Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe

Categories: Cooking, Food, side dishes

When I find a food that I like I tend to eat it over and over again until I am so sick of it I don’t want to even look at it for another decade or so. Hummus recently joined this illustrious list, which includes foods like stuffed peppers, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, and Hot Tