Roasted Lemon Chicken with Green Beans and Potatoes

Categories: Cooking, Food

This is another one pan wonder dish. I love making things for dinner that do not require multiple pans. I hate cleaning up after I have already slaved away cooking. (Okay maybe I don’t exactly slave away, but when I have a huge sink filled with dishes and pots and pans I feel overwhelmed.)

You will need:

green beans
potatoes, scrubbed and diced, not peeled
lemons
chicken breast
extra virgin olive oil
a few cloves of garlic (I used 4)
salt and pepper to taste

Don’t you love recipes that don’t have exact measurements? I do because it means odds are I can’t mess it up.

The most labor intensive part of this recipe? Washing and trimming the green beans.

DSC_0018_edited-1

You will need a couple of lemons. Scrub the skin well since you are going to slice a lemon or two and lay them on the bottom of your baking pan.

DSC_0021_edited-1

Like this:

DSC_0024_edited-1

Drizzle some olive oil over the top. A tablespoon or so. Toss the green beans right on top of the lemons.

DSC_0025-1_edited-1

In a large bowl pour a couple tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of one lemon. Add a few cloves of garlic to the mixture.

DSC_0027_edited-1

Add your potatoes, already scrubbed and diced, and turn them around to coat with the mixture.

DSC_0028-1_edited-1

Place them in the baking pan on top of the green beans.

DSC_0030-1_edited-1

Put the pan in the oven at 450 degrees and let it cook for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, toss your chicken in to the mixing bowl and toss it around to coat with the mixture. Let it sit there while the potatoes and green beans cook.

At the 30 minute mark pull the pan out and stick the chicken breasts on top.

DSC_0036-1_edited-1

Yes, this is an awful photo that does not do the meal justice at all. It looks like one of those photos that belong on the placemat/menu of the Chinese food restaurant.

I like to fillet the breasts so that they are thinner and cook more quickly and evenly, it should take 15 minutes to finish cooking this way. (If you just tossed your breasts, well not yours, the chicken’s, on whole it will take 25-30 minutes, so just fillet them.)

DSC_0032

If you discover this in the bottom of your bowl, you should scream and freak out. Possibly even run out of the room pushing small children out of your way to fend for themselves.

When you hear those children laughing behind you, and you realize that it is a plastic toy, you are now not required to share this delicious dinner with them. They can all eat gruel, GRUEL, I say!

DSC_0033-1_edited-1

Well, except for the cute innocent one who fell asleep on the couch. One minute he was sitting there watching his beloved Ponge Bob Sqwaya Pants, and the next he just fell over asleep. The kind of sleep that is only afforded to small children and college binge drinkers.

I don’t have a photo of the finished dinner because my camera battery died. And my family is so selfish that they didn’t want to wait an hour to eat dinner so that it could charge.

• ROFL @ your sleep comments — happens to my 3 y.o. all the time, so I can identify.

I love no-measure recipes, too…. this one looks delish!

Rachel May  |  March 4th, 2008 at 5:30 pm

• this is great! How long do you put the chicken in the oven for with the potato mixture?

Chris says: if you fillet the chicken breasts, about 15 minutes. If you do not, then about 25-30 minutes.

Mandy  |  March 4th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

• Ooh, you gave me quite a the fright with that spider pic! And how adorable of your sleeping kiddo. Another great post!!

Diane  |  March 4th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

• I am totally going to make this tomorrow night (have to go and buy green beans first). Thanks, Chris!

Lylah  |  March 4th, 2008 at 8:00 pm

• God, I love your blog so much. The simple recipes, the pictures showing me exactly what it should look like, its perfect. I’m finally attempting to cook. Keep the recipes coming!

Chris says: Thank you, Tracey!

Tracey  |  March 4th, 2008 at 8:47 pm

• As usual, awesome. I made the mini-meatloaves this weekend, which were a BIG hit even with the 10-month-olds.
    Know what would make this even better? Bacon!

Melissa  |  March 4th, 2008 at 9:27 pm

• can’t wait to try it! I tried all the rest and they were delicious!!!!

cute kiddo, I wish mine would fall asleep like that!

Chris says: Thank you! Hope you enjoy it.

mandi  |  March 4th, 2008 at 11:31 pm

• Chris - I LOVE the way this recipe looks (all except the spider LOL) but I have about 30 or maybe 40 minutes tops to make dinner from when I get home from work, to when my family wants dinner on the table…any tips as to how to make this go quicker? Maybe if I bought those already-diced, already-cooked potatoes that come in a bag? What do you think?

Chris says: Jaime, I think that I would make this on a weekend then. Prepping the potatoes and string beans took time.

Alternately you could prep the green beans the night before and leave off the potatoes. Serve some rice or something instead. Food that comes already cooked in a bag scares me.

Jaime  |  March 5th, 2008 at 5:19 am

• omg,

That recipe is perfect:

Simple ingredients that picky husband will eat? check

Only one pan required so modern wife who cannot cook to save life can’t screw up recipe or have excuse to leave pots in sink forever? check

I am soooo doing it. Our one casserole that we know how to make is getting real tired.

Lindsay  |  March 5th, 2008 at 5:37 am

• Yum yum!

I need to NOT click on my bloglines feed for your recipes as I leave hungry for the meal for a few days before I can get to the store!

Thanks for the awesome meals!

Tess  |  March 5th, 2008 at 7:01 am

• Great recipies! I’ve done the other chicken one (the frozen-leave-on-the-table-one) and both my husband and my sister-in-law now think I’m gourmet!! I agree with everyone else, keep them coming!

sarah  |  March 5th, 2008 at 7:47 am

• I do a very similar dish without the green beans, I add a sprinkle a dry mix called Tuscan Seasoning on the chicken, it’s just rosemary, garlic and salt. I also add lemon slices on top to stop any burning and keep the meat tender.

It’s also a great way to use up lots of lemons if you have a lemon tree that has far too much fruit.

Chris says: I have an ice bearing tree. Icicles anyone? ;-)

Maddy  |  March 5th, 2008 at 8:05 am

• I at first read it as “Meanwhile, toss your children in to the mixing bowl and toss it around” - guess I need new glasses!

I usually try not to comment on the pics, because everybody else does, but damn! That’s just too cute.

Brigitte  |  March 5th, 2008 at 1:30 pm

• As a note to the person wanting to make it go faster, I have made variations of this one-pan rice on bottom/chicken on top dish for years. I usually use either salsa or a cream soup to bake the rice in, and either chicken or pork-chops with some kind of seasoned salt on top (just prep the pan in the morning and take it out at night, toss in the oven and bake). Never thought about trying it with green-beans, that looks delightful and I hope to try it this weekend

wookie  |  March 5th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

• One other thought is that you could use leftover roast potatoes from a previous meal in place of raw ones. I always seem to make too many potatoes when I serve them, so I’ve done that before too.

wookie  |  March 5th, 2008 at 1:49 pm

• Mmm…lemony goodness! Question…do you need to make the olive oil/lemon juice/garlic mixture twice…once for the potatoes and once for the chicken? Or is there enough left over in the bowl after coating the potatoes?
    I realy need cooking lessons.

Chris says: there is enough leftover.

Mary  |  March 5th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

• neener neener in my Wegmans store you can get prepped and cleaned bagged ORANIC fresh green beans and diced potatoes. plus oranic diced garlic in olive oil in a jar! I AM SO EXCITED because i can actually make this one! YUM! i even think my family will eat it! they dont get the chicken though - muahahaha i am so evil! maybe i could toss some walnuts in there! i bet that would be TASTY! well at least i have a huge bag of them, so gotta use ‘em up!

ok rambling… thanks again for an awesome recipee and pictures!!! so excited to try it!

Kate  |  March 5th, 2008 at 3:03 pm

• What size baking dish do you use?

Chris says: Ummmm, a big one? Use whatever size one you need to fit the food for your sized family.

Erin  |  March 5th, 2008 at 3:06 pm

• Yum yum! Can’t wait to try this. The spider totally freaked me out!!!

aimee  |  March 5th, 2008 at 3:20 pm

• Yum. I love green beans as well. This is definitely on the menu next week. I’m making your bacon wrapped mini meatloaves tonight!

jennielynn  |  March 5th, 2008 at 4:42 pm

• Hey Chris,

The recipe looked great…the beans at our store today not so much. So I grabbed asparagus. I think cut into smaller pieces it would work just as well. My only concern is maybe an adjustment in cooking time. We’ll see how it goes.

Currently…have corn chowder (w/2x the bacon…bacon…YUMMMM) going.

Carolyn  |  March 5th, 2008 at 8:00 pm

• How long do you cook it if you do small surgery on chicken breasts to remove all fat, veins, and anything else that seems to look at you wrong (hence making them look like small pieces of chicken)?

No.. I’m not a freak, I promise

Chris says: I’d say 15 minutes. I fillet mine pretty thin. You can always just pull it out and check after 10 min.

Laura K.  |  March 5th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

• THIS one, i followed. The chowder was a hit, even if bastardized as a direct result of my short attention span.

