Committed: The Ties that Bond

with Angella Dykstra

I'm a mom of three, a professional accountant, and an amateur photographer and writer. I am not a marriage expert. But my husband and I take "Til death do us part" seriously, and here I'll be sharing how we keep our marriage strong while we both do that insane work-life juggle.

Check out my Work It, Mom! profile and my blog, Dutch Blitz.

I fail at Father’s Day

Categories: holidays

Yes, this is a marriage column but that dude I am married to is also a Father, so. Fair game, as far as I’m concerned. Unless you want me to go into the reasons that I have been referring to him as The Last Airbender. You don’t want that (trust me), so I’m going with what I know. Or what I don’t know as it were.

When Matthew and I went to Vegas, he thought that maybe he should try on some sunglasses. I have known him for eleven years now, and he has not owned a single pair of shades during this time. His reason has been that the majority of styles make him look like a bug and…I have to agree with him on that one. However. We have a friend who works at Oakley. He has already hooked me up with a sweet pair of glasses and has offered to do the same for my hubby. We found a pair that we loved! at the Oakley store in Vegas but sadly, they’ve been out of stock in the employee store.

My husband knows that they are coming (eventually) but Father’s Day is this Sunday and I have nothing in hand. His interests are 1) Building, 2) Fishing and 3) Snowmobiling. This does not help at all because, 1) I cannot buy (or use) tools, 2) I know nothing about fishing and 3) It’s summer. Ish.

He has it so easy in that he can take the kids to a local boutique and pick out a bunch of necklaces (I’m a little addicted) for me and we’re golden. As for him, there is no clutch gift.

I’m taking the kids shopping with me on Saturday and if you guys don’t bail me out, he’s going to end up with a “Dad Is #1″ mug, even though he doesn’t drink coffee.

Help?

• Heh. I totally went with a Dad is #1 mug this year. But it’s personalized, so I get points for that, right? RIGHT?

agirlandaboy  |  June 18th, 2010 at 10:12 am

• I sure hope so, because I may end up doing the same thing. Or maybe a Dad is #1 beer mug? Hmmm…

Angella  |  June 18th, 2010 at 10:13 am

• I think a trip to Mountain Equipment Co-op is in order! lots of fun little things there for hikers, fishers, campers and yes snowmobilers! Maybe a nice water bottle for those boat rides instead of a mug?!

Celeste  |  June 18th, 2010 at 10:23 am

• I went with scotch chocolate bars and bacon popcorn from the Cool Mom guide. If he’s into fishing, what about a soft sided insulated bag?- my husband uses his for hunting, fishing, and lazing-you can either put the meat in it or put the beers in it.

elz  |  June 18th, 2010 at 10:23 am

• My go-to gift is gift certificates to a steakhouse. I’m not a huge steakhouse fan so it’s a thoughtful gift that’s all about him and what he wants (and a slightly selfish gift because I love desserts and the steakhouse he likes has awesome desserts!) Does Matthew have a favourite restaurant? Or is there a restaurant that is a little nicer or more expensive than the ones you go to on date nights? Meals for gifts are a hit in our house :)

hillary  |  June 18th, 2010 at 11:08 am

• My dad is the most impossible person to buy for. I didn’t even get him a birthday presend this year. But yesterday I had just a few minutes to go into World Market and I think I found the right gift.

I bought three of those hinged picture frames that hold two photos, one on each side. They come from India so they are a little exotic but not feminine. I will find 3 somewhat matched sets of photos of my 2 girls and insert them into the frames. I’ll also download all the good photos I’ve taken since the last time I gave him a stick full of them. (That’s his belated birthday gift.) I’d better find the time to do all of this tonight!

My kids don’t have a daddy so I don’t have to worry about that. They will make my dad a card.

SKL  |  June 18th, 2010 at 11:21 am

• You can go fishing for free (as in, no licence necessary) on Sunday (it might actually be all weekend, I’, not positive), so a couple years ago I bought my dad and I some cheapo rods from Canadian Tire and told him we were going to hang out. I put our initials on the handles of the rods, so we’d know whose was whose, as a joke (we’re both MG). When in doubt, I default to a Canadian Tire G/C because there’s ALWAYS something there he wants-walkie-talkies with 5k radius, GPS, propane for the bbq, etc.

Meg  |  June 18th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

• Hahahahaha!! The sunglasses! My Husband just bought his first pair of sunglasses since we got similar ones in 1998. Since then I have bought about 10,000 pairs, and styles have changed A LOT. I am blinded by the sun most of the time if I don’t wear them. My Husband has a big head so every pair of sunglasses looked ridiculous on him.

As far as gift ideas go, I suck. If we had a lot of money I could think of a billion things to get him. This year he is getting a DVD about submarines that I got with our Charter points.

Eric's Mommy  |  June 18th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

• The official cheater gift in our house is something photo related. New pics for his wallet (maybe in a new wallet?), framed new pics of the kids, um, maybe jazz up that #1 Dad Mug with a photo or two???

Yeah, so I’m pretty clueless too. My husband is getting a massaging shower head… Hopefully it is what he wants.

Laura Williams  |  June 18th, 2010 at 11:33 pm

• How about a heated vest for snowmobiling? He may already have one tho. hmmm… my Hubby is easier to buy for this year. Some years its harder tho.

monstergirlee  |  June 19th, 2010 at 12:35 am

• I’m finding buying for my dad hard this year…and when I finally figured out something, I realized I couldn’t get to town in time to get it at the Farmer’s Market. So his card reads…your gift is coming next week. How sad?!

Sorry but as you can see, I don’t think my suggestions would be much help, since I’m drawing a big, HUGE blank here. :)

Amanda  |  June 19th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

• I got mine a new book and his favorite Purdy’s chocolates all wrapped up in a new t-shirt and stuffed in a gift bag.
    Done like Dinneh.

Danica Grunert  |  June 19th, 2010 at 2:20 pm

• Gift card for Home Depot? Lame, but easy and he gets exactly what he wants. That’s what my kids did.

My own dad got a box of Purdy’s chocolates. Always a hit.

Aneta  |  June 21st, 2010 at 11:21 pm