Rice is a staple in so many homes, it’s an easy ingredient to whip up as a quick side, or even as part of a main dish. My husband and son are rice fanatics. They will literally make a pot of white rice and eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even a midnight snack. They like to add a little milk and sugar to it, so it’s sort of like an oatmeal. Often when they make their big pot of rice they leave a lot of leftovers that I’m left with to figure out how to use. They don’t even use the leftover rice the following day, they just make another pot.
Through the years this has left me with a predicament, because I hate to waste food. So I’ve discovered quite a few ways to use this leftover rice to my advantage, it’s kind of like meal planning and it’s a great time save since it’s already been prepared. SCORE!
This is actually a great problem for the busy mom to have. A lot of really good meals that include rice actually call for the rice to be cooked a day or two in advance. Otherwise, it may become too mushy when you add it to your dish. Using leftover rice is actually a great option! Here’s a few ideas to get you started.
Ideas for Leftover Rice:
- Rice pudding. Mix rice with some milk, butter, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and you have yourself a delicious treat!
- Stir fry. The best stir-fry begins with a good cooked rice and oil. You can add scrambled eggs and vegetables, or even customize it with chicken, beef or shrimp!
- Chicken soup with rice. A good, hearty soup is a great way to use up some leftover rice. It’s especially helpful during the polar vortex that much of the country is experiencing, great way to keep you nice and toasty!
- Sausage and rice casserole. A hearty casserole is another great option, and an efficient way to create a quick meal with all that leftover rice!
- Black bean and rice burritos. A great dish on it’s own, or you can even add eggs, vegetables and salsa to create a delicious breakfast burrito. Perfect for leftover rice the next morning!