Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, and Chicken Breasts

Categories: Cooking, Food, Meal Planning

potato-chicken6

Hello, my name is Chris and I love roasted vegetables. Specifically I love roasted potatoes. I don’t think my family shares my undying potato love, however. Unless saying that you are going to wish for a potato famine is a compliment.

I have a problem with getting stuck on a certain food and making it over and over again until I am sick of it and/or my family stages a revolt. Summer 2007 will always be known as the Summer of Hummus. Just ask Susan, she told me on the phone the other day that she hasn’t eaten hummus since July when we spent a week together and I forced her to eat it every day.

And this is the Winter of the Potato. Amen.

This is one of those recipes that is so easy and so versatile. You really can’t mess it up.

The ingredients:

Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed, skin left on
Big carrots, scrubbed, unpeeled
Onion
Sea Salt

Chicken breast
Olive oil

1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon powdered chipotle pepper

In the morning I take a large ziploc bag and pour some olive oil into it. Then I dump all the spices into the bag. (You can use whatever spices you like, add more chili powder and chipotle pepper if you like things more spicy or use none at all if you don’t.)

The I take the frozen chicken breasts and stick them in the ziploc bag to marinate on the counter. Every time I walk by I squeeze the bag and rub the spices around.

Back to the potatoes and carrots. After you scrub them you need to cut them up. Like this:

potato-chicken5

If you do not have little slaves helpers, you will have to do it yourself.

potato-chicken4

Holding the carrot up to your nose and pretending you are a snowman is optional, though highly recommended. As is singing the song Frosty the Snowman, because then you will realize that Frosty has a button nose. Why does he have a button nose? He totally should have a carrot nose. Speculate that maybe because he smokes a corn cob pipe a carrot nose would be a fire hazard.

Put one carrot aside in the refrigerator to save for the next snowman that you build.

potato-chicken3

Put all of the chopped carrots and potatoes in a baking dish.

potato-chicken2

You know what, toss in an onion. I like to leave the onion in big chunks so that I can easily remove them from the plates of the picky children.

Pour olive oil over this and mix it up really well so all the pieces are coated. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt.

You are now going to cover it with tinfoil and put it in the oven set to 350 for an hour.

potato-chicken

When the hour is up, pull the baking dish out and put the chicken breasts right there on the top. Pour the whole bag in. Cover with tinfoil and pop back in the oven for 30 minutes, or until your breasts are done. Chicken breasts that is. Not your breasts. Those probably are done. Are you there God? It’s me Chris, still waiting for those breasts you know.

Take out of the oven, remove the chicken breasts. Stick the baking dish back in the oven set to broil for five minutes or so. You don’t have to do this part, but I like them to get crunchy on the outside. Just don’t forget about them or they will burn.

(You can do this with any kind of meat. Last weekend I used a pork rib roast. Which in some ways was easier because it took the same amount of time for the roast to bake as it did the potatoes. Not the same spices though. I used sea salt, rosemary, thyme and garlic. I also made little slits in the pork roast and put garlic gloves in the little pockets.)

My favorite part about this meal is the leftovers.

The next morning I take the potatoes and fry them up in a pan , like hash browns. I am wishing I had some of this leftover right now.

So c’mon and join me in the Winter of the Potato.

• That looks REALLY good. And easy. And since I have carrots and potatos I need to use up, we’re now having that tonight. The chicken is thawing/mairnaiting as I type! :-) Thanks for sharing.

Tina  |  January 24th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

• Yum! Yum! I can’t wait to make this!

aimee  |  January 24th, 2008 at 4:06 pm

• I am sooo joining you. I often do this dish though I use a whole chicken and never thought to do the veggies for a bit first. Hmmm. DH will eat it all if I include lots of celery. The roast chix was on my menu for tomorrow but I think I’m going to try it your way.

And you made me spit out my coffee with the Are you there God…I apparently read the book too many times and overdid the exercises b/c, um, let’s just say God’s laughing at me now.

