My husband and I both have a case of the Januarys, coupled with fighting a cold (him) and battling PMS (me). We’re open about it and while it would be easy to just grumble and groan, we’ve made a plan to get us out of our funk.
1. Skip work and go skiing while the kids are in school. We have seasons passes to the local hill, flexible jobs, and the desire to have some time on the chairlift without little ears listening.
2. Go on a date night. Those fell by the wayside over the holidays, but he was given some restaurant gift cards over Christmas and it’s my birthday this weekend, so. We’re going OUT.
3. Sneak time away, even while at home. Last night, we put a movie on for the kids and told them that we were going upstairs for a “nap.” And then locked our door.
4. Send random texts of kindness. Self-explanatory.
5. Spend time on the couch, TV-free, to chat. Just sit together and talk, after the kids are in bed, with no expectations of “nap time” to follow. We’ve started making a regular habit of this and it’s so great to get caught up and share more than the every day stuff.
Do you have any suggestions to add?