with Angella Dykstra
I'm a mom of three, a professional accountant, and an amateur photographer and writer. I am not a marriage expert. But my husband and I take "Til death do us part" seriously, and here I'll be sharing how we keep our marriage strong while we both do that insane work-life juggle.
Check out my Work It, Mom! profile and my blog, Dutch Blitz.
I am a firm believer in learning the love language of your spouse, and for him to learn yours. My husband and I have similar — and different — love languages. Knowing our differences has helped us communicate better and show each other love in the way we’re wired to receive it. That said, there are things that I do to show my husband love which has nothing to do with his love language.
1. Cook him a good dinner. I am a good cook, and am a food blogger. I love to cook and to bake and my husband loves to try new recipes and eat anything in the sweets department (chocolate is his favorite).
2. Take care of yourself. Even when I was dealing with newborn babies, I would shower, put on clothes, and use makeup to make me look pulled together. I now do all of that, as well as run or work out six days a week. I feel confident in my skin, and my husband … appreciates it.
3. Send him sweet notes. Whether it’s a note in his lunch, or a text, or a funny IM conversation, let him know that you think he’s neat.
4. Take interest in his interests. My husband loves to hunt, and to talk about hunting and while I have no desire to shoot game, I love to listen to his stories. The same goes for mountain biking trips with his brother — not my thing, but listening to him all animated is kind of awesome.
5. Be his partner. We’re in this crazy journey together, so we talk about it all, vent about it all, and laugh about it all.
What do you do to tap the heart of the man in your life?
Subscribe to blog via RSS