Mandy  |  January 24th, 2008 at 4:29 pm

• I make roasted potatoes at least once a week. I.LOVE.THEM. Two of my children think that I am planning their demise each and every time I make them because it will TOTALLY make them “gag” or they might even “throw up” to just look at them to which I say you know where the toilet is.:)

Carrie  |  January 24th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

• Mmmm, I love roasted veggies. I’m on a parsnip kick right now. I tried to convince my kids that they were very pale carrots, but they still thought they were weird. That’s OK — more for me!

Lylah  |  January 24th, 2008 at 4:48 pm

• Easy! Therefore, I love it. Also, cutest snowman I’ve ever seen.

Mary Tsao  |  January 24th, 2008 at 4:58 pm

• Oh I am trying this next week. (I was a good girl and planned out this week’s meals already, but next week, man, I’m all over this.)

Also, the “Are you there God? It’s me Chris” line made me choke a little. ;)

Mir  |  January 24th, 2008 at 5:18 pm

• I’ll be making this VERY SOON! Thnaks!

Michelle  |  January 24th, 2008 at 5:46 pm

• This was the funniest recipe I’ve ever read in my entire life. That said, I’m totally making this for dinner on… well, next week because Husband works til 8 tonight (ambulance), 24 hours tomorrow (fire) and we’re heading to my parents’ for the weekend. WOO!

FireMom  |  January 24th, 2008 at 5:46 pm

• I am always looking for different chicken recipes. Thanks!

Marci  |  January 24th, 2008 at 5:50 pm

• Chris, you had me at frozen chicken - I have that!
    Thanks for the laughs too. You rock!

EZibbets  |  January 24th, 2008 at 5:52 pm

• I am SO making this. As soon as I buy some carrots.

Annika  |  January 24th, 2008 at 6:13 pm

• Ohhhh….I can smell it now. I want me some of that. I’ll be joining you in the winter o the potatoe. We were having the winter of the chicken and rice. Thank you for reminding me that there were potatoes in the world.

Stephanie  |  January 24th, 2008 at 6:51 pm

• potato?

Stephanie  |  January 24th, 2008 at 6:51 pm

• Oh, I love roasted potatoes too. Haven’t made any in awhile though…I guess now I know what we’re having for dinner tomorrow!

Andrea  |  January 24th, 2008 at 7:09 pm

• I love roasted veggies, too. I love tossing parsnips in there, too.

Roasted green beans & also brussels sprouts are roasted foods that go fast here.

rachel  |  January 24th, 2008 at 8:27 pm

• Awesome! Thank you. Maybe I can pull this off and my husband will actually think I’m learning to cook…hahahahaha okay okay, baby steps, maybe he’ll actually get to eat something non-fast food related!!

kasey  |  January 24th, 2008 at 9:07 pm

• :::snort::: Chicken breasts. Not your breasts! Laugh out loud funny there, Chris!

I too love me some roasted carrots and potatoes! I can take ‘em plain or with meat choice of the day on top. If you can find Baby Dutch Yellow potatoes up your way they are deelish. And no cutting required since they are small.

salsaqueen  |  January 24th, 2008 at 9:28 pm

• That looks too good!

Oh and that is NOT possibly enough food for your family. Unless your not feeding half of them.. Which I guess is your problem not mine. :)

DW  |  January 24th, 2008 at 11:18 pm

• Chris,
    What you need to do is put together a cookbook, just like this. Not only do your recipes sound fantastic, but I would love to make dinner, dessert, crack, just to read them. It would have appeal to those of us who cook, and those of us who don’t would still love it.

Maeana  |  January 25th, 2008 at 12:43 am

• Okay, I’m hungry now.

Gift of Green  |  January 25th, 2008 at 1:42 am

• I ‘m liking all these easy recipes. My grandparents always cooked meat on top of the veg. like this but also threw in parsnips with the roasted veg..

All Christmas season my 4 year old pointed out all the snowmen on the decorations that weren’t Frosty because they had carrot noses and not button noses… he’s a purist.

Ms.carson  |  January 25th, 2008 at 2:04 am

• Delurking myself here. Nice to meet you. And I agree with the other writer that 4 chicken breasts hardly seems enough for your family? I make that amount for my two teenage boys and hubby and me. But then, we probably eat too much. Loved “Are you there, God….” Is there anyone who did NOT read that book?

