How to Make Crack, a.k.a. Bean Dip

Categories: Entertaining, Food, Uncategorized

So you are going to a million and one holiday gatherings and have no idea what to bring with you. What about this bean dip recipe? I call it crack because once you start eating it you will not be content to stop until it is all gone.

You will want to make it every day. But alas you can not unless you would like to invest in a new wardrobe consisting primarily of elastic waist pants. Susan would not like that.

Every time I have made this and brought it to a party it has been gone in a matter of moments. I gave the recipe to my friend Heather awhile back and she brought it to a party where one party goer was so impatient for more he grabbed a measuring cup to eat it with. That information simultaneously pleased me and made me recoil in horror.

This is what you will need:

DSC_01931

2 blocks of cream cheese

2 or 3 cans of vegetarian refried beans (why vegetarian? I have no idea other than that is what I always buy.)

2 small jars of salsa or 1 large jar

2 packages of taco seasoning mix*
2.5-3 lbs of ground meat (turkey, chicken or beef will do)

Brown the ground meat in a pan. Add the taco seasoning mix and cook according the instructions, which I think is universally add water and the contents of the packets and cook some more.

DSC_02001

Take out a large pyrex baking dish. Mine is bigger than a 9×13…11×14? I don’t know. Are these things standard size?

Drop the two blocks of cream cheese into the pyrex dish. Do you need a photo for this step? Okay, I aim to please.

DSC_01951

Spread the two blocks of cream cheese on the bottom of the baking dish. You aren’t painting. There is no grade for spreading it completely even. In fact, I like to think it tastes even better all messy like.

DSC_01971

Then open and spread the cans of refried beans making a layer on top of the cream cheese layer. If you have children this is where they will begin making potty/vomit jokes. You can beat them to it by declaring, “I love poop in a can!”

DSC_01981

Then pour the browned and seasoned meat mixture on top.

DSC_02051

Pour the salsa on top of the meat layer and sort of mix the two layers around a bit. The best part about this recipe is that the children can help spread the ingredients.

DSC_02091

Superheros can do it also if you happen to have one of those hanging around your house.

Then sprinkle the cheese of top. And if you don’t have cheese you can just skip it and it won’t matter.

Put into the oven… oh maybe 350 for like 30 minutes or so. Until it is hot and the edges are bubbly.

Then take it out and eat it with the LIME flavored Tositos, which are like crack by themselves. You can also eat it with regular Tostitos. If you must.

DSC_00011

This recipe serves 1-10 people depending on how piggish you are. And piggish you will be.

DSC_00171

In fact, you may feel the need to tear off your shirt and eat topless, so great will your joy be.

I served this last night for dinner with what I like to call a decorative salad. You know the kind you make and it sets there all pretty on the table in its beautiful wooden bowl and makes you feel like you are providing a good balanced healthy meal. You know the kind of salad that every single one of your children ignore. Yet in spite of them ignoring it, I feel smugly superior about making it.

DSC_00181

Enjoy.

* I generally make my own taco seasoning. It is very easy.

Mix these ingredients together in an airtight container:

2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
4 teaspoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon coriander

This makes a lot. Just use about 3T of the mix per pound of meat and 1/4 c water. This has a bit of a kick to it, so give it a little taste as you add it if you are making it for children. My children like slightly spicy, somewhere between mild and medium.

• Mmmmmm! This sounds delicious. I will definitely be trying it. I promise not to blame you when I end up in rehab for my crack addiction. ;)

Lily Calla's Mama  |  December 18th, 2007 at 6:46 pm

• You had me at “two blocks of cream cheese.” Holy hell, I had to loosen my pants just from READING this. ;)

Mir  |  December 18th, 2007 at 6:58 pm

• OK, I was chuckling my way through this until I got to “In fact, you may feel the need to tear off your shirt and eat topless, so great will your joy be”, at which point I simply had to laugh outright or burst. My students, who are currently taking final exams, did NOT appreciate it. I blamed you.

P.S. This is what I do with leftover taco meat… I mean, I know you don’t know the meaning of “leftover” at your house, but… At any rate, I didn’t use cream cheese, but shall be doing so from now on. Three cheers for cream cheese!

Rachel May  |  December 18th, 2007 at 7:17 pm

• While I will NOT relent on the elastic waist pants, I DO wholeheartedly endorse topless dining.

What?!?

Susan  |  December 18th, 2007 at 7:36 pm

• mmm, I still remember the last time you posted about this (but hubby STILL hasn’t brought me free lime Tostitos that he can supposedly get from work).

