Whether or not you love what you do, working is a reality that many women can’t avoid. If the bulk of our lives are comprised of work days, we’d be wise to figure out how to enjoy them as much as possible.
1. Have a good morning. The way you begin your day tends to set the tone for the remainder of it. Starting with spilled coffee, rushed breakfast, and an argument with your kids is likely to sour your mood at work. Do some planning the night before (pick out clothes, pack lunches and backpacks) so you can head to the office with a smile on your face.
2. Take breaks. There are limits to how long your brain can focus on one task, so you can actually improve your productivity by stepping away from your work every few hours. Use this time to connect with co-workers or move your body, two activities that are proven to boost happiness.
3. Avoid multitasking. Not only will you get better results if you work on one thing at a time, but you’ll be taking better care of your brain. Multitasking overworks the part of your brain that manages motivation and willpower, which makes it really hard to make choices that make you happier.
4. Help a co-worker. It’s no fun to have to pick up the slack for a lazy officemate, but research shows that we do like helping people out - even at work. Instead of waiting for extra work to be dumped on your desk, volunteer to lend a hand when you can.
5. Eat a healthy lunch. Food provides fuel for your body and your brain. Eating a healthy lunch - whatever that means for your body - can help you avoid that afternoon slump that makes you watch the clock and hate your job.
As with anything having to do with happiness, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution for being happy at work. Experiment with these ideas that have worked for other people that see how you can adapt them to meet your needs.
What do you do to feel happier at work?