A few times a year, I find myself heading out of town for work, and I’m usually gone for three to five days. My husband is more than capable of running the show while I’m gone, but I do as much as I can to make it less hard on him than it needs to be. We run this house as a team, but we both have areas that we’re in charge of. Here are some of the things I do to help him do “my” jobs while I’m away.
1. Meal plan. I do this every week, but when I’m away I plan meals that require less coercing of our children. I write the meal plan on the chalk board in the kitchen, do a big shop, and prepare as much as I can before I leave. If I’m feeling ambitious, I’ll cook up a casserole or lasagna and freeze it.
2. Tape a weekly calendar to the fridge. We use our Google calendars just like everyone else, but having it written out on the fridge makes it easier to see all of that week’s commitments. I write down all activities, school times, library days, you name it. My husband knows what’s going on, and so do my kids.
3. Update our phone list. I’m the social convener for our kids, which means that all of their friend’s phone numbers are in my phone. I leave a list with those numbers, plus the Doctor’s phone number, the school’s phone number, etc.
4. I email my kids’ teachers. I’m the one who volunteers at the school and who picks up our kids, so I’m the parent that they usually contact. I let them know to contact my husband, so there’s no delay if they try t reach me and I’m in a meeting or something.
5. I lay out outfits for my daughter. My sons dress themselves just fine, but my daughter’s wardrobe is out of my husband’s realm of knowledge. She and I will choose the outfits for the days I’m away and line them up on top of her dresser.
What organization/planning tips do you have?