Hummus: Quick and Easy

Categories: Cooking, Food

It’s no secret that I consider hummus to be one of the major food groups. I make it weekly.

hummus2

What’s not to love about it? High in protein. Excellent on chips or veggies. Easy to make. It’s like the perfect food. I could live in it. Oh wait, I already do.

I was talking to Mir the other day and she mentioned that she wanted to make some hummus too, but she didn’t have tahini. Where in the grocery store was the tahini hiding? I guessed the ethnic foods section, but really couldn’t recall where it was located.

Then yesterday afternoon I was in a grocery store I rarely go to, because it is small and over priced and everything seems slightly dusty, and there was tahini, mixed right in with the peanut butter and jellies. Because Lord knows that it is a sandwich spread of choice for children. “Nah, I don’t want a Fluff sandwich today, Mom. Make me a tahini one. And toss on something green and sprouty too while you are at it.”

Of course I had to grab my phone and call her where I found it, even if my random small grocery store 1000 miles away from her. That’s what friends are for, right? Celine Dion would agree.

Turns out that at her grocery store the tahini was located with the natural foods. As opposed to the unnatural ones, I am guessing.

Unless you want to examine every aisle in your store, you might just want to do that crazy thing and ask someone who works there where it is located.

You will need:

15oz can of chickpeas
1/4 cup tahini
1 fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup water
3T extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
3 garlic cloves ROASTED

What? Roasted? But Chris, what does that mean? And why do I want to do that?

Roasting the garlic brings out a much more mellow flavor. It is so good that you will want to suck the roasted garlic right out of its skin. Eating garlic is supposed to be good for your immune system and prevent illness. Probably because no one will want to come close enough to you for you to catch their germs. But that’s okay with me.

Also, garlic wards off vampires.

You will want to take your head of garlic and break it in half or so, depending on how much you want to roast. I had a head of garlic that I have been whittling away.

Chop the end off of it.

DSC_0003

Put it on some tinfoil that is large enough to wrap around the head. Pour a little olive oil on top.

DSC_0005

Wrap it up and place it inside a muffin tin to keep it upright.

DSC_0006

Aww, doesn’t it look so lonely.

DSC_0008

Roast it in the oven for 30 minutes at 325.

DSC_0016

Take it out and let cool before you try to pull it out.

Let’s get started with the other ingredients.

DSC_0010

Tahini will need to be stirred since the oil in it will rise to the top and the bottom will be thick. Stir it well.

DSC_0011

This about how much sea salt I used. The kids all wanted to taste it while I was photographing my hand. They thought it was sugar. I let them taste it. I know. I am mean.
DSC_0012

Rinse and drain your can of chickpeas and dump it into your food processor. Squeeze the lemon in, take care to watch if any seeds fall in.

DSC_0014

Add the rest of the ingredients and whirrrrrr. Don’t forget to add the cloves of garlic. If it seems slightly too thick add water a tablespoon at a time.

DSC_0028

My 7 yr old, a budding food blogger, photographing the hummus.

hummus

You can put it inside of a pepper for a nice decorative touch. Or just eat it right out of the food processor cup. Not that I would ever do that.

Serve with fresh veggies, crackers or chips. Send it off in the lunchbox. Or keep it all at home for yourself.

• It’s like you read my mind, I just made this last weekend. I like to put the olive oil in a pan and cook the garlic in the oil too. But there is nothing subtle about the flavor of that!

jen  |  March 20th, 2008 at 10:34 pm

• I also love hummus. Summer 2007 I did it everyweek too, from June til October (yeah, summers are long over here…), and sometimes day in day out. We ate it on the beach for lunch with pita bread, grissini or just plain bread.
    I usually put a leaf or two of coriander (fresh =cilantro?)

Marta from Lisbon

marta  |  March 20th, 2008 at 10:59 pm

• Yum, yum, gimme some. I’ve never seen tahini in a can before, mine comes in a tall jar — very hard to stir. I will be trying the roasted garlic next time I make hummus.

Jane  |  March 21st, 2008 at 1:21 am

• My favorite flavor is sun-dried tomato and basil… sometimes I splurge and get the tomatoes that are packed in oil and drizzle in a bit of that oil, too. UN-believably good!

Damsel  |  March 21st, 2008 at 2:25 am

• I just recently did the search for tahini. Couldn’t find it at first. It was by the kalamata olives. I know you weren’t a fan of Trader Joe’s but I love their hummus - theirs is the only one that comes close to homemade.

Maggie  |  March 21st, 2008 at 2:55 am

• hmmm never tried hummus, I must be missing out. I got a new food processor for Christmas this will put it to good use.

mandi  |  March 21st, 2008 at 2:58 am

• If you still have a roasted red pepper left after making your presto pesto pasta, try tossing one in with the hummus. you won’t regret it.

