In the Crockpot: Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Categories: Cooking, Crockpot, Food

Now that Spring is here it means one thing in my family– baseball, baseball, and more baseball. Which in turn means I have less time to prepare dinner, often we arrive home at 8:30 at night and still have not eaten. I hate resorting to fast food, but sometimes I feel like I have no choice.

I have discovered that with a little advanced preparation I can have food ready that is quick to eat and to clean-up. At 9:00 at night who feels like eating a 3 course meal and then cleaning up after it? Not me.

DSC_0043

I am going to guess and say that this roast was about 7 - 8 lbs. I used a Boston Butt. (Can you say that without giggling? Because I can’t. I think I am secretly a 12 year old boy.) You could also use a Picnic Shoulder or any other type of pork roast that your local grocery store or butcher sell.

DSC_0044

You will pour about 1/2 cup of water onto the roast. Grind a little sea salt and black pepper on top. Put the lid on your crockpot. Turn it to low. And leave it and go on about your merry way– having your man servant fan you, eating bon-bons, watching your shows– you know whatever it is that you do. For 10 - 12 HOURS.

Yes, you need to start this early in the morning. Or better yet, toss the roast and water into the crock the night before. Put the crock in the refrigerator and pull it out in the morning while you are still all bleary eyed and searching for your coffee. You really can’t cook it too long.

Now for the barbeque sauce. Yes, I suppose you could buy some already made in a jar. But you know how I feel about processed foods. It is so simple (and inexpensive!) to make it yourself, why not just do it? Most of the ingredients I bet you already have in your kitchen cabinets.

DSC_0050

1 12 oz can tomato paste
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp dry mustard
2T sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)

As soon I was would lift my camera to snap a photo my 3 yr old son would reach across and grab one of the bottles.

DSC_0048

Pour the ingredients into a mixing bowl. In whatever order suits your fancy. Don’t you find it odd when recipes tell you that you have to add the ingredients in the order listed? I do. It makes me want to rebel and put them in backward, because I am all crazy like that.

DSC_0053

Stir it up. Then set it aside and let the flavors all mix together. I did this after breakfast and then covered it up and set it aside on the counter for the rest of the day.

DSC_0093

After ten hours or so the pork roast will be done.

DSC_0094

Then shred the pork with a couple of forks until it is all stringy. Pour your barbeque sauce on top and mix well.

Serve on some whole grain buns with a side of carrot sticks and you have an easy delicious meal that can even be served on paper plates for those really rushed nights.

pulled-pork

My kids give this recipe two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

Updated to add this important info:

This recipe serves a lot of people.   Nine of us ate it, three of whom ate like pigs, not that I will name names ::cough:: teenagers…  husbands::cough::  And there was enough leftover for my husband to take a hefty portion to work and for all of us to eat some for lunch.  So either half the recipe, or better yet invite some friends over this weekend after your kid’s t-ball game, or church, and have a pot luck.  I’d also make the Crack Dip and Hummus and set out a few bowls of chips and a veggie platter.

Now you know what I will serve you should you ever come over my house.

• Yummy!!!
    I have done this with an inexpensive beef roast as well, and it is delicious too!!!
    We are SO having the pork for supper this weekend.

Cheryl  |  April 17th, 2008 at 1:47 pm

• My wife knows this all too well - I LOVE pulled pork; platters, sandwiches, however you want to serve it up! Chris, when can I come over?

Chris says: C’mon down. :-) I will not make any pumpkin bread.

Avi Spivack  |  April 17th, 2008 at 3:31 pm

• I LOVE making pulled pork in my crockpot! But, after a few rounds with different recipes, I concocted my own: I put the roast in the crock and add about a cup of root beer, 1/4-1/3 cup of brown sugar, crushed red pepper (i’ve put more and more each time and it’s still never spicy–and I don’t like spicy, so you can be liberal), about 1 tbsp. a little salt and pepper and it cooks all day while I’m at work, gym, what have you. Cooking like this all day gives the meat a hint of sweet, but the pork is by no means overwhelmed by the flavors! When I serve the sandwiches, we put the BBQ sauce on our buns and leave the pork plain. That way, the leftovers the next night can be carnitas tacos or something completely different (without having to limit yourself to the BBQ sauce)! Just a hint :)

Chris, I love your blogs–I don’t have kids yet, but you are hilarious, and so are your kids! Thanks :)

Maggie  |  April 17th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

• We do pulled pork this way, too, but we put Worchestershire instead of the water and we smush (techincal term!) some brown sugar on top of the roast before cooking. I will also add for your lovely readers, Chris, that once shredded, this freezes and reheats nicely. We reheated some week before last and put it on baked potatoes. Mmmm…

Jamie AZ  |  April 17th, 2008 at 11:05 pm

• Oh, the Crack dip is to die for, just in case anyone is wondering. I made it one weekend we had company and finished it every day at lunch for the rest of the week! Mmmmmm! Totally addicting.

