It seems every year that I get a little more overzealous with Thanksgiving. We have our tried and true favorites that we always love to whip up each year, but throughout the year I see a few new recipes I’d like to add or try. Thanksgiving ends up being a huge feast with a ton of leftovers that sometimes is too much for even my big family to enjoy. With all those amazing side dishes and delicious desserts, everyone wants a little taste of everything and then you can be left with a lot of turkey and no idea what to do with it all. Leftover Thanksgiving turkey is one of my favorite types of leftovers because it’s so versatile! Here’s some great ideas to get you going with your turkey leftovers.
- Turkey Noodle Soup. I make this every year! I even have a recipe for it on my blog, and it always hits the spot after all that heavy Thanksgiving food. You just boil the turkey carcass in a huge pot filled with water. After simmering for a few hours, the meat falls off the bone, you skim the liquid and drain out all the solid pieces and you have turkey broth and a lot of delicious meat. I use that broth and simmer it with my choice of vegetables, such as carrots and celery, add your choice of seasonings and some egg noodles. It’s a perfect soup for the weekend after Thanksgiving.
- Turkey & Stuffing Grilled Cheese. This is my favorite, sometimes I reminisce about Thanksgiving throughout the year, just due to this sandwich alone. It’s rather simple, just take two pieces of bread, some leftover stuffing and a few strips of turkey, add some pepper jack cheese or other favorite, and cook it like a grilled cheese. It’s excellent!
- Breakfast Scramble. Sometimes I make my eggs with onions, bell pepper ham and other veggies. Replace the ham with some diced turkey and it’s a delicious alternative for breakfast. Great as a breakfast burrito or hash scramble too!
- Meaty Turkey Mac & Cheese. Take a traditional Macaroni and Cheese dish, cook it with some broccoli and pimentos and add some cubed turkey. This will take a simple Macaroni and Cheese to the next level!
- Turkey Burrito or Tacos. Shred up the turkey and use it in the same way you would chicken in burritos or tacos. They taste fabulous and it’s a great way to use up all that extra turkey.
- Turkey Pot Pie. I also have a great recipe on my blog for Chicken Pot Pie, if you replace it with turkey meat it’s perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers!
- Turkey Lasagna Roll-Ups. Use shredded or cubed turkey as part of the filling, adding spinach and mushrooms to your favorite lasagna. Instead of laying the lasagna noodles flat, create a lasagna roll. A fun, new approach to lasagna using turkey!
- Shredded Turkey Salad. Create a salad using all your favorite ingredients and adding some shredded turkey. I always love a good salad.
- Turkey Chili. Using cubed or shredded chicken as the meat, whip up your favorite chili. This is sure to become a new favorite!
- Turkey Taquitos. Shred up just a bit of turkey meat, adding some tomato paste, cheese and seasonings. Wrap in a corn tortilla and fry. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
What are some of your favorite ways to use up your extra turkey meat?
Is there anything listed here that you can’t wait to try?