I'm Mama Harris, the wife and mother to a large blended and multicultural family. In my lifetime I've been a single mom, a step-mom, a working mom and now a stay at home mom. My kids range in age from toddler to newly adult and I write about my kitchen adventures and the variety of foods and recipes I feed my family at From the Kitchen of Mama Harris. I've experienced all aspects of mommy-hood and look forward to sharing my kitchen tips, tricks, recipes and shortcuts!
There’s a special magic about Valentine’s Day that makes it indescribably fun for kids. Why not make a fun treat that your kids will love to create with you, almost as much as they’ll love to enjoy!
For more Valentine inspired treats check out these 16 Sweet and Savor Valentine’s Day Treats
During this past holiday season my best friend from childhood came to visit and we had a fun day of cooking in my kitchen. She shared this recipe with me, and we added to it by drizzling the chocolate dipped Oreo Bites with white chocolate. This would be a great base recipe for many occasions, and kids absolutely love joining in. My five year old had a blast breaking up all the Oreos and rolling them up in balls with the cream cheese. It was messy fun, just how kids like it!
The fun thing about this treat is that the more messy it gets, the more you’re doing it right. You can customize it for any holiday or taste too! You can use different types of chocolate to coat the oreo ball in, you can also change up the drizzle with icing or different flavors or colors of chocolate drizzle, and switch up the flavor of oreo to suit your taste. You can also pop these on a stick for a fun Oreo pop or add some fun sprinkles to top it off.
The fun and ideas are endless, and kids really do have the best ideas. So grab a package of your favorite cream filled cookie and some bowls and aprons and have some fun!
Personally, I think these would be fun dipped in white chocolate with a dash of red coloring to make them pink. Drizzle with melted cherry chips or red icing and add a bit of Valentine’s Day sprinkles for some the perfect fun snack for your little loves.
Here’s what you’ll need, customize as you wish.
- 1 package double stuffed Oreo’s, I used the traditional flavor
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, to coat the Oreo Bites
- 2 ounces white chocolate, for drizzle
- Place the Oreos in a large freezer bag, and smash with a rolling pin. Make sure it’s reduced to crumbs with no chunks.
- Combine the smashed Oreos with the softened cream cheese until well combined.
- Form little bite size Oreo balls by rolling in your hand, then placing on a sheet of wax paper.
- Melt the 6 ounces of chocolate. I typically place it in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20 seconds at a time while mixing between each time until the chocolate has melted completely.
- Dip each ball in the chocolate, then place back on the wax paper.
- Melt the white chocolate the same way as you did the milk chocolate.
- Drizzle with a small spoon over the dried chocolate balls.
- Sprinkle as desired.
Subscribe to blog via RSS