Milk and Cookies

with Kristen

I'm a mother of five, a bargain hunter, a recreational comparison shopper, and always trying to make more time - for me and for you, too. On this blog I'm sharing my favorite tools and finds to help make your work-life juggle a bit easier.

You can find my personal blog at Swistle.com.

Birthday party gift ideas for a 10-year-old girl

Categories: Crafts and activities, Fashion, Gifts, Learning activities, Toys

William, Robert, and Elizabeth have all been invited to a birthday party this weekend, so I need to come up with three presents for a 10-year-old girl. I could use a hand, if you have a minute—and then we’ll have this later as a reference for the next time we need it!

She likes cats, and she likes anything cute or fuzzy. She likes Phineas & Ferb, and SpongeBob Squarepants. She likes crafts. She plays soccer. She’s William’s age and grade and is mostly William’s friend, but she plays with everyone when she’s here.

Normally I aim for about $10 for a party gift (in this case, from each of the three children), but I’d be willing to go a little higher.

First candidate: Aurora Plush Fluffee Fluffy Tails (photo from Amazon.com), about $9.00. Most households already have more stuffed animals than they can handle—and yet, the sight of this cat reduced our household to “OHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!!”s of cuteness.

Second candidate: Rory’s Story Cubes (photo from Amazon.com), about $7.00. These look fun—but maybe they’re the sort of thing that look fun to the grown-ups, but make the kids think of school. Still, William thought they looked neat.

Third candidate: American Girls Bears Sew and Stuff Kit (photo from Amazon.com), about $10.00. William found this and liked it. There’s also owls and raccoons, but William thought she’d like the bears best.

Fourth candidate: Toysmith Crystal Mining Kit (photo from Amazon.com), about $9.00. William got this for his 10-year-old birthday, and I think it was probably his favorite gift. There’s a pretty assortment of crystals buried in a block of “rock” (more like compressed sand/glue), and you chip away with little tools until you dig out the crystals. It makes a bit of a MESS, but the sand stuff is dry and easy to sweep/vacuum up, and then you have the crystals to keep in a little bag.

Fifth candidate: Plasma ball (photo from Amazon.com), about $25.00. This is really too expensive—BUT, if two of the kids chose less-expensive gifts, it would average out to being okay ($25 + $7 + $9, divided by 3, is only $13-14 per gift).

Sixth candidate: Beanie Ballz: Guinea Pig and Beanie Ballz: Penguin (photos from Amazon.com), about $6.00-8.00 each. They’re grapefruit-sized, very very silky soft, and all the kids are losing their minds over how cute they are. I think we’d get these two (yes, yes, two Ballz, I get it, ha ha, very funny), but there’s also a monkey, a hamster, a panda, a dog, a pink cat, a bee, and a ladybug.

Seventh candidate: Temporary tattoos: mini butterflies, Temporary tattoos: henna butterflies (photos from Amazon.com), about $1.50 per book. These qualify for “4-for-3″ (if you put four of them in your cart, when you check out the cheapest one is free), so we’d choose eight different books and it would cost us $9.00 (or if we had trouble narrowing it down, twelve books for $13.50).

********

Do you have other ideas for this age?

• I have way too many ideas for this age! All of the neighborhood girls are into plastic knitting looms right now: http://www.amazon.com/Darice-1171-58-Round-Plastic-Knitting/dp/B001GAHFHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311777870&sr=8-1

Last year my Spongebob-loving daughter received a bunch of Sbob desk supplies (planner, pencils, etc.) which was great for back to school.

Also, I’ve been eyeing the Harry Potter knitting book for my daughter’s birthday because, come on. SO CUTE. http://www.amazon.com/Charmed-Knits-Projects-Harry-Potter/dp/0470067314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311778087&sr=8-1

Nowheymama  |  July 27th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

• My nieces always loved jewelry at this age. I got them some cute necklaces, bracelets, and earrings at Kohl’s. I got them relatively nice stuff- a step or two up from Claire’s.

I am loving those Beanie Ballz though.

-R-  |  July 27th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

• So have you thought of getting one present from all three kids? I can’t imagine that the family that invited you expects three separate presents (unless you’re doing that so each of your kids can pick their own gift to give). Then you can go for something bigger and probably save a bit of money. I’d think $25 from all 3 is more than enough. The plasma ball seems perfect if you think the kid will like it.

Robin  |  July 27th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

• Breyer horses!

Superjules  |  July 27th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

• I just clicked on the BB penguin, and it’s on sale for $3.54!!!

-R-  |  July 27th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

• I kind of love that you let each child pick out a present to bring. I bet that makes them feel really special. Teaches good “present giving” skills as well. I feel like boys sometimes don’t get taught that.

Anyway, art sets are always fun with a bunch of different mediums like paints, markers, crayons, pastels, etc. With a large book of art paper. I can’t think of any kid who wouldn’t like that. Heck, get it for me. I would like it. :)

Misty  |  July 27th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

• One of those 3 or 4 tray beading kits? Fabric paint?

A beginner’s knitting book, some needles, and eyelash yarn to make a scarf?

liz  |  July 27th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

• Robin- I have, but you’re right: they each want the fun of choosing/bringing their own!

swistle  |  July 27th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

• Ooh!!! A bright-colored empty tool box that you can fill with art supplies!

liz  |  July 27th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

• My 10 year old daughter just gave her friend a gift bag filled with items to make her own cards~card stock, envelopes, stickers, stencils and a special pen. Jewelry making kits are also a big hit with girls, as are little nail kits filled with bottles of nail polish, buffers, nail art, etc.

Kristin  |  July 27th, 2011 at 7:55 pm

• Maybe a kit to make scrabble tile pendants with a set of cat pictures to use?

bunnyslippers  |  July 27th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

• I love those Ballz…I know my daughter would go nuts over those!

We go the craft route a lot. Pens, pencils, notebooks (all cute stuff) with fun scrapbooking stickers. I always think girl gifts are easier…maybe because I am one.

Melanie  |  July 29th, 2011 at 2:39 pm

• You’re right! My oldest is only 5 so I’m still learning to include her in my decision making for presents. It’s actually fascinating to me that I can’t really distract her any more and just get something appropriate that’s on major sale:) But talking about that, was at Target last night and they had a few cute things in the 50-75% off clearance section of the toys. Might want to check it out!

Robin  |  July 29th, 2011 at 8:41 pm

• My twins (girls, 12) like the My Friendship Bracelet Maker visit the website here: http://www.myfbm.com/
    Hours of fun, hours of no bickering, and great gifts to give and receive…for them they even made 30 or 40 of them and sold them at our garage sale this summer for a buck each! Great time waster for long summer vacations!

Michelle  |  August 12th, 2011 at 5:09 pm