My life is busy — it’s always busy, hence the tagline on my personal site that Life Can Get Pretty Crazy Around Here. I have three kids and five jobs and many friends and too many obligations. I go through life propelling forward with my arms doing windmills, and that’s on a good day. These past few months saw me having extra work, which I needed to do in order to bank for the quiet (work) period from January through April.
I’ve pulled many long days and dropped many balls and have had to say no to many things that I would have loved to say yes too. There really are only so many hours in a day and I like to spend some of them with my family. I like to spend some of them sleeping, as well.
The last two months reached the point of unsustainable, but after this week I should be at the point of the “normal” busy.
My husband is busy as well, but we make an effort to stay connected in the midst of the chaos. Here are a few ways me make that happen:
1. Meet for lunch. Our kids are all in school, so we don’t have to worry about babysitters. We get to be Leisurely Lunchers.
2. Stay at the table when the kids are done. We make sure our kids have eaten their protein and at least two bites of vegetables and we send them on their way. We debrief the day without little ears listening.
3. Make time for a Date Night. I know, I know. You’re too busy for a date night. But you get to spend some time eating food you didn’t cook and you don’t have to put your kids to bed. You might also end up on the stage with a famous comedian.
4. Text each other. Or pick up the phone. We touch base all day, whether it’s a “how are you?” or a “do we need this from the grocery store?” There’s also the random “I have no idea about pop culture” text.
5. Have sex. It’s not rocket science. It’s even better.
How do you stay connected when life gets busy?