I'm Mama Harris, the wife and mother to a large blended and multicultural family. In my lifetime I've been a single mom, a step-mom, a working mom and now a stay at home mom. My kids range in age from toddler to newly adult and I write about my kitchen adventures and the variety of foods and recipes I feed my family at From the Kitchen of Mama Harris. I've experienced all aspects of mommy-hood and look forward to sharing my kitchen tips, tricks, recipes and shortcuts!
Since I’m often busy with the kids and working at home, my husband tries to make it easy for me when it comes to his lunches. One of his absolute favorite things for lunch would be a sandwich made up of cold cuts. He’s not even picky about the meat, it could be bologna, ham, turkey, pastrami, salami.. the list goes on. Slap a bit of mustard and mayonnaise on there and he’s a happy camper. Many times this is the sandwich he requests for lunch and while I can appreciate that there are no frills, but it can still get quite boring to make. Just because I’m busy doesn’t mean I want to make a sad sandwich.
So I choose to liven up his sandwich, and of course he doesn’t mind. This is easy to do and here’s how:
- Add fresh veggies. Spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, sun dried tomatoes, pickled bell peppers. Get creative!
- Include a great kick. I’ll often use spicy brown mustard instead of the original bright yellow kind. In addition, I’ll spread a bit of horseradish into the mayonnaise and include a few pepperocini’s for a great bite.
- Mix it up with different breads. Instead of plain sandwich breads, I’ll but sandwich rolls, fancy wheat bread with the seeds sprinkled on, or even some Hawaiian rolls. You can also slice up a loaf of French or Italian bread for softer or crispier variety to mix it up.
- Also mix up the cheese. Instead of just using those boring slices of American cheese, try adding Pepper Jack cheese for an additional kick, or Swiss, Colby, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Provolone, maybe even Feta and cream cheese. Play around with different flavors and get creative.
- Make it a grilled cheese sandwich. I’m not really a cold cuts sandwich girl, but make it a grilled cheese and I’m all the way in! It’s so simple too, just make the sandwich how you normally would, and grill it in a saute pan with a bit of butter or margarine. Even if it’s for later it still tastes great!
Subscribe to blog via RSS