Cream Cheese and Jelly Turnovers

Categories: Cooking, Food

DSC_0143

Aren’t these so yummy looking?

I call these cream cheese and jelly turnovers for the lazy among us who are feeling wracked with guilt and trying to buy their children’s love via their stomachs. But that seems a little long for the name of the recipe so I will just call them cream cheese and jelly turnovers for short.

This is actually the first time that I am away from my kids for something that is solely work related, with no fun factor built in. No catching up with friends. No drunk karaoke. No sightseeing. No subtext of I deserve a break from my children.

I was also just away last week and when I returned home Sunday evening my daughter gave me a drawing she made. It was of her crying because I was away. It would have been less painful had she reached into my chest and torn my heart out.

So when my kids requested this yesterday morning as I was tossing random crap into my suitcase packing, I couldn’t refuse.

This recipe is fun for kids to do themselves. It uses premade pie crust (I know. But let’s just all get over it.) You certainly can make your own pie crust if you are so inclined, but then it becomes a much more involved recipe that might not be accessible to the 6, 7, 8 year old set. It also would take much longer. The entire recipe from taking the ingredients out of the refrigerator to putting it on a plate to eat is under 30 minutes.

It is a nice addition to brunch or even just as an afternoon snack.

DSC_0025

You need:
2 refrigerated premade pie crusts
1/2 block cream cheese, softened
1 egg, separated
2T sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
1/8 tsp salt
8T jam, I used strawberry

DSC_0028

Open and unroll your pie crust.

DSC_0030

Cut it into quarters.

DSC_0031

Fold each quarter in half length-wise so that you will be able to find the midline.

DSC_0033

Cute four horizontal slits on one side of the fold, make sure you leave 1/4 inch all around the slits. You don’t want your turnover fillings spilling out everywhere.

DSC_0035

Separate the egg.

DSC_0040

Put the yolk into a bowl.

DSC_0043

Add the cream cheese.

DSC_0046

Add the sugar and salt.

DSC_0052

Mix it all up together until it is smooth. My 12 yr old said it looked like scrambled eggs. My 3 yr old said it looked like squished up Sponge Bob Square Pants. I tell you that just for your own reference.

DSC_0060

Take one tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture and place it on the uncut side of the dough triangle. Spread it around, leaving the 1/2 inch edge.

DSC_0073

Next, spread a tablespoon of jam on top of the cream cheese.

DSC_0076

Using your pastry brush, or finger, paint the edges of the turnover.

DSC_0119

Fold the cut side over the filled side and crimp the edge with a fork.

DSC_0138

Brush egg white over the entire surface of the turnover. This helps it turn a nice golden color and also becomes an adhesive for the sugar to stick.

DSC_0141

Sprinkle sugar evenly on top.

DSC_0146

Bake in the oven set to 450 for 12-14 minutes, or until the filling begins to bubble and the turnover is a golden brown.

DSC_0155

Filling will be hot, so serve to children carefully.

Enjoy.

• these look yummy! I can’t wait to make them. I made your oatmeal granola over the weekend and your vodka pasta yesterday and both were a hit! :)

Lisa  |  April 10th, 2008 at 4:27 pm

• OMG these look sooo good. Shopping list to husband:)

Nataly  |  April 10th, 2008 at 5:43 pm

• I will definitely make these next special occasion weekend! Maybe they can become our new Birthday Morning Tradition. I think we could stick a candle in one of those, don’t you?

cristen  |  April 10th, 2008 at 5:49 pm

• Your premade pastry is already cut into circles for you?!! My goodness, you guys are spoilt ;) Half my fun is rolling out the pastry and then trying to scrape it off the kitchen table again…. ;)

These look good, I must try them. I often make turnovers with leftover pastry from pies, but I hadn’t got as far as the cream cheese filling in there too!

Jen  |  April 10th, 2008 at 6:08 pm

• Mmm. Looks delicious. They remind me of similar little pastries my mother would make for us when we were kids. They didn’t have the cheese, just jam. We definitely loved her more each time she made them! You’ll be happy to know that she, too, used store-bought pastry sheets. :) Kids don’t care about that stuff.

Diane  |  April 11th, 2008 at 1:18 am

• These look really great, but could I make a tiny request. Could you add the actual weight of cream cheese. We get philly here in the UK but it only comes in tubs, and not blocks, so knowing exactly how much would be useful.

Chris says: It was half of an 8oz block. So 4 oz.

Katie  |  April 11th, 2008 at 5:47 am

• These look excellent! I cannot wait to try it! Thanks for posting it.

Pam  |  April 11th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

• Yummm… I could so totally see some peanut butter being incorporated in there somewhere. I might try these this very weekend!

Ann from St. Peter MN  |  April 11th, 2008 at 5:10 pm

• Ooh, those look so yummy. I bet my super picky toddler would even eat a few bites. We donĀ“t have pre-made pie crust here, though, so it would be a more complicated process . . . but you can probably freeze these, right? So you could do a big batch and just bake as needed.

