The Famous Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Categories: Cooking, Food

I have one son who is not a big fan of sweets. I know, I don’t understand where he came from either. He likes the idea of sweets, but more often than not he will pass them by.

Every year for his birthday he requests carrot cake. The past few years he has baked it himself. Everyone loves this cake.

This is his recipe.

2 tsp vanilla

Frosting:

1/4 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

First you need some carrots. This is the Year of the Carrots, remember.

DSC_0046

Grate them in your food processor. Or if you do not have one use your hand grater. Then curse half way through and go out and buy a food processor. Honestly, since I bought mine last month I have wondered what I did without it.

DSC_0049

Look how beautiful it is. The kid isn’t bad either.

Add all the other ingredients to your mixing bowl. In whatever order you feel like. No really, there is no special way to do it. No need to mix things in separate bowls first. Not that I ever listen when recipes tell me to do that anyway. I do not follow instructions well.

DSC_0053

Measure carefully, or carefully-ish.

Notice the child’s broken glasses that have been repaired with the inside of a ball point pen and some scotch tape. he only had to wear them that way for two weeks while we waited for his new pair to arrive.

DSC_0059

If you have an annoying younger brother allow him to watch you. Providing, of course, that he stays on the other side of the table.

DSC_0062

It is always helpful to have tools handy, just in case the tops to bottles get stuck. Think to yourself that you really should wipe the bottle top off before putting the lid on the bottle and putting away. Promptly forget. Until the next time you need to open the bottle.

DSC_0071

Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13″ baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

DSC_0078

Of course when you allow kids to cook they also make ungodly messes. Look at that table, it has stuff on it from one end to the other!

DSC_0085

Once the cake has cooled completely it is time for the frosting.

Dump all the ingredients into a bowl and beat it all up using your hand mixer. Slather it on the cake.

cake

Then eat! Yum.

This cake is also perfect as a dessert for dinner guests. Or even for breakfast. What? C’mon it has carrots in it and eggs, too. It is practically healthy for you.

• No flour?

Chris says: Hahahaha. No it does have flour. I just forgot to type it.

Kathy from NJ  |  March 11th, 2008 at 8:13 pm

• Um, Chris, what about flour in the cake batter? This recipe is close to my carrot cake recipe - big difference being mine has a can of crushed pineapple in it, too. But NEVER raisins. ICK! Carrot cake is so yummy - especially for breakfast, as you’ve mentioned.

Chris says: Um, crushed pineapple? really? I am fixing the recipe right now…. it DOES HAVE FLOUR!

Jamie AZ  |  March 11th, 2008 at 8:29 pm

• Oh Chris…crushed pineapple=EXTRA MOIST. Seriously…you don’t taste the pineapple, just the unbelievably moistness.

I had to chuckle..my middle daughter Marissa is the same. The other three want ice-cream for their after dinner snack, she wants popcorn. And yet, funny enough, her choice for birthday cake last Sept…Carrot Cake. I was lazy though(sucks when her b-day is the week school starts)…I got it at Sams (my bad).

Carolyn  |  March 11th, 2008 at 9:43 pm

• Or, if you’re super lazy and don’t have a food processor, you can always buy the bag of shredded carrots…that’s me. This looks like a great recipe. Thanks to your son for sharing!

Shelly  |  March 11th, 2008 at 9:52 pm

• Don’t you also love how fast kids skedaddle after the cooking and licking the beater part is done?

And if you asked who is going to clean up?…i’m sure IDA KNOW would be more than willing to help. :)

Also, on your last rib recipe, is the 2 lbs of short ribs really all you need to feed your family?

Chris says: No we need more than 2lbs of ribs. I *think* I made about 5lbs? I can’t really remember now.

Staci  |  March 11th, 2008 at 10:37 pm

• My mother used to make a wonderful carrot salad, the leftover carrots in food processor reminded me of the salad.

Grated carrots
    Orange chunks (cut orange in half and scoop sections out with a knife (like grapefruit))
    Juice from scooped oranges
    Raisins

Combine above. Refrigerate for an hour or a day, serve as side dish or dessert.

