My husband and I aren’t ones to cuss (much). He’s a pastor at the church we attend and there isn’t a lot of cussing that happens in our circle of friends. There is the occasional stubbed toe, etc. that can see me muttering something blue, but I (usually) keep it under control if the kids are around.
Classic curse words aside, there are a number of words that are off limits in our house for both my husband and I, as well as our kids.
1. Shut up. Not acceptable, and never spoken between my husband and I, unless it’s regarding disbelief about something.
2. Stupid. Or any name calling (i.e. Idiot, Jerk, Loser, etc.). The only names I call my kids are nicknames such as monkey or turkey, etc. I never call them a name with a mean connotation and they don’t call each other names, either.
3. Hate. No “I hate you”, no “I hate this”, no hate whatsoever. If they don’t like something, that’s all that needs to be said.
4. Retard(ed). I’ll occasionally hear the word used in public in reference to something or someone being dumb and I CRINGE. My kids have friends in their school with special needs and they have never used or heard that word at school. Here’s hoping their generation can school mine.
5. Oh My God/Jesus Christ. God and Jesus are at the heart of our faith, and hearing them used as a curse word in public startles me every time. My kids know that it’s not appropriate to use their names in vain.
Are there any bad words that are off limits in your house?
Subscribe to blog via RSS