It makes me very happy to find simple, pretty, recipes all laid out for me. Especially ones that don’t require measuring!

Thank you, thank you.

Cat  |  March 5th, 2008 at 9:42 pm

• what temp should I put the oven???

Chris says: 450

Melina  |  March 5th, 2008 at 9:45 pm

• apparently I’m dumb, I found the temp and I made this for dinner tonight!!

Chris says: It is hard to go back and find it in there ;-)

Melina  |  March 5th, 2008 at 11:06 pm

• That boy looks very tender:)

Miles is too cute. They are so yummy at this age. My 4 year old will still fall asleep curled up in a little ball like that.

NoMasNinos  |  March 5th, 2008 at 11:30 pm

• I agree with Mandi. I LOVE these recipes you have posted. I’ve tried several and feel so good about the food I’m making my family. Plus, these easy recipes boost my confidence in my cooking and encourage me to experiment a little. Thanks!!!!

Lucinda  |  March 6th, 2008 at 12:23 am

• This sounds like a delicious recipe.

How would you modify it for chicken on the bone? What would the cooking time be?

Henna  |  March 6th, 2008 at 4:05 am

• Thanks for the great recipes. I am trying (stress trying) to cook better, more natural foods.

Love your blog - you have a flair with the written word. Thanks for sharing your talents.

diane  |  March 6th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

• Selfish kids!!! I have to try this because my son loves him some chicken! :)

CathyC  |  March 6th, 2008 at 2:54 pm

• Sounds good, I will have to try this one! I have a recipe that I love for chicken, wild rice, carrots and green beans, but my husband will complain if I do chicken and rice TOO many times. This recipe sounds like a nice variation.

Shannon  |  March 7th, 2008 at 5:10 am

• I love your recipes. I tried the roasted chicken, carrots and potatoes and it was a success!!

My family loved it particularly because the chicken was very soft and juicy.

I was wondering if it would be okay to bake covered after I put the chicken breasts in. Can I bake it covered at 450? If so, how long should I cook the chicken breasts for?

I am hoping to make it tonight!! Please let me know.

Chris says: of course you can bake it covered if you would like! And it should take the same amount of time.

Maitree  |  March 7th, 2008 at 3:27 pm

• I agree, these recipes motivate me to cook … because i know it will be somewhat kid friendly, pure and wholesome, I could not ask for anything more. Thanks Chris!

I made the beef stew and used red potatoes instead (all i had) but it worked fine I just cut them in half instead of cubes (for some reason I thought they cooked faster than a yellow/brown potato). The new part was throwing in the stewed tomatoes and it was wonderful, using the leftovers this weekend.

steff  |  March 7th, 2008 at 8:04 pm

• I made this tonight, but the veggies were a little too sour lemony for the youngsters, yet they ate up the juicy chicken pieces. How do you combat the sourness of the lemons, I didn’t see sugar listed anywhere in the ingredients.

cathy  |  March 10th, 2008 at 2:20 am

• Um, for those of us who can’t make a recipe unless there are measurements for the ingredients … could you give me an idea of how much beans, potatoes, and chicken you used for your dish?

Sorry, but the thought of making a recipe without measurements goes against all of my Type A tendencies.

Looks so yummy I’d love to make it for my family!

Kathryn  |  March 15th, 2008 at 5:26 pm

• Excellent post and hilarious pictures and commentary. Keep it coming, I´m just getting into your blog . . . goodness knows I could use some organization!

Genesis  |  April 11th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

• I know this recipe is from a couple of months ago, but I bookmarked it and I will finally be making it tonight. It sounds delicious :)

CathyC  |  May 7th, 2008 at 2:40 pm

• Chris, you are one hilarious woman! I love your recipes, and share them with my girlfriends, but the thing I really enjoy is the commentary that runs through each recipe…especially liked the spider in the bowl part!

Thank you so much and please, keep them coming, I so look forward to them!

angelita  |  July 4th, 2008 at 3:50 am

• I made this last night and it was VERY bitter. I think I might have used too many lemon slices? Any other ideas what I did wrong?

Robyn  |  January 9th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

• Thanks for the fabulous recipe! The best thing about it is that I memorized it just by reading it. I made this tonight, with some variations to make it faster. I used frozen green beans and roasted potatoes from Trader Joe’s. I put these in th eoven long enough to prep the chicken, then I cooked the chicken on top for 20min. All together, 45min! The chicken was super yummy and not so spicy; my two year old ate it up. The potatoes were great. The green beans were very lemon-y, maybe too much so, but I would definitely make it again.

Relaxnsmile  |  January 16th, 2009 at 2:36 am