Kathy from NJ  |  March 12th, 2008 at 12:06 am

• hahaha i read this earlier (pre-flour fix) and didnt even notice!
    i like to think i was mezmorized by the pictures and would have noticed had i paid attention to the recipee closer :)

i love love love carrot cake! it should be a breakfast food… right up there with french toast! mmmmmmm

kate  |  March 12th, 2008 at 1:05 am

• Your son is a genius! I’m not quite a baker and not quite a cook so recipes that I read and think, I can do that!, are great and this is totally one of those recipes for me!! And my husband and I love carrot cake! Has he ever thought of putting pineapples and walnuts in it? My mom does that and it’s tasty!!

Mishel  |  March 12th, 2008 at 3:41 am

• My husband loves carrot cake. We always have carrots in the house, but I have to make sure I don’t use them all up; the bunnies get hungry, too.

Daisy  |  March 12th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

• We’re carrot cake fiends over here. Added bonus: Even GF ones taste great. Also, my 3-year-old is one of those strange people born without a big sweet tooth… just today at school, she declined cake for snack and instead asked for an apple.

Lylah  |  March 12th, 2008 at 4:19 pm

• Cake for breakfast made me think of the Bill Cosby thing- “Dad is great, give us the chocolate cake.” Any time we have cake, or pie, for breakfast here we sing that song. I will be making this cake for us this weekend. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jane  |  March 13th, 2008 at 2:26 am

• I use to want poppyseed coffee cake for every birthday, and made it myself a couple years. But I chowed down plenty of chocolate and Pixie Stix, so I wasn’t too healthy.

Great recipe! I’m so lazy, I mix the frosting in the food processor too.

Brigitte  |  March 13th, 2008 at 9:30 am

• I just made a carrot cake for my husband’s birthday (today!). My recipe is very similar, except that mine calls for cooked carrots that are then mashed. I also have started substituting applesauce for half of the oil. My husband absolutely loves this cake. Unfortunately the rest of us can’t eat it because we’re all allergic to walnuts…

Bobbie  |  March 13th, 2008 at 4:40 pm

• In our family, carrot cake is THE birthday cake. Also doubles as the Father’s Day dessert.
    Our recipe (from hubby’s grandma) is super similar, except for the carrots. Instead of shredded carrots, this recipe uses……wait for it…..baby carrots (stage 3). Yep, sounds gross. But is super yummy and very moist. We bake ours in a bundt pan and cover it with powdered sugar while it is cooling. We omit the raisins and nuts, but add a dash of nutmeg. Hmm, hungry now.

Christine  |  March 13th, 2008 at 11:01 pm

• I am so not a baker, but will have to try it! I do love to eat carrot cake though! And do vegetables count if they are in cake, I know my daughter will eat them this way.

mandi  |  March 14th, 2008 at 1:52 am

• I too am not one that likes sweets/candy very much… in fact, I have a huge bag of hershey’s kisses that has been sitting on my desk untouched since DECEMBER!

Funny thing is, I’m a huge fan of carrot cake - I love it… that and cheesecake I could eat any day… but other stuff like chocolate not so much.

This looks good :) I’ll have to try the recipe…

Ashley  |  March 14th, 2008 at 8:49 am

• Heh I do cake - carrot or no for breakfast here all the time - the same thing for pie - all that fruit in pie makes it healthy right??????? And chocolate is a vegetable. It comes from beans - that started out green so it (and coffee) are all part of my five a day plan.

Mary  |  March 14th, 2008 at 7:20 pm

• I make the one with crushed pineapple (and I add a cup of raisins too, and use half whole-wheat flour and half soft brown sugar, rather than all white, but otherwise the same). However I never frost it. We’re not too keen on over-sweet things, and like it just as cake without any topping. Or perhaps with a good scoop of natural Greek yogurt on top.

Sue  |  March 29th, 2008 at 12:07 pm

• This is my favorite cake ever, I just cut half on the Cinnamon…

Disney Bedding  |  August 20th, 2009 at 2:21 am