Chris says: I stuck two more breasts on the top and the pan is very deep. I used more carrots and potatoes than I showed in the first photo. I just don’t want to scare all of you with my freakishly large quantities of food. My husband also wasn’t home that night. But still it was plenty. There was a enough potatoes left over for me to fry up the next morning for myself.

Lisa  |  January 25th, 2008 at 3:14 am

• The first year of my marriage was the Year of The Hamburger Helper. I’m no longer allowed to make that. This year has been the Year of the Meatloaf.

Karly  |  January 25th, 2008 at 4:17 am

• I love getting a great dinner idea and a good laugh at the same time :)

Made this last night for my family and it came out great! I used sweet potatoes and some other veggies – and I wish there were more leftovers. Next time I will make sure there is enough for the next day breakfast!

sdbab  |  January 25th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

• Good lord that was funny. And I don’t usually say that about food blogs, you know.

Susan  |  January 25th, 2008 at 3:24 pm

• LOVE roasted veggies! i am so excited to make this!! i have potatoes and onions in prep to make this but wondered what other veggies work? hard to make a meal of just potatoes and carrots and onions … well, ok *I* would be fine with that for a meal but the husband requires protein. picky picky…. I am trying to cover up lack of meat (gross me out, can’t deal with raw meat ick) with additional veggies? Or I can just give him a fake chicken patty lol hmm maybe i can just sprinkle with parmesan cheese during final browning? ideas?

btw, i am totally with whoever said you need to write a cook book EXACTLY like you wrote this recipe - hysterical commentary and all!

Chris says: Can you fry him up a fake chicken patty or veggie burger in a pan? I am not sure I would put it on top. I think the breading would get soggy. Oh or what about marinating some large portabella mushrooms and broiling them after the potatoes come out. Does that count as protein?
    Or maybe he can just eat a handful of peanuts ;-)

Kate  |  January 25th, 2008 at 8:21 pm

• ha! i like the handfull of peanuts! actually - i could roast almonds or somethign and sprinkle those in! (or whatever nuts, maybe pecans would be better)

yum!!

kate  |  January 26th, 2008 at 2:59 am

• Thanks, Chris! I made this for dinner tonight…with a side of buttermilk biscuits for…uh…well, something for the kids to help with since I’m not all over letting them use knives just yet. I swear this is the first time my husband’s enjoyed dinner in *months*…but then, maybe he was just being nice because he pissed me off by getting up to eat a cheese stick in the middle of last night’s dinner! I’ll totally be making this again! Yum, indeed!

Stacey  |  January 26th, 2008 at 4:45 am

• It looks easy and good! Did I mention I made your chicken and salsa? I served it with home made wheat tortillas and the kids raved. Thanks!

The Lazy Organizer  |  January 28th, 2008 at 5:37 am

• Thanks to you, this has been the year of bean dip…so far!

Ashley  |  January 28th, 2008 at 5:39 am

• [...] To see how she makes those simple ingredients taste wonderful, click here. [...]

What’s For Dinner? Roasted Potatoes, Carrots and Chicken « MOPS On The Hill  |  February 3rd, 2008 at 1:32 pm

• I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one that gets stuck on one food. I recently gave up popcorn in favor of brussels sprouts. So far I have found about four different ways to cook them. My kids haven’t liked any of them. More for me!

Thanks for this recipe. I am going to try it tonight… with brussels sprouts on the side.

mama ginger tree  |  February 6th, 2008 at 4:42 pm

• YUM YUM YUM! We had this last night and the vegetables were soooo good. I’m trying figure out when I’ll have enough time to make it again! Thank you!

Erin  |  March 3rd, 2008 at 4:19 pm

• This is very good. I didn’t have the skinless breast the last time but I had thighs and legs (skin on) I used them and everyone loved it even more. I also use sweet potatoes with the regular potatoes. It is very good.

Dyan  |  October 5th, 2008 at 5:49 pm

• Ok, I’ll be the one to ask ~ what book are you talking about??? I didn’t read it. I loved the recipe tho and the Not your Breasts comment, choked a little on my wine. I will definitely be trying the recipe.

Sue  |  November 19th, 2008 at 6:07 am

• Wow…I googled chicken breasts with roasted pototoes and carrots…and your site came up first…Thanks for the wonderful and hilarious directions…This is exactly what I wanted to make tonight…but couldn’t find a recipe in any of my cookbooks…can’t wait to try it…gotta go, so I can get my frozen breasts(chicken that is) marinating.

