with Aliza Sherman
If you own a business - home-based or otherwise - this is the blog where you'll find practical tips and smart ideas about entrepreneurship. I've started and run 4 different businesses so "been there, done that." I'll also invite successful entrepreneurs to share their best advice with you.
To learn more about Aliza, check out her profile on Work It, Mom! and her website, www.mediaegg.com.
I received a review copy of Simple Wisdom for the Not So Simple Business World by Lynda Barbaccia. The book incorporates the author’s suggestions for infusing the workplace with more positive energy and less stress. She emphasizes rituals, creating a sanctuary, and incorporating more mindfulness into one’s day. Chapters in the book are short but each guides you to a new activity or new way of looking at the old ways of work.
Here are some of her ideas for transforming work and the workplace:
- Lessen mess to create more harmony.
- Use a lamp versus overhead lights to add warmth to your workspace.
- Add color to your workspace understanding the energy of colors.
- Build a workplace shrine including a bowl to contain written intentions for improving business.
- Learn to meditate to bring more mindfulness to your work day.
- Let go of power struggles.
- Bring laughter and humor to your work.
Barbaccia’s book is compact, easy-to-read, and you can enter it at any chapter and receive some advice or guidance to making positive change in your work and work environment. I actually carried it around with me while traveling on business and found I could apply many of the practices in the book to any space and any work.
Taming the Monkey Mind by Thubten Chodron
Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chodron
Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
What’s on YOUR reading list?
Subscribe to blog via RSS