The Summer Barbeque Recipes: Potato Salad

Categories: Cooking, Entertaining, Food, Holiday Entertaining, side dishes, summer living

Summer entertaining is my favorite. Probably because it is easy to prepare most of the dishes before hand so that you can relax and enjoy your company. Also, because men always seem to want to work the grill so if you plan your food wisely the menfolk will do the actual cooking on the day of the party. Men always look better standing at the grill in 100 degree weather, holding their bottles of beer. I just look hot and sweaty and borderline alcoholic.

This week I thought I would share some recipes for those of you entertaining this weekend. Everything can be made in advance.

First up today, the ubiquitous potato salad. It is a summer barbeque staple. Honestly, I think it is written in the Constitution that you must serve this at any and all Fourth of July functions, or else be deported.

My husband is currently eating his second helping of it and said, “You have to give me this recipe!” I guess in case I meet an untimely death he wants to ensure that he can still eat this potato salad.

DSC_0087

Potato Salad
Small red potatoes, cooked and diced
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 cup minced onion
5 hard-boiled eggs (I left these out because I didn’t feel like making them)

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper

paprika

Step One:

Scrub your potatoes with your vegetable brush. Since we are going to keep the skin on you want to make sure that all the dirt is washed away.

DSC_0074

Step Two:

Boil your potatoes in well salted water. Drain when they are soft.

Step Three:

Here I refrigerate the potatoes and let them cool off. Usually until the next day. Warm potato salad just does not appeal to me at all. Gag.

DSC_0084

Step Four: Cut up the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Dice your onion and celery and toss it into the bowl too.

DSC_0085_edited-1

Step Five:

In a small bowl mix together all of the ingredients from the mayonnaise down.

Step Six:

Mix the dressing in with the potatoes, celery, onion, and eggs (if you used them)

Step Seven:

Sprinkle paprika on top before serving.

Step Eight:

Make sure that you immediately serve yourself before it is all gone.

• My man is phobic about ALL cooking, including grilling, so I’m stuck with that! I think he’d starve if I died. :-)

Brigitte  |  July 2nd, 2008 at 11:38 am

• This looks delicious! And not to be stupid, but how many red potatoes do you use?

Chris says: I am going to guess 18-ish? I boiled up the entire bag, but then kept some out to dice and fry homefry style.

Mia  |  July 2nd, 2008 at 12:31 pm

• Hey…if you haven’t ever tried warm potato salad…the German variety, don’t knock it. Course, whenever you add a lb of bacon to potato salad how can it be anything but yummy?

Carolyn  |  July 3rd, 2008 at 12:29 pm

• This sounds fabulous… I am allergic to celery (really, really, anaphylactic-shock allergic — I know, right?), so I will probably substitute something else crunchy — maybe water chestnuts. Thanks, as always!

Rebecca  |  July 4th, 2008 at 6:54 pm

• [...] poured rain all day, only clearing up in the late afternoon, so we stayed home and cooked. I made Chris’ potato salad, and this Flag cake, cupcakes, some BBQ ribs and baked beans. We stuffed ourselves, and then [...]

Can you hear it? : and baby makes 6!  |  July 5th, 2008 at 11:57 am

• This recipe looks great! I always boil my eggs in with the potatoes so I don’t have to mess with 2 pots at the same time. Lazy, perhaps, but it works. :)

Natalie  |  July 6th, 2008 at 2:42 pm

• I make a very similar recipe. I use green onions and add crispy BACON. Plus when I’m feeling I need to be a little over the top, I throw in a little of the drippings.

PollyS  |  July 12th, 2008 at 1:08 am

• THis is SO my mom’s potato salad recipe, no one else’s has ever touched it. Thank you, as she never wrote down her best recipes. Clippings galore fill her cookbook/notebook and other people’s recipes. She was not a great cook - but this, this was her speciality and you just brought it all home for me. LOL! Saw this before - but thought, “OH - it’s just potato salad” and then it was linked at Jody’s blog. So glad I came for a second look!

eko  |  August 6th, 2008 at 4:41 am