Thanks for the taco seasoning recipe, too, we have to try to use a low-sodium diet for hubby’s blood pressure, and the store-bought stuff is all salt!

Brigitte  |  December 18th, 2007 at 7:38 pm

• Yum! I will definitely be making this.

Jodi  |  December 18th, 2007 at 7:42 pm

• Thanks Chris, I have friends visiting on Friday and I work till 5pm so this will be perfect to prepair Thursday and then bring out on Friday and say “ta da I just whipped this up”. And thanks for the spice mix too, that will come in very handy often.

Maddy  |  December 18th, 2007 at 7:49 pm

• I think you use vegetarian beans to avoid the ever artery clogging LARD!

We used to make this in high school but always called it puke. Some jokes never grow old — no matter how ‘mature’ you are supposed to be. Or at least I think we were supposed to be mature at 16 while we were wiping this from our faces as we giggled and talked about boys!!!

Nikki  |  December 18th, 2007 at 8:24 pm

• Yum! I make this crack dip, also. In fact I am making it to take to a Christmas Party tomorrow night. It is always, ALWAYS gone first.

peepnroosmom  |  December 18th, 2007 at 8:55 pm

• Yummy! I, too , will be making this very soon…like maybe tonight because I have nothing better to make for dinner and most of the ingredients are in the cupboard already!!

Kendra  |  December 18th, 2007 at 9:09 pm

• YUM! Thank you! :)

ChristieNY  |  December 18th, 2007 at 10:17 pm

• That sounds delicious, I can see why it’s so popular. I have just discovered lime corn chips - they are great, particularly since my children don’t like them much, so I actually get to eat some!

Jane  |  December 18th, 2007 at 11:06 pm

• yum! now if you could just package that right up and send it over my family would be happy campers! ha!!

i might even have to *gasp* try to make this myself! i have been scared of seasoning type stuff in the past as i have no idea what i am doing, but i may try this one!

though - i will go all the way with the vegetarian theme and even make it with fake meat :)

Kate  |  December 18th, 2007 at 11:17 pm

• This recipe is very similar to one I make for my family that we call “Beaver Stew.” My son has a tendency to mangle names and he couldn’t remember the original name so that’s what he came up with. It stuck.

Suzanne  |  December 19th, 2007 at 2:10 am

• We make a similar thing we call “Beanless Bean Dip”…. But its made with beanless chilli instead of refried beans/beef/salsa.
    Spread 8 oz of cream cheese in a 8×8 pan. Top with 1 can beanless chilli. Sprinkle with cheese. Microwave untill bubbly.
    I think it would have a similar if less mexican taste to it, and its SUPER quick to mix up. It also fits perfectly into one of the short rectangle gladware containers, so I often put one together in that, and bring it pre-cooked to a friend’s house for a get together, since I don’t care about getting the container back.

Katrina  |  December 19th, 2007 at 7:45 pm

• Thank you - I’ll be making both very soon!

jen  |  December 19th, 2007 at 8:13 pm

• Katrina and I share a love for telling our variation. Instead of the refried beans and meat, I put on salsa mixed with black beans and corn. After the shredded cheese I add chopped green onions and black olives. I have eaten large quantities of this where only in restrospect do I consider how much of a slab of cream cheese I have just ingested.

Elizabeth  |  December 20th, 2007 at 1:46 am

• So which spice/spices give the taco seasoning it’s kick?? I buy a packet of seasoning that I love, but it does need a little kick!

Ashley  |  December 20th, 2007 at 10:40 pm

• I made this tonight… AMAZING…

Karen  |  December 21st, 2007 at 12:16 am

• Made it…Loved it. The beauty is though that there are only 5 people in our family so we had lots of left overs. And silly Chris…a bowl of baby carrots and ranch dip is way easier than the salad!

Kendra  |  December 21st, 2007 at 2:46 am

• “Sprinkle the cheese on top, before putting it on the oven…..”
    What cheese would you sprinkle on top?
    This sounds sooooo yummy, I don;t have to share it with my children do it? lol

Chris says: A mexican blend of shredded cheese, you know like taco cheese. And you absolutely do not have to share.

Clare  |  December 21st, 2007 at 7:38 am

• Made this tonight and LOVED it! I am definitely hooked on crack now, thanks to you. Hubby says he is going to eat the leftovers for breakfast, lol. Thanks for the great recipe - and the kids gobbled it up, too!

Kari  |  December 24th, 2007 at 4:04 am

• Made this for family - HUGE HIT!!! THANKS!!!!

My husband says “when in doubt about what to make for a party, MAKE THAT!”

