselves — no strange reactions to Earth’s yellow sun, no bizarre experiment gone awry, no radioactive spiders. And we don’t have a multi-billion dollar fortune to throw at it — or even a fancy costume (apparently, yoga pants do not count).

A poll at Babycenter.com asked moms “If you could have one superpower, what would it be?” Twenty-eight percent chose mind-reading, and I admit, that would come in handy in more ways than one. Twenty-one percent would opt to stop time, and 16 percent wanted to be able to see into the future. All nine options in the poll were for powers that are unattainable, though, and I’m convinced that busy moms have ones that actually exist.

In spite of the fact that researchers say it’s a myth, I still think that my superpower is multitasking. At The Daily Courier, Geek Mom says that she’s not sure what her superpower is, but her husband’s is being “Anonymous Man” (people just don’t remember him) and their daughter’s alter-ego is Super Memory Girl.  Why Mommy’s son says her superpower is love, and I think that’s pretty much the best anaysis of what makes a mom a Superhero that I’ve ever read.

What’s your superpower?

• I think my superpower is my willingness and ability to start all over, and over, and over, ad infinitum. Is that a superpower? WHY, YES, YES, IT IS! I shall call myself BeginAgain Girl and get a tee shirt. And some yoga pants.

Amelia  |  June 14th, 2010 at 4:57 pm

• Maybe my “superpower” is the ability to make a couple of hours seem like a lot more quality time. Maybe.

But besides that, something magical happens here at bedtime every night. My singing voice becomes the most beautiful, beloved sound that can be heard. Even if I’m otherwise hoarse and tired. Pretty impressive if I do say so myself.

SKL  |  June 14th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

• Amelia: That absolutely is a superpower! It’s hard to be willing *and* able to start over…

SKL: I like both of your powers. Two hours can definitely be quality time, but it’s the singing thing that I find really cool! :)

Lylah  |  June 14th, 2010 at 9:27 pm

• My superpower would be my punctuality. I am perpetually on-time, if not early, to everything. It drives my husband nuts because he hates being the first one to a party, etc… I haven’t always been so punctual, though. In high school I would run late every morning and always got Saturday school or detention. I have grown to hate the feeling of being late!
    With 2 little ones it’s extremely difficult to get everyone ready and out of the house by 7 AM, and to get myself to work by 7:30 AM. However, I always arrive on time or early and ready to start the day. Some of my female co-workers that don’t have any children are always running late and often don’t even have their makeup done yet when they get to work! I’ve tried really hard to change my ways and I think it pays off because if I get to work early then I can leave early; thus I have more quality time to spend with my family!

Sara  |  June 15th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

• Ahhh Lylah..I’m glad I’m not the only superhero lovin’ mommy! Elastigirl is my personal fav right now - I have the PEZ dispenser to prove it! Maybe that’s it!! Flexibility is my superpower…I can always find dinner in the fridge (even if I haven’t shopped in a week and a half!), I made a Valentine mailbox out of an old shoebox and red paper plates, and recycle kids birthday cards for artwork in their rooms. I’m sure most mommies can do that though!!

Jennifer  |  June 16th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

• My superpower is fitting a week’s worth of groceries for a family of four into the trunk of a Miata.

akmom  |  June 19th, 2010 at 7:40 pm