In The Crockpot: Short Ribs

Categories: Cooking, Food

Generally speaking, I prefer ribs cooked on the grill. But the fact that my grill is currently buried under a foot of snow and whipping winds that produce a negative wind chill temperature in the air have hampered my outdoor grilling.

I pulled out an old crock pot rib recipe that I have made in the past and tweaked it a bit. This time I decided to brown the ribs first. And then I forgot to put in two of the ingredients, having lots of little “helpers” will do that to you. (IKNOW one of you will ask what ingredients did you forget so I will tell you, dry mustard and vinegar. Okay?)

The results were amazing. All of the kids loved it and declared that they were the best ribs they had ever tasted. And that I should make these every day! We will be rib-atarians.

ribs10

Hello, gorgeous.

You will need:

2 lbs of ribs
1/2 cup ketchup
2T white sugar
2T Worcestershire sauce
1tsp paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper (I usually just grind the mill a few times over the mixture)

ribs1

Put your ribs in a big skillet.

ribs2

Pour a little cooking oil into the pan. And go on and brown them. Go on. I’ll wait.

ribs6

Now set them aside while you mix the other ingredients.

ribs3

In a bowl add the ketchup. Wonder if you are hungry for fame. Decide no, that you are hungry for RIBS!

ribs4

Add the rest of the ingredients.

ribs5

If you own Thomas the Tank Engine pajamas you are allowed to sit on the table and help. Look another recipe which uses my new garlic press. I am thinking I could take that as a tax write off. Clearly it is a legitimate business expense, right?

Not that I would know, my expertise ended years ago at the 1040EZ form. But that is what I have my trophy husband around for.

ribs7

Put your ribs into your crock pot.

ribs8

Now pour the sauce over the ribs and mix well.

ribs9

Tell the children that sorry, there really is nothing else left for them to do. It is such a simple recipe.  Promise to make something more complicated next time.

Turn the crock pot on and cook on low for 6 hours.

ribs10

I am just torturing you now.

I served it with brown rice and a salad. In the summer I love to serve it with fresh corn on the cob.

ribs11

And here is the finished meal. My 3 year old, who shuns the notion of getting dressed in different clothing in the morning and fully believes that pajamas are real clothes, kept snatching the plate away to eat while I was trying to take a photo.

“Food isn’t for taking pictures! Is for eating!” he kept yelling at me.

• yum! we have 3lbs of ribs in our freezer that we’re planning to fix on Saturday.

Jenni  |  March 6th, 2008 at 9:57 pm

• This will be making an appearance here this weekend! We were talking last night about making ribs and look at that, you must have heard our talk. We just wolfed down burritos made with the salsa chicken. Mmmmmm. And last night was the chicken curry with sweet potato (only done in the oven b/c I forget to put it in the pot in the morning). MmmmMmmmMmmm. I think my husband is now in love with you.

Mandy  |  March 6th, 2008 at 10:12 pm

• Your son is absolutely right, I want ribs now.

wendyvhz  |  March 6th, 2008 at 11:13 pm

• Oh crap. So I was feeling VERY proud of myself for making the lemon chicken thing, my husband was browsing through here and submitting his orders like I was some sort of world renowned chef (we have the bar set low here, baby steps, you know), sooo I came back to print off the ribs recipe and then it finally donned? dawned? on me that the what I previously thought was a telephone with food in it is actually the GARLIC PRESS. God, two steps forward, one step back. I first saw it over at a year off, and I thought the caption “It’s staying!” meant, like ya we can’t get the damn food out of this phone, but we’re on reduced clutter program so this PHONE is staying. And, I was all, wow these people are hardcore, who wants rice in their ear? Ha, I had a good laugh though…This blog is so fun, I may have turned a corner, I actually enjoyed making supper tonight! Keep it up all!

Chris says : Hahahahaha! That is too funny. I am laughing with you. Really.

Lindsay  |  March 7th, 2008 at 5:05 am

• Ever the practical lad!

Maybe I’ll try this - I tried to cook beef shortribs once, over a decade ago, and they came out so fatty and greasy I couldn’t stand it. Does the long crock pot cook time render a lot of the fat?

Chris says: I think short ribs are just fatty by design. You probably could trim more of the fat off the ribs before cooking them. Also, after cooking the fat really stays in the barbeque sauce so you can separate the fat from the sauce if you want to use it. But the ribs themselves don’t seem overly greasy to me.

Brigitte  |  March 7th, 2008 at 10:32 am

• Well Chris, you’ve outdone yourself this week. Both the lemon chicken green bean dish and the ribs look awesome! I’m going to incorporate both into next week’s meal plan…

carpot  |  March 7th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

• haha! Lindsay! i am laughing WITH YOU! know you are not alone, a have a friend who recently tried to make pesto sauce - with dried basil… trust me, not so good… LOL!

hysterical post and GREAT photos! i am sending this to my husband (he does all the ‘meat’ cooking) so he can drool and talk about how he wants to make this for the next 3 weeks :)

kate  |  March 7th, 2008 at 6:48 pm

• Ok…so is the 2 lb. of short ribs what you make for your family? Because I have a family of 5 (which includes a 13 year old boy who’s favorite food in the entire world is ribs) and I’m not thinking that what you’re showing in the pan would be enough to feed us….maybe I’m totally wrong, but it just doesn’t look like a lot of meat.

Is this “for demonstrational purposes only”? :)

Staci  |  March 8th, 2008 at 12:43 am

• I’m drooling on the keyboard right now…I think I might have to hit the grocery store tomorrow for some ribs. I wish I lived closer to you…you know…so I could invite myself over for dinner! ;-)

Anna  |  March 9th, 2008 at 7:41 pm

• those look yummy! :) I can’t wait to make them.

Lisa  |  March 11th, 2008 at 5:09 pm

• Hi Chris!
    Long time lurker here (before Miles was born!), but this is probably my first comment.

I made these Spare Ribs and they were very yummy. Of course, any recipe involving the crockpot and meat and sauce is a winner in my book.

I have a picture of the Ribs I made on my website. I think I have an illness that urges me to take pictures of beautiful food. I just go with it.

Thanks for posting this recipe!

Angie D  |  April 14th, 2008 at 3:20 pm