Committed: The Ties that Bond

with Angella Dykstra

I'm a mom of three, a professional accountant, and an amateur photographer and writer. I am not a marriage expert. But my husband and I take "Til death do us part" seriously, and here I'll be sharing how we keep our marriage strong while we both do that insane work-life juggle.

Check out my Work It, Mom! profile and my blog, Dutch Blitz.

What makes your marriage awesome?

Categories: love, marriage

Writing about marriage and relationships could be tiresome, I suppose, but Tuesdays are supposed to be more “personal experiences” and Fridays are supposed to be more “link to another article and give commentary.” The problem is finding posts or articles that encourage and support marriage. You can find 1,001 (or more!) articles talking about how to get a date or how to deal with divorce or how to HAVE AN AFFAIR.

After scouring the Internet for a marriage/relationship/sex related article that was in support of marriage and relationships and not, you know, giving you tips on how to have an affair, I was a little bit frustrated. I did what anyone else involved in social media does and vented on Twitter.

After a few exchanges, my friend Metalia had a rock star reply:

So, I threw the #marriageparty challenge out to the Internet and here is what the Internet threw back at me:

(I know it’s small and hard to read, and Molly concurs below. I’m technology impaired, so it might be best to just search Twitter for the #marriageparty or @AngellaD because there are SO MANY great responses.)

I can only go back so far, apparently (*shakes fist at Internet*), but if you look up the hashtag #marriageparty there is MORE.

(Edited to say that I woke up this morning to even more #marriageparty tweets. So, so great.)

We are not saying that marriage is perfect or without hiccups, no. Not at all. I just think we should celebrate the good sometimes. Or a lot of the time.

Would you like to share with the class what makes your marriage awesome?

• Awesome idea and some awesome commentary! But, I had to go to Twitter to read the content of the post because the writing is too small to read on this post. Please consider copy-pasting individual images in a larger size or entering tweets as text to make it readable.

Molly  |  March 11th, 2011 at 11:42 am

• I would if I had any idea to do so. Trust me. I’d probably have to capture them a different way and I can’t do that from my work computer. :)

I think the best thing is to look up the #marriageparty hash tag anyway, because when I woke up this morning there were a whole lot more. So awesome.

Angella  |  March 11th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

• Best. Idea. Ever.

Mrs. Wilson  |  March 11th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

• I’m not married yet (maybe soon?) but love hearing the responses to this. Also, if you click on each screen shot, it will enlarge it so you can read it.

K  |  March 11th, 2011 at 1:52 pm

• He makes up funny songs to sing to me when I’m blue (my personal favourite? “Emotional Eating” sung to the tune of “Sexual Healing.”)

He makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches in the world (which is awesome because I can’t make one without burning the bread.)

He always takes the garbage out.

He puts up with my crazy.

I could go on and on.

hillary  |  March 11th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

• You are not so technology-impaired. If anyone clicks on the Twitter screen captures they get bigger! Big enough to read clearly!

For the record, I’m still holding out hope to be Mrs. Joshua Radin, mostly so he can serenade me to sleep every night. That is, if I don’t become Mrs. Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Mrs. James Franco first.

#marriageparty

Kerri Anne  |  March 11th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

• My technologically impaired self is feeling left out of the party (it’s my own fault I know).
    My marriage is awesome because of what it has survived.
    I’ve been thinking lately of how amazing it is that we made it, and we’re still together. Sometimes he has been the bad guy and I’m in awe of the strength God gave me to forgive and hold on and sometimes I’ve been the bad guy and I’m amazed that my husband somehow found the strength and willingness to hold out for better times.
    I feel like we’re finally moving back into better times. It has been so long. I am so happy.
    Thank God.
    I feel like because we made it, anyone can make it. I want to encourage others to hold on through the bad times.
    I love this saying I read in a novel once:
    “You said ‘for better or for worse.’ Well, this is the worse.”
    Hold on for the better! Work for it!
    Hmmm. I must be feeling excited today.

Danica  |  March 11th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

• great idea! I just clicked on each conversation and it opened it up bigger in a new window. (i heart my imac) (and i heart my man)

rachel joy  |  March 13th, 2011 at 4:24 pm