Chicken and Rice with Black Bean Salsa

Categories: Cooking, Food, Lunches

DSC_0038

I have posted this recipe in a different incarnation by cooking it all in the crockpot. Even though the ingredients are essentially the same, the result is a completely different meal. The chicken cooked in a crockpot can be shredded and used in tortilla shells or eaten with chips. The chicken in this recipe stays whole.  In grilling weather you can also put these ingredients in tin foil packets and cook it on the grill.

You will need:

Chicken: breast or legs, bone in or out
Salsa or picante sauce
2 cans of Black beans
Shredded cheese

First, pour your salsa or picante sauce into the bottom of your baking dish. How ever much you need. I wanted there to be extra so I could mix it in with the brown rice I was also cooking and have a spicy mexican rice to go along with the chicken.

DSC_0024

Then I fillet the chicken breast, like I always do, to cut down on the cook time and the chances of the breasts getting dried out on the outside, yet still being raw on the inside.

DSC_0025

Lay them on top of the salsa.

DSC_0026

Put it in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes.

DSC_0031

After 25 minutes, remove from the oven and pour your black beans in the baking dish. Pop it back in the oven for 10 minutes.

Don’t you love my pot holders?  One of my children went through a phase where he could not make enough of these.  He made them constantly .  And being ever so helpful he threw away all the other pot holders and mitts that we owned.

DSC_0035

Take it out again and sprinkle the top with shredded cheese. Pop it back in the oven for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. You can see my side of the dish over there on the left with no cheese. It is delicious without it.

DSC_0040

Serve it over brown rice.

• looks yummy. i may have to attempt to get Ruben and Red to try black beans again.

Jenni  |  March 27th, 2008 at 9:16 pm

• Looks delicious and sounds simple!

mandi  |  March 27th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

• I make a very similar chicken dish, with two slight variations:

I add frozen corn along with the black beans, and I usually serve it with cornbread muffins instead of over rice.

Elizabeth  |  March 31st, 2008 at 4:01 pm

• i wishi had seen this! i attempted a black bean dish the other night adn basically turned into ‘build your own barrito’ after all the ‘i dont want this, or that, or what is that?” comments ;) i will try this and see if i can get black beans to be seen as more than just a filler for a barrito!

Kate  |  March 31st, 2008 at 8:26 pm

• I tried this tonite and it went over well with teh majority of the troops and the hubby loved it. I made two batches, one super hot salsa and one milld.

MJ  |  April 1st, 2008 at 12:33 am

• also - i think i also went through the potholder making stage when i was little… luckily i was not so prolific as to require the removal of all others!
    maybe you could do a review of like silicone vs. cloth ones and get some freebies to try!!

Kate  |  April 1st, 2008 at 2:14 pm

• I tried this tonight, as I had all the ingredients and have not made it to the grocery after Spring Break in FLA. I added a can of mexi corn in stead of 2 cans of beans. YUM! And the boys all liked it! Always a plus.

Amy  |  April 1st, 2008 at 5:59 pm

• Yum!! I made this last night and everyone liked it! Quick and easy too. Thanks!!

EZibbets  |  April 2nd, 2008 at 5:15 pm

• I’ve got this in the oven even as I type.

Tammy and Parker  |  April 2nd, 2008 at 10:53 pm

• this was awesome. my husband even ate the beans. I’ve made it twice in the past week and the leftovers were just as good. I can’t get enough of it. How did something so simple elude me for so long?? I am going to try a variation inside a burrito. Thanks!

jen  |  April 5th, 2008 at 6:55 pm

• We LOVED this. I really enjoyed the leftovers wrapped up in a flour tortilla, then I’d put it in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes on 350, so it was warm and crispy… YUM!!!

Tina  |  April 23rd, 2008 at 3:27 pm

• [...] This Chicken and Rice with Black Bean Salsa was wonderful the first time around and even better as leftovers in a burrito.  I love that it only calls for 4 ingredients! [...]

4 Miles » Blog Archive » Frugal Friday Cooking  |  April 25th, 2008 at 4:51 pm

• I come back to this recipe (and the others on Ordering Disorder) time and time again because they are so delicious, quick AND allergen free. Your recipes have been a sanity saver in our household, thank you so much!!

Even the kid who has no allergies benefits, she gets to enjoy those delicious turnovers :)

Megumi  |  May 19th, 2008 at 4:05 pm

• Despite the fact that the word “rice” is totally verboten in my all-boy house (I seriously never make it, because everyone acts like it’s offensive) I made this recipe tonight (it was one of those baseball-nights-and-Mom-has-lawschool-nights) and when I got home a little while ago my totally picky eight year old was like, “Dude, that was SO GOOD.”

Just had to share. :)

(And I was like…Dude, that took me like thirty seconds to make! Awesome.)

Regina  |  May 29th, 2008 at 4:36 am