with Angella Dykstra
I'm a mom of three, a professional accountant, and an amateur photographer and writer. I am not a marriage expert. But my husband and I take "Til death do us part" seriously, and here I'll be sharing how we keep our marriage strong while we both do that insane work-life juggle.
Check out my Work It, Mom! profile and my blog, Dutch Blitz.
I came across an article over at Yahoo! Shine titled, “5 Secrets For A Happy Marriage” and I agreed with every single point listed. There is no “magic formula” to making a marriage work; it takes commitment and a bit of common sense.
1. Respect. Absolutely. While I may make jokes about things my husband does, they are always with his knowledge and are something that we both laugh at. I refuse to treat him disrespectfully, either online or offline.
2. Courtesy. My husband and I, in almost ten years of marriage, have never called each other names in a disagreement (Or, ever). We might say something like, “What you did hurt my feelings,” but would never say, “You’re a stupid jerk.” Statement number two is neither courteous, nor conducive to a resolution.
3. Unique Individuality. Amen. While my husband share the same values, morals, and twisted sense of humor, our likes and dislikes are vastly different. I love to write and to photograph and to visit large cities. He likes to tinker in his shop and ride snowmobiles and hunt for wild game in the middle of nowhere. We let each other pursue our individual interests and root each other on.
4. Be a Cheerleader. This kind of flows from point #4, but YES. We love each other and want to live our lives to the fullest. He is my biggest cheerleader and I, his.
5. To Thine Own Self Be True. Well, as I said above, we share core values and morals. If that is not the case for you and your significant other, then I hope you stay true to what you believe in.
How about you guys? Any “secrets” that you care to share?
Subscribe to blog via RSS