Committed: The Ties that Bond

with Angella Dykstra

I'm a mom of three, a professional accountant, and an amateur photographer and writer. I am not a marriage expert. But my husband and I take "Til death do us part" seriously, and here I'll be sharing how we keep our marriage strong while we both do that insane work-life juggle.

Check out my Work It, Mom! profile and my blog, Dutch Blitz.

Does the “Easter Bunny” still visit?

Categories: holidays

I don’t know what your childhood consisted of when it came to Easter (maybe you celebrated Passover)(which sounds kind of awesome), but my siblings and I always woke up to a basket of Easter chocolates and goodies on Easter Sunday.

When I first married my husband, we would both get Easter baskets from his parents. Once we had children of our own, they stopped that action, naturally. So, the “Easter Bunny” (me) now loads up her cart with goodies for my three children and my husband. I no longer get my own basket, no, but I am OK with that. I also feel no guilt when I pilfer from their baskets when they are not looking.

How about you guys? Do you still get Easter candy? Or did it all stop once you “grew up”?

• I don’t remember when the Easter baskets stopped for me. I have much younger siblings, so for their benefit, I am sure the tradition continued at least until the youngest was too old to “believe.” Probably in my early / mid-twenties. For a while, I kept bringing candy to my parents’ house to keep it festive, but since everyone is always trying to lose weight, I stopped that as well.

I stopped eating chocolage at least a decade ago. However, I usually buy some tasty non-chocolate treat so I can partake in the festivities. And I enjoy the Easter eggs. I don’t get a basket for myself, though.

SKL  |  April 22nd, 2011 at 10:31 am

• Yes, the Easter bunny still comes to our house… though I have to be honest, I’m a little creeped out by the vision of a giant bunny (even if he does come bearing treats).

We only have one child, but we put together a Mom/Dad basket in addition to buying for her. Ours is much smaller than hers, but this way I have no guilt about pilfering her candy. :)

bessie.viola  |  April 22nd, 2011 at 11:31 am

• I think last year was the first year my parents didn’t get me a basket, at my request. I still got a few Easter treats from them but I told them I didn’t need any chocolates because I’d bring them home and would never eat them!

K  |  April 22nd, 2011 at 11:57 am

• Matt’s mom and his grandmother, who has now passed, always made sure to toss a little Purdys our way. I hope his mom keeps doing that!

I am now the Easter Bunny (and Santa… and…).
    This year was a little tricky since I am committed to buying fair trade chocolate only. I thought about making my own chocolate bunnies with molds but didn’t get around to it. So I bought white chocolate bunnies instead. And of course, all sorts of gummy / sugary treats for the egg hunt. I wonder if my kids will notice the lack of milk chocolate? Probably not.
    Hopefully by next year there’ll be fair trade easter chocolate available.

Danica  |  April 22nd, 2011 at 1:18 pm

• Growing up we’d always get a 1lb chocolate bunny on our breakfast plate on Easter Sunday. The holiday is very much centered around the religious reasons for our family, but the “Easter Bunny” did always visit. It stopped when I moved out of the house after high school, obviously, but if I’m ever at my parents house for the holiday (most years), there’s still a chocolate bunny on Easter morning, which I love. I’m not sure if there will be one this year, since my family is so much more health conscious these days, but we’ll see! :)

Sharon  |  April 22nd, 2011 at 3:22 pm

• My mom always used to send me an Easter care package with candy, clothes, and money when I was in college but after I graduated it stopped : (

Imagine if the Easter bunny brought you a basket that had a massage or facial gift certificate, bottle of wine, a cute scarf, box of fat free calorie free delicious chocolates, and a gift certificate for Amazon. That would be sweet! I can dream right?

mneave  |  April 22nd, 2011 at 11:55 pm

• In my house, my kids know the “Easter Bunny” is Mom and Dad. I don’t really remember it being any different when I was growing up either. We didn’t have time for a long hunt before church on Sunday. Now, us grown-ups buy chocolate and candy treats, hide it all in plastic eggs on the Saturday night, then the kids wake up on Sunday morning to go on their hunt. If the weather’s decent, we’ll include the front and/or backyards.

I’ve heard of such extremes - kids getting expensive presents for Easter, visiting Easter Bunnies at malls to pose on their laps - I think it all sounds a bit much. Like my cousin posted to Facebook this weekend, “The Easter Bunny is not Santa! Spread the word!”. LOL…..

Now that we are grown-ups, nobody buys chocolate for each other. But we are more than happy to pilfer the kids treats!

Angela  |  April 25th, 2011 at 12:19 pm

• The Easter Bunny visited a bit when she was younger but she never really cared or seemed involved in the myth so I stopped it. This year she didn’t even want to go looking for eggs so we didn’t.

Though candy may still show up from time to time, I love peeps, she loves chocolate anything.

We had the Easter Bunny visits but it didn’t last long because my mother didn’t enjoy the taking away of the religious nature of the holiday and I get that a bit too. She never “hid” the baskets well and as soon as both of the kids found them, stopped even pretending. Then we just got the candy direct from grandma (mmmm….butter cream chocolate eggs…)

Mich  |  April 26th, 2011 at 3:17 pm