My husband and I went on our first date on November 30, 1999. We got engaged on December 30, 1999. (Yes, one month later.) We got married on May 20, 2000 (five months later.)
Passive aggressive comments aside, we were told that our first year of marriage would be HARD. We would fight a lot, we would have a hard time adjusting to being bonded to another person, there may be dishes smashed in the process.
We had none of that. My husband and I share the same two main love languages (words of affirmation and acts of service), which helps a lot. I am fiery, but he is calm and steady and we just balance each other out. This is not to say that I wish he could get more fired up about stuff sometimes, or that he wishes I could not be so emotional sometimes, but it’s all good. Most days.
I feel like taking some time to lay out why my spouse is so awesome.
- He’s tall (6′2″), dark, and handsome.
- He cleans the floors. I’ve done the same … five times? Maybe six? In twelve years of marriage.
- He makes me snort-laugh.
- He bakes, he cleans (more than floors), and he (literally) pays the bills.
- He’s athletic, is fit (RAWR), and inspires me to do the same.
- He is the most hands-on Dad that I know. Middle of the night feedings when the kids were babies, diaper changes, shuffling them to activities, coaching soccer, tucking them in at night, and so much more. There’s a reason that he’s the favorite parent.
So, tell me. What qualities in your spouse do you find to be awesome?