When You Have No Time:Crockpot Chicken Salsa

Categories: Cooking, Food, Meal Planning

Today was one of those days. You know the kind where you pop out of bed first thing in the morning (or crawl out kicking and screaming) and never stop going.

I had a doctors appointment early this morning, which confirmed that, yes! I do still have a heartbeat. And no! I am not dying any time soon. And that was all good news. The doctor did ask me at one point if I have a lot of stress. I just laughed. I have a husband, children, and I work from home while trying to co-ordinate a whole house renovation that has been going on for three years and shows no signs of ending. Stress isn’t my middle name, it is my salutation.

But this isn’t about me.

I have another recipe to share. It is so easy that I am not sure you could even call it a recipe. It is perfect for days like this when you don’t even have the time to brown things in a pan before your day begins.

This recipe was given to me by our very own Mir. (I hound her mercilessly to find out what she is cooking for dinner and frequently end up making the same thing for my family. Also, she loves it when she tells me some food thing and I type gagging noises, because she doesn’t get enough of that from her kids.)

The recipe.

You need:

boneless chicken breast

large jar of salsa

can black beans

corn (frozen or canned)

Put the boneless chicken breast in your crockpot. (I even put it in frozen)

Dump one large jar of salsa (for every 4 breasts)

Drain and rinse one can of black beans and dump in crockpot.

Corn- I usually wait and put this in right before I serve it. It only needs to warm up, not cook.

Turn your crockpot on and leave it there all day. Come back 10 hours later and open the crockpot. Shred up the chicken. Stir it up good.

I serve this in bowls with a side of shredded Mexican cheeses and sour cream. And we eat it with Tostitos.

You could eat it in taco shells, but the kids always crush them and then whine when the pieces fall on their plate. As a general rule I like to avoid whining at the table, unless it is mine.
I love to eat this leftover for lunch the next day wrapped in a soft tortilla. It will thicken up significantly in the refrigerator overnight.

Yes, that is the entire recipe.

• I am absolutely making that this weekend.

She Likes Purple  |  January 10th, 2008 at 9:05 pm

• At my house we actually call this “Geez, Mom, did you make that crockpot chicken bean thing AGAIN?”

Your way is more succinct.

Mir  |  January 10th, 2008 at 9:20 pm

• Yeah, I have that recipe. I usually beef it up with extra veggies and stuff. The frozen mixed veggies work well too.

I’ve made it with chicken legs and thighs too.

Chris says: But what about the bones in the legs and thighs? Do you have to remove them? Or eat around them?

Nicole  |  January 10th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

• Please keep it comin’ - I think we can all use easy recipes!

Diane  |  January 11th, 2008 at 2:23 am

• Oh! That. Sounds. Awesome.

Thank you!!

Lee  |  January 11th, 2008 at 1:50 pm

• Thanks! I’m always looking for ways to feed the family beans. I would just serve them a big plate of beans every night but for some reason they don’t think that’s very exciting.

The Lazy Organizer  |  January 11th, 2008 at 3:48 pm

• Awesome! I LOVE my crockpot and we’ve not made this yet.
    Dumb question - how soft does the chicken get? My 3.5 yr old is very annoying and won’t eat anything she has to chew for more than a few seconds.

Chris says: If you cook it all day, the chicken will all fall apart. So not much chewing at all.

Nataly  |  January 11th, 2008 at 4:12 pm

• omg i might actually be able to make this one! though i am going to try it with Quorn’s meatless chicken cutlets. if it’s really horrible we can just go to plan 2 right? tostitos with cheese melted and a salad!

Kate  |  January 11th, 2008 at 4:48 pm

• Wonderful! As a working mom, I am always looking for an easy way to get food on the table soon after walking in the door at night. (Actually just posted a recipe on my blog that does just that today). I’m so glad I found this recipe and your blog. Thanks!

Judi  |  January 11th, 2008 at 8:40 pm

• Hi Chris,

In response to your question above - you can get skinless boneless thighs if you want. I find the meat cooks so well, it just sort of falls off the bones - that thing with pulling it apart is the same thing. You can remove them, or just eat around them. I expect if you have small, small kids, you’ll want to take them out. Chicken legs work well because the bones are big enough to see and pull out.

Nicole  |  January 12th, 2008 at 2:22 am

• I cannot wait to try this - it sounds so good!

Rebecca  |  January 12th, 2008 at 3:16 am

• I am sitting here writing my grocery list for the week and also reading blogs (ahem!) and you just gave me the idea for dinner tonight. How easy and sounds so yummy!

{heather}  |  January 12th, 2008 at 7:09 pm

• OK, had to report back — this was yummy, and my daughter ate it. New staple around here:)

Nataly  |  January 14th, 2008 at 3:18 pm

• Thanks for this one. I had everything on hand and just threw it in my crockpot. Can’t wait to try it!

Shelly  |  January 14th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

• Yum! I will be trying this SOON. Grazie!

Miss Eliza  |  January 15th, 2008 at 1:55 am

• Question: how much is a “large jar” of salsa? I only ask because we cook with so much salsa that I buy the giant 72-ounce plastic jugs of it. So I’m trying to figure out how much of a those bulk jugs to use for this recipe. Anyone?

Chris says: I just went and looked and a large jar is 24 ounces.

Shannon  |  January 17th, 2008 at 12:09 am

• Made this tonight. Figured my kids’d all turn up their little noses at it, but lo and behold, they not only ate it (served over those yummy lime tortilla chips and topped with taco cheese), most went back for seconds!!! Husband and I and oldest son topped ours with jalapenos and sourcream. YUM. Definitely a keeper.

Carolyn  |  January 18th, 2008 at 2:19 am

• Thanks, Chris. I’ll be making it this week for sure.

Shannon  |  January 21st, 2008 at 12:08 am

• Tried this last weekend and it was a hit!

Pamela  |  January 23rd, 2008 at 3:16 pm

• We had alot of this leftover (who knew 6 chx breasts made so much) so I added another can of beans (southwestern black flavored with cumin), a can of green chilis and the striped carcass of a rotisserie chicken, mixed it well, rolled in flour tortillas, covered with a mix of fat free cream of chicken and green chili enchilada sauce (mixed BEFORE putting on top) and baked. Topped the last few min with cheese. They were YUMMY!!!

Carolyn  |  January 23rd, 2008 at 11:00 pm

• I live by this recipe - have made it for years. The only difference between ours is that I use crushed pineapple instead of corn - try it!! MMMM - I especially love the fact that you can add frozen chicken breasts, perfect for us scatterbrain moms, I mean spontaneous cooks! Thanks for sharing - I love reading your blogs!

Mother Mae I  |  January 25th, 2008 at 1:49 am

• OMG this is delicious! I couldn’t stop eating it and telling my husband that it’s so easy and healthy and easy and delicious. Plus it’s so easy!

This is definitely a new staple at my house.

Amanda  |  January 29th, 2008 at 8:52 pm

• This is a favorite in my household - I also add a couple cups of minute rice (cooked in the micro while I am shredding chicken) and let that cook until dinner time.

Michelle  |  January 30th, 2008 at 9:49 pm

• Trying this one tonight. Even I can make this!

Ashley  |  February 15th, 2008 at 5:49 pm

• Loved this recipe! Do you have any other crock pot recipes like this (ie, just dump everything into the pot at once without pre-cooking parts of the recipe in a skillet beforehand)?

jennie  |  February 19th, 2008 at 5:49 pm

• I do a similar thing — I toss in frozen chicken breasts, sprinkle on a packet of taco seasoning, and add one can of chicken broth. (Same thing with shredding the chicken, but I put it back into the juice in the crock pot for a few minutes to let it rehydrate.)

Then, when I get home, I stand near the crockpot and whisper sweet nothings into its ear because my house smells like a cantina and dinner is only 5 minutes away.

Rachel May  |  February 22nd, 2008 at 1:47 pm

• Question from a novice crockpot user..I assume this has to be cooked on low since it’s supposed to be on for 10hrs….

Chris says: Yes! On low.

Lisa  |  March 4th, 2008 at 2:27 pm

• Another winner! Thanks Chris!
    (One question though….I cooked it on low for 9 hours and it smelled like it had sort of started to “burn” - do you think some crock pots run “hotter” than others?) Because of the burnyish smell I was a little afraid to try the finished product…but it was indeed delicious!

Chris says: Hmmm, that is entirely possible.

Rebecca  |  March 15th, 2008 at 1:41 am

• [...] have posted this recipe in a different incarnation by cooking it all in the crockpot. Even though the ingredients are [...]

Chicken and Rice with Black Bean Salsa - Ordering Disorder - Work It, Mom!  |  March 27th, 2008 at 8:24 pm

• Oh yum! I love this.

I am going to have to make this today. I might add some chipolte sauce….or some mole. I am officially drooling.

jody  |  March 31st, 2008 at 1:23 pm

• I made this yesterday and was surprised by how tasty it was (I typically don’t like to use just salsa as a seasoning). It was popular with everyone and reminded us of a yummy crockpot chicken tortilla soup I make, but I think they are different enough I’ll be able to keep both recipes.

I’m looking forward to trying Carolyn’s trick of making the leftovers into enchiladas - YUM!

Kim  |  April 4th, 2008 at 5:58 pm

• [...] who would not have made a good pioneer. But I embrace that about myself. Last night I cooked the Chicken with Salsa in my crockpot. A few nights ago I had chili in the crockpot. But the truth is that over the past [...]

Vegan Portobello Mushroom Wrap Recipe - Ordering Disorder - Work It, Mom!  |  August 22nd, 2008 at 12:18 pm

• I’m making this recipe as we speak. The house smells yummy. I bought taco shells, sour cream and cheese for this. Can’t wait to try. And yeah…it was INSANELY easy to prepare! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Alyssa  |  January 17th, 2010 at 1:04 pm

• Can I do this on high for 4 hours from frozen chicken breasts? I need it done for a dinner and only have that much time.

Stephanie  |  September 9th, 2012 at 12:08 pm