Trying to get myself out of the door in the morning is a feat in and of itself. Over the past fourteen years it went from me, to me and him, to three of us, to four of us, and then to five of us. I now have one kid in middle school, and two kids in elementary school. Mornings can be chaotic on a good day, and that’s an understatement. Here’s how we make it less stressful:
1. Pack lunches the night before. Nobody likes packing lunches. Nobody. If you try to pack lunches in the morning on top of everything else, it only makes the morning worse. I get my kids to unload their backpacks and lunches after school, and I’ve started getting them to pack their own lunches. I make sandwiches, but they pack the fruit and everything else.
2. Get the coffee maker ready. Filling up the coffee maker with water and washing out old coffee grinds at 6 am, making you have to wait that many more minutes to pour the black tar of hope into your face hole is not an option.
3. Unload the dishwasher before bed. Sorting forks and knives and spoons are the last thing you need to be doing in your race to feed everyone and get them out the door.
4. Do any dinner prep the night before. I am a meal planner, and will chop vegetables/marinate meat/take buns out to thaw in the evening. It’s one less thing to think about in the morning.
5. Lay out the next day’s outfits the night before. Tracking down gym strip and/or running shoes and/or a favorite dress five minutes before we have to leave is the absolute worst.
How do you make school/work mornings less stressful?
Subscribe to blog via RSS