Mom at Work  |  December 27th, 2007 at 1:47 pm

• I made this for Christmas eve. I doubled it so I could have some leftover. My husband put a big (warmed) scoop of it on a tortilla. I tried it. What a yummy burrito!
    I’ve always wanted to ask you, where did you get the recipe? Did you come up with it yourself?
    I think it should be patented or whatever the equivalent is for recipes. It is so dang good.

Chris says: I am certain that I did not come up with it myself, but I have no idea where it came from.

PollyS  |  December 28th, 2007 at 6:55 am

• OH MY. I made this last night and instead of the decorative salad did some sides of avocado, tomato and sour cream and served it with corn chips and soft tortillas.

WHAT A HIT!

kim at allconsuming  |  December 31st, 2007 at 10:25 pm

• [...] took Crack to our Church Pot Luck today. It’s really [...]

Char’s Blog » Pot Luck  |  January 7th, 2008 at 4:02 am

• [...] never go back to my old chili recipe. It was AMAZING. And then, of course, we had to have some Bean Crack, as well, and I made that with veggie crumbles instead of meat (because we had vegetarians coming, [...]

Woulda Coulda Shoulda » We’ll always have Pyrex  |  February 4th, 2008 at 2:47 pm

• Don’t know if you will get this so much later than it was written, but on the off chance…
    made this for lunch today with Chicken Tortilla soup, (made with black beans instead of chicken) and it was a HUGE hit. We all ate way too much, but I am having it again tonight so I can eat too much again. Mmmmmmmm. Thanks for the recipe. Delish!

Mama Bear  |  April 6th, 2008 at 10:50 pm

• [...] after your kid’s t-ball game, or church, and have a pot luck.  I’d also make the Crack Dip and Hummus and set out a few bowls of chips and a veggie [...]

In the Crockpot: Pulled Pork Sandwiches - Ordering Disorder - Work It, Mom!  |  April 17th, 2008 at 5:25 pm

• I have two boys, so “I love poop in a can!” had me on the floor. My all-girls-mom-coworker didn’t find it as funny. :)

Kathy  |  April 17th, 2008 at 8:19 pm

• Mmmmmm! I made this and oh my gosh! m family scrafed it down!
    They love it!

Sydney  |  April 22nd, 2008 at 7:13 pm

• oh and lol
    Poop in a can!
    I would suggest sprinkling some crushed taco shells or tostittos :)

Sydney ((AGain!))  |  May 23rd, 2008 at 8:36 pm

• =D

Sydney ((AGain!))  |  May 23rd, 2008 at 8:37 pm

• [...] I made Chris‘ bean crack, because I do loves me some bean crack and lime Tostitos. And then—on a whim—I also [...]

Woulda Coulda Shoulda » A meanie redeemed  |  October 6th, 2008 at 2:29 pm

• [...] little fashion advice right about now. And wait. I think Chris has some recipes that might work for the big game. She does have a baseball team-sized family she is feeding every [...]

Gearing up for the big game - Mommy Needs a Business - Work It, Mom!  |  November 12th, 2008 at 3:08 pm

• business ameriplan opportunity ameriplan business opportunity

business opportunity ameriplan  |  December 14th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

• thanks this was a hit now im famous but i still give u your credit

christina  |  February 1st, 2009 at 7:06 am

• Sounds delicious!!! I can’t wait to try this one myself!

Lovlee  |  April 18th, 2009 at 7:24 pm

• This recipe is perfect! My husband and stepsons pigged out. It went well with cheese pizza and spanish rice. In addition to salsa, I seasoned my veggie crumbles with rotel. It was OUTSTANDING!!!!

bridgette long  |  April 19th, 2009 at 1:05 am

• ok, we’re having crack with pretty salad (which also will be ignored, but strangely, if I place solitary lettuce (romaine) leaves on a plate, they’ll be devoured) tonight. But we can’t get canned beans here or taco seasoning so maybe tomorrow since I’ll need to start some beans a cookin….

kathy  |  December 27th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

• This stuck in my head, so when I needed something different for a baby shower, I decided to give it a try - untested, even! It received a big thumbs up. (whew) I linked to it on my weekly roundup - post is under my name. Thanks for sharing!

Lenetta @ Nettacow  |  January 10th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

• **TIP**: Sprinkle a little bit of real crack in with the beef to be SURE that your dip is a hit at the party ;) hahaha jk sounds good tho!

Brian D  |  February 7th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

• what cheese and how much on top? it is not listed in ingredients.

montgomery  |  March 28th, 2013 at 9:30 am