Genesis  |  April 11th, 2008 at 7:00 pm

• I immediately want to try this without the semi-redeeming ingredients. Cream cheese? Has calcium - toss it. Jam? From fruit! Practically health food. So… what would happen if you filled it with Nutella?

Chris says: I think filling it with Nutella would be like dying and going to heaven. You should do it and come back and report.

Megan  |  April 11th, 2008 at 8:37 pm

• How do you think these would hold up if made the night before, and then baked in the morning?

Kris  |  April 11th, 2008 at 10:26 pm

• When I was little girl, my angel of a mother would make this recipe - but instead of pie crust, she used Pillsbury crescent roll dough. If I remember correctly, you need to roll each of the sections of dough to make it large enough to have room for filling but the extra effort is worth it as they are truly heavenly.

Nicole  |  April 12th, 2008 at 1:05 pm

• Mmmm, those look delicious … printing now…

Cate O'Malley  |  April 13th, 2008 at 2:45 am

• I told my Children the internet said we HAD to try making these with Nutella and they, being terribly selfless, agreed to be assistant bakers and taste-testers. First, Super Target totally let me down and didn’t have any pie crust so we used puff-pastry instead. Then we also decided to try a couple of variations as well.

We cut the pastry into small squares (kitchen scissors - the tool of the lazy!) and put a small spoonful of Nutella on one square (note: go easy on the Nutella, it’s VERY rich and it doesn’t take very much), ran a wet finger around the edge and then topped with another square. We squeezed the edges together and then marked them with a fork - seemed to work; we didn’t have any leakage. We made a couple with peanut butter added in and several with a small spoonful of caramel sauce (perhaps caramel candy would work as well and be a little less messy? Not sure, but this tasted just fine!). I didn’t vent the top since the Nutella really doesn’t have anything to steam. We baked for 10 minutes until all puffed and golden brown.

Verdict? The peanut butter ones were the least favorite. If we did it again I might mix in some powdered sugar as you do when making home-made Reeses cups. The plain Nutella ones were very good, but the hands down favorite were those with caramel. We made our squares about two-bite sized which was just about right for a really rich desert.

Chris says: Wow, Megan I am impressed at the sacrifices you made for the internet ;-) Also, mmmmmmmmm.

Megan  |  April 13th, 2008 at 10:13 pm

• ooh so i actually made these this weekend (i know! my husband was all confused) and they received the highest compliement:

me: well? what do you think?
    Hubby: ooh! it’s like a pop-tart! that you made yourself! that is so cool!

he went on to eat 4 of them. i would say they were a huge success! THANK YOU!

Kate  |  April 14th, 2008 at 1:47 pm

• Maybe cream cheese AND nutella (is it any wonder I have weight issues?). :-)

Brigitte  |  April 15th, 2008 at 9:39 am

• These were totally yummy, and I think we could move up to delicious if I made the piecrust from scratch (now that I have a pastry mat, I am no longer afraid of pie crusts and cutout cookies). They were good warm, and still tasty cooled. I made them in batches of 4 and the first batch just had a little sugar sprinkled on them. My 4YO assisted me with the second batch and there was significantly more sugar sprinkled (dumped) on these, and surprisingly, I think they were better that way. Definitely a winner!

Kim  |  April 15th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

• Yes, please, I love you. But will it rival my Grandma’s Cherry Dessert? What,…no cool whip?

jesskick  |  April 16th, 2008 at 6:41 am

• Made these this morning and they taste lovely. Even my picky son enjoyed them!! I’m cooking-impaired (a nice way of saying we had to fend for ourselves when I was a kid!) and so finding simple recipes really appeals to me. I’m a better cook now than I was 10 yrs ago (thankfully) but will add a note to others like me: make sure the pie crusts are at room temp or you may end up with dough in pieces :P Just speaking from experience! Having never used pre-made pie crusts, I didn’t know that little piece of advice. My first batch looked like a patchwork quilt! Very good but rather funny looking. Heh.

Nikki  |  April 19th, 2008 at 3:22 pm

• I made these today - mine didn’t look as pretty.

I’m allergic to eggs but LOVe cream cheese so I omited the yolk and added a little water and vanilla with the cheese.

These were so so so so so good though! I might make them and let the kids try them too heh.

Mary  |  April 24th, 2008 at 3:33 pm

• [...] that is the new name of this recipe. I am SO excited to try this . . . . with a few of my own [...]

eRamblings » Blog Archive » OMG! TURNOVER RECIPE  |  April 25th, 2008 at 1:38 am

• [...] Cheese and Jelly Turnovers Found these at Work It Mom and surprised the kids with them this morning. I thought they were good, but had a little too much [...]

Cream Cheese and Jelly Turnovers « Whatcha Got Cookin’  |  June 24th, 2008 at 8:04 pm