Mama Bear  |  April 18th, 2008 at 2:29 am

• Dang. I was searching for that very recipe earlier today. I settled for worcestershire sauce, garlic, and grated ginger instead. Ok, so I added a little of my beer too.

I’m bookmarking that…it sounds delicious for next time!

Christy  |  April 18th, 2008 at 3:34 am

• Uh, don’t you mean ‘14 very enthusiastic thumbs’?

kelly  |  April 18th, 2008 at 4:28 am

• Oh yeah, and I was wondering why you had the dry mustard facing that way…didn’t seem like you at all. The look on Miles’ face should have clued me. That kid cracks me up!

kelly  |  April 18th, 2008 at 4:31 am

• Thanks for the recipes Chris!! I always love your posts. I will definitely be trying this one soon! I’ve been making the homemade granola bars for my hubby weekly since you posted that recipe. So thank you!!!

Elissa  |  April 18th, 2008 at 5:37 am

• Chris, have been lurking around for about 6 months now and can’t believe the first comment I’m going to make EVER in blogland is going to be so boring but can you tell me which make/model of crockpot you use? Many thanks! Promise in another 6 months when I get around to commenting again I will make it a bit more interesting! Must get over this shyness!!!

Linzi, Scotland  |  April 18th, 2008 at 7:40 am

• Hey, Chris, I thought pulled pork gave you the heaves!

Whenever I want to “print” one of your recipes, I just open a blank Word document and paste all the non-picture/commentary stuff there - and save it! (for those who’ve been looking for a printable Chris recipe) :-)

Brigitte  |  April 18th, 2008 at 9:07 am

• Oooh, I can’t wait!

Do you ever go near risotto? Sundried tomatoes?

jesskick  |  April 18th, 2008 at 2:07 pm

• OHH! We’re a baseball family too.

This is perfect.

MammaLoves  |  April 18th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

• BBQ sauce without ketchup in it? This must be some fain-cee Northern kind.

cristen  |  April 18th, 2008 at 9:49 pm

• I usually put ketchup in my BBQ sauce, too. But I live in Wisconsin, not exactly the BBQ capital of the world.
    I love my crockpot, too. In fact, my daughter got a small one for Christmas and uses it to cook in her college apt.

Daisy  |  April 19th, 2008 at 1:57 am

• We’ve become a base ball family ever since our daughter and son-in-law and three kids moved close by (two grandsons and one granddaughter). The last ten days there were seven games! Having raised two daughters I’ve never seen this much Little League since my brother played over . . . oh my gosh . . . SIXTY years ago! This will be a winner in our family, I’m sure!

CaliforniaGrammy  |  April 19th, 2008 at 4:14 am

• Chris:
    I made this for my family tonight and got rave reviews. I think my husband asked me to marry him all over again!

I have always wanted to try pulled pork but was intimidated. This recipe was easy and delicious. I even added the root beer to the cooking liquid that one commentor suggested.

2 Thumbs Way Up!

Darcie  |  April 20th, 2008 at 10:57 pm

• I made these tonight after seeing it last night and they were so good even my picker eaters enjoyed helping make it as well as eating it.

I forgot to have DH pick up the tomato paste so I used some tomato sauce it was still really good thanks so much for sharing.

Tamara Wilson  |  April 22nd, 2008 at 6:20 am

• [...] I got my pork recipe from Chris, here. [...]

It’s the Slaw « Shelly’s Journal  |  May 8th, 2008 at 1:51 am

• [...] since I read about cooking Pulled Pork Sandwiches in Ordering Disorder, I’ve been itching to make some using the Tiger Thermal Magic Cooker we got last [...]

Trying out Trader Joe products « JenJapan’s 20-30-40  |  May 21st, 2008 at 4:58 am