Anat  |  March 21st, 2008 at 8:35 am

• I just made it last wek too, though I’ve never tried roasting the garlic, I’m definitely doing that next time.

Stores like to hide tahini in so many different places, but I tried taking the easy way out and asking an employee once . . he didn’t even know what it was. Shameful.

Brigitte  |  March 21st, 2008 at 10:46 am

• Trader Joe’s hummus! One of the nicest things I discovered during a visit to the U.S. a few years ago. Their roasted garlic hummus, to be exact. Who needs stinkin’ crackers or veg? I ate that stuff with a spoon! (Or my finger, if a spoon wasn’t immediately available.) I’d give my eye teeth to be able to duplicate that stuff since I don’t see family being able to ship it to me over here…. I must give Chris’ recipe here a try, but I think I’ll double the roasted garlic amount. At least.

t in hd  |  March 21st, 2008 at 11:03 am

• Bob’s Red Mill makes a garbanzo bean flour that is great for hummus. I can never get my homemade hummus chunk-free if I use the beans, regardless of whether I skin them/cook them/food process them for days. Once, and only once, I even tried a mortar and pestle. My grocery store just added a big section of BRM products (organic mixes, flours, glutein-free stuff) and I’m in heaven.

Susan  |  March 21st, 2008 at 12:16 pm

• I’ve made hummus a few times and love it home-made! It is one of those things that is expensive in the store, and I think, I could make that at home for way less money. Ok, so I don’t know what tahini costs because I haven’t used that before. I just use a little olive oil, and it comes out pretty good! Maybe one of these days I will actually put the tahini in.

sdbab  |  March 21st, 2008 at 12:29 pm

• That looks delicious. I want to make some to eat with pita chips.
    That was funny about you letting your kids taste the “sugar.” When I was little and we made homemade ice cream me and my sister used to suck on pieces of rock salt while the ice cream was making. Weird, huh?

peepnroosmom  |  March 21st, 2008 at 1:48 pm

• Chris! It’s like I sent a message straight to you via esp! Just Monday I was searching your web looking for your hummus recipe. And presto, today I stop by and there it is front and center! Thanks for the post.

missy  |  March 21st, 2008 at 3:57 pm

• Chris, my kids used to request tahini and honey sandwiches….total nerds! If I make it tonight I will run out of crackers, chips pretzels and veggies - anything dippable

trina  |  March 21st, 2008 at 4:05 pm

• Guess who likes tahini straight? My lunatic child, of course. One of his favorite things ever is plain yogurt with tahini and flax seeds mixed in. Maybe he takes after his father, because Josh tried it and thought it was pretty good.

Ok, I may have to try the recipe. It doesn’t look toooo complicated.

halloweenlover  |  March 21st, 2008 at 5:05 pm

• I have made a similar recipe and it was yummy! A tip, though - the garlic roasts wonderfully in the toaster oven, so you can save some energy and not heat up the whole house.

LT  |  March 21st, 2008 at 6:10 pm

• mmmm roasted garlic is yummy on little toasted bread toooooo i am excited just to know how to do that!

and of course, for the hummus recipee, i may actually try this one!!

Kate  |  March 21st, 2008 at 7:43 pm

• I’m 35 and I’ve never heard of tahini. What is it?

Chris says: Tahini

Susy  |  March 21st, 2008 at 10:30 pm

• I love Trader Joe’s hummus also. I’ve never tried to make it, but I’ve made several of your recipes with much success, so I’ll give this a shot.

Oh, and I love love love roasted garlic smeared on a fresh baguette…oh yummmmm.

beck  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 1:57 am

• Tahini is ground-up sesame seeds. So, I suppose if you really wanted to you could make your own much like making your own peanut butter. But, I don’t know many people who do that. I’ve tried roasted garlic and roasted red pepper variations before. Any other variation ideas out there?

Elizabeth  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 2:40 am

• My husband is half-Lebanese and when his family makes hummus they sprinkle roasted pine nuts on top and it makes it that much lovelier….. they don’t roast the garlic but I imagine that roasting the garlic also means your breathe won’t be quite so stinky?

And I am painfully embarrassed to admit that I am certain it was Dionne Warwick that originally sang “That’s What Friends Are For” together with Stevie Wonder and a few other singing friends and not Celine Dion. Perhaps Celine Dion remade it; that I am not certain about Celine Dion’s repertoire provides me some measure of relief from my embarrassment.

Chris says: I think you are right! Dionne Warwick… didn’t she do the psychic network thing too later on? or was that someone else? My mind is a sieve I tell you.

Ms.carson  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 3:23 am

• I sent hubby to the store last week with tahini on the list (side note: I’m obsessed with hummus and can’t. get. enough.).

He came home with Israeli Tehina. I opened it, and let’s just say it’s not the same thing.