MIssy  |  February 22nd, 2009 at 3:08 pm

• I am laughing sooo hard I can barely type this! I also googled chicken, potatos, and carrots and this site came up. I’m making this recipe as soon as I get off the computer. The comment about the poster’s husband getting up in the middle of dinner for a cheese stick has me in tears! That is sooo like my picky hubby who hates just about everything. Thanks for the recipe!

Aislin  |  April 19th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

• trying your recipe right now…. smells good so far.
    love your writing still….had me laughing during food prep, which to me, makes it the best food prep ever. :-)

persephone  |  July 20th, 2010 at 6:58 pm

• Hey! Thanks for the recipe! I am a new mother and beginner cook. I needed to whip up something for dinner and your help is much appreciated.

GracelynRose  |  August 9th, 2010 at 10:57 pm

• I have been cooking/baking for 30 years. I tried this recipe and it is terrible tasting. The spices/herbs were overwhelming.

kay  |  December 11th, 2010 at 12:19 am

• I just googled potatoes, carrots, chicken breasts and I am so glad to have stumbled upon this. Hilariously written–pre-heating my oven now with high hopes for dinner and left overs.

Jenn  |  March 31st, 2011 at 11:46 pm

• OMG this blog made me almost crap a brick i was laughing so hard!!!!!!!!! im 20, living on my own with my fiance and our bratty dog. cooking dinner every day is hard, but now that i found your site… i see a new horizon ahead of me! im setting my frozen breasts, i mean… chicken breasts [even though it is a bit nippy here at home] on the counter right as we speak!!!

Michelle  |  April 16th, 2011 at 6:35 pm

• this was so good! just made it for our first meal in our new apartment. thanks for posting!

me  |  May 22nd, 2011 at 12:04 am

• If I wanted to cut the serving size to half of what you have above do the cooking times stay the same? Thanks so much!

Lisa  |  September 12th, 2011 at 11:48 am

• Great recipe, and fun to read too!

Sara Livian  |  September 23rd, 2011 at 5:54 am

• Looks like lots of people googled chicken, carrots and potatoes and wound up here. I didn’t see this until after my chicken was about halfway defrosted, but my breasts are marinating now. It’s snowing here today, so this is totally the perfect dish to make. Can’t wait for dinner!

Heather  |  October 29th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

• This may be a stupid question but could you use corn oil instead of olive oil & still have it taste ok? I love love love olive oil but I’m out at the moment & not sure I’ll have time to get out & grab any before lunch time.

Estera  |  January 10th, 2012 at 10:07 pm

• This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if you could use corn oil instead of olive oil. I love olive oil but ran out & I’m not sure I’ll have time to head to the store before lunch tomorrow.

Estera  |  January 10th, 2012 at 10:22 pm

• Thanks for this recipe, my picky kids loved it and it was a time saver. I will try with other meats aswell.

heather  |  February 10th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

• This is just the kind of recipe I was looking for! I too love roasted veggies and I’m making this tonight.

Thanks!

Marc C  |  April 9th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

• This turned out pretty good. If you’d really like a kick on the flavor, dice a mango and throw it in your chicken marinade and pour it all on top. I think that was the missing piece for me.

Willie  |  April 20th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

• 5 out of 5

Tried this recipe back in December when I was looking for comfort food that was somehow low in calories. OMG my family loves it. We honestly make it at least once a week. Love it! Huge hit at our house :)

Our little additions for grown-ups looking for a kick: add 1 chopped green bell pepper to the veggies and 2 tbsp of red wine (whatever kind you have) to the chicken marinade.

Mary  |  May 29th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

• You are hilarious to read and gave the exact info that i needed! Thanks so much! I am a year round potato every day kind of person. . .luckily no one argues!

Brittany  |  December 14th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

• This was delicious tonight. Thank you for posting it.

I overdid the bird a bit after a lowish initial temp reading, but, the cook’s incautiousness aside, the recipe is delicious. Those spuds! Gaaah. More. Spuds.

And I love your writing style.

Cheers.