Full Time, All the Time

with Britt Reints

Forget the 9 to 5; the demands of a working mom aren’t limited by a time clock. Full Time, All the Time is a blog about balancing the many roles of a modern woman - and maintaining your wellbeing while doing it. I am a writer, mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend and sometimes volunteer living in Pittsburgh. Oh, and I think you look pretty today.

You can also find Britt on Twitter and at InPursuitOfHappiness.net.

“Traveling for work” and other things that sound a lot cooler than they are

Categories: Uncategorized, break from reality

When I was a little girl, I wanted to grow up and work in an office.  I wanted to put on high heels and nylons every single day and carry a briefcase.  I wanted to commute.

And I wanted to stride through the airport with my suitcase in one hand and frequent flyer card in the other, headed out on another very important business trip.  Traveling for business has always sounded so glamorous to me.

And then I grew up and went to work in an office.

I had to wear high heels.  And nylons. And it didn’t matter that it was too hot for nylons or that flip flops were the only thing that could have made a 12 hour work day more comfortable.  I had to commute.

And I had to travel for work.

Traveling for work is not, come to find out, glamorous.  At least, it’s not glamorous for the majority of people I’ve talked to who have had to do it.  It involves 48 hours spent in a hotel room in a city that you’d like to visit some day.  It involves dinner alone and 15 minutes of quality family time over the phone.  It’s a 6am flight so you’ll land in time for the meeting and no one will have to pay for an extra night in a hotel room.

Traveling is one of my great passions in life, but traveling for work, more often than not, blows.

I consider conference calls, lunch meetings and business dinners to be in the same category.

Of course, maybe that just says something about the things that I think sound cool in the first place.

What parts of your job sound a lot cooler than they actually are?

• When I was in advertising, it was producing radio commercials. A couple of hours of “try that again but this time…” and then having to listen to the commercial you wrote spoken repeatedly to the point where you’re convinced you really need to quit because, wow, do you suck. And then you had to wait for the tapes for the radio stations.

Good thing the engineers were cute.

Finn  |  August 4th, 2010 at 7:05 am

• What I love about business travel (when it involves an overnight) is the fitness center. I never find enough time to exercise, but when I’m sitting in the hotel, with all that gleaming equipment doors away I find it easier to say, “I’ll just go work out”. At home, when all the gleaming equipment requires getting in the car, dropping child off in the care center, it seems so much easier to say “I’ll watch a little TV”.

Mich  |  August 4th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

• When I started working for this new company, it came with the ” traveling will be part of it”, even though my husband was not too convinced about the traveling part (we have a 3 year old) i was secretly excited about it.

Few months into the job i got my first assignment which was Greece and Syria. Never been there before, and i was one happy camper. Yes it was lonely at times, but after three years of juggling work, son, husband, house etc, it was sooo nice to be alone in some hotel drinking a nice cup of coffee.

I realized is something i dont want to do all the time (at least not for a long period of time) since after one week all i wanted was to hold my son back, but it was nice nevertheless, to scape the daily routine in the name of work.

Mari  |  August 5th, 2010 at 10:55 am

• What parts of your job sound a lot cooler than they actually are?

Um…all of it.

Phe  |  August 5th, 2010 at 11:43 am

• I am SO with you on the travel. It’s completely not glamorous and exhausting and while I do my best to try and find*some* enjoyment in it (e.g. I can throw the towels on the floor in the bathroom) it definitely sounds more glamorous than it is.

Nataly  |  August 5th, 2010 at 6:04 pm

• Being and actor or an artist of any kind always sounds way cooler than it is. Unless you are one in a million that makes it huge, it is just a lot of struggling and being broker and wishing for a “normal” job.

Oceans Mom  |  August 5th, 2010 at 7:26 pm

• “Oooh, you’re a professional writer?!!” Yep. And what I get to write usually goes like this:

Congratulations to Michael Smith, MD, PhD, who just received a $250,000 grant from the National Cancer Institute to investigate the role of cancer stem cells on the tumor environment.

and

Send Dr. Andrew Jones over the edge! He’s raising money for the Colorado Cancer League by rappeling down a 30-story building …

Writing for a living sounds glamorous. And yes, I do get to occasionally write really amazing stories about really amazing people. Glamorous though? Not in the least.

Also: I get to travel 3 times a year to a meeting of a national board I sit on. I love every single trip, but that’s because when I arrive at the meeting city, I’ll hang out with fun, smart people, burn out my brain from thinking too hard, then burn out my liver from drinking too hard. If I had to travel more often, and there weren’t these cool people on the other end, I would not love it either.

lynn @ human, being  |  August 6th, 2010 at 10:15 pm

• I rarely have to travel and when I do, it is for fun business events with networking and my last trip (hosting at the Masters) also involved meeting/ seeing celebs…
    Which is interesting to think back on this now, when I was warned after my training and before I started the job (in the golf industry) that it would involve “a lot of international travel” and “was I sure that I would be able to fulfill my job at full capacity if I was pregnant”. Yes, if the pregnancy had worked out, it would have been harder, but I would have worked harder too. The job involved about 3 international trips in 2 years… and they were going to discriminate because I was pregnant?

FrenchNad  |  August 10th, 2010 at 8:34 pm