To Think Is To Create  |  March 22nd, 2008 at 9:17 am

• I haven’t made hummus in a long time! Thanks for the reminder, and the roasted garlic variant! I think I’m going to whip some up tomorrow. I’ve always skipped the tahini because i couldn’t find it. Thanks also for the locator tips!

spacegeek  |  March 23rd, 2008 at 7:11 am

• Tahini is easy to find where I live. I just get it at any of our Turkish shops.

It looks easy enough to make, for people who can’t find it. You just lightly toast sesame seeds in the over for about 10 to 15 minutes, but don’t allow them to turn brown, then toss them in the food processor with some olive oil and blend. Add more oil if the consistency is too thick. If you’re careful (not to allow them to brown), you can toast them on the stove top instead of in the oven.

My hummus came out a bit….flat. I ended up doubling the lemon juice and roasted garlic and added more salt. It all helped but….still something missing.

t in hd  |  March 23rd, 2008 at 12:37 pm

• Mmmmm. Try a splash of basalmic vinegar in there too!

Jen  |  March 23rd, 2008 at 8:45 pm

• Have you ever tried it using the chick peas you have to soak? I usually can get them cheaper in bulk.

Chris says: No, I haven’t.

mar  |  March 24th, 2008 at 2:32 am

• Okay, so I know that you just got your food processor…and I don’t have a food processor…so how did you make hummus before the food processor? Because I’m not planning to buy a food processor anytime soon. Although if all else fails I think my mom has one she’d let me borrow since it’s probably just hanging out in a cabinet somewhere.

Chris says: I didn’t make it. I had to buy it all the time to get my fix. I figure it has almost paid for itself in hummus buying savings :-)

Jenni  |  March 24th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

• Our tahini was in the organic section of the store. I made this today with extra garlic and we’ve been munching it with sweet bell peppers, broccoli and cauliflower. YUM!

Karen Rani  |  March 24th, 2008 at 8:01 pm

• Oh - when you were talking about Celine Dion, I thought you meant, “Near, far, wherever you are.”

i love that you show an open can of tahini. What cookbook does that kind of stuff - NO cookbook - that’s right! Only Chris.
    And, see? Now it is not so scary and I might actually buy that stuff!

Queen Bee  |  March 25th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

• Jenni, I don’t have a food processor either and have no intention of buying one. I made ours in the blender and the consistency turned out perfectly. The flavour was a bit flat when we ate it freshly made, but what we put in the fridge was much better the second day and even better the third (I doubled the above recipe). However, that has nothing to do with mixing it in the blender! ;-)

Chris says: Yes it does taste better after the flavors have mixed together in the fridge awhile.

t in hd  |  March 26th, 2008 at 8:22 am

• I’m trying this for dinner tonight, along with Rachel Ray’s Chicken Shawarma recipe. So excited!

Colleen  |  March 27th, 2008 at 5:13 pm

• Tried this today and it. is. amazing! 7 out of 9 of us liked this! Even my pickiest of eaters thought that is was delicious! The kids are already asking me to make this again.

Pastormac's Ann  |  March 28th, 2008 at 6:32 am

• [...] other news, last night I made hummus and chicken shawarma for dinner. Jim got hooked on middle eastern food while he was living over [...]

The Harkers » We’re off!  |  March 28th, 2008 at 10:23 pm

• I am making your recipe tonight…I have other recipes, but they seem to have too much oil, yours looks lighter.

meredith  |  March 29th, 2008 at 1:13 pm

• [...] sliced apples with a dollop of peanut butter or almond butter, veggies and hummus (Chris’ recipe is our new fave), a glass of chocolate milk (my trainer said this is especially good after a run), [...]

Noshing On Nutrition: The Fine Art of Healthy Snacks - Catch Your Breath - Work It, Mom!  |  March 31st, 2008 at 12:29 pm

• Yum. I’ll have to dig out some tahini.

BTW: still have melissa’s info in the header.

kelli  |  April 14th, 2008 at 8:39 pm

• [...] in Bacon 36 comments Roasted Lemon Chicken with Green Beans and Potatoes 36 comments Hummus: Quick and Easy 36 comments Corn Chowder in the Crockpot 35 comments Browse Blog [...]

Quick and Easy: Spicy Peanut Butter Chicken - Ordering Disorder - Work It, Mom!  |  April 15th, 2008 at 5:45 pm

• Excellent idea to serve hummus in the bell pepper! I make hummus regularly, recently I have started adding chopped mint or cilantro in it too.

shireen  |  May 14th, 2008 at 6:35 pm

• I saw on sprout the other day that you can add a splash of beet juice from a can of beets to make it look purple …I know, totally unnecessary but for those kids who think green ketchup rocks!!

Beaniemommie  |  August 28th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

• [...] hummus recipe we used came from this website.  I love her recipes because they are very practical (and [...]

From Scratch - Falafel « Trim and Fashionable  |  September 20th, 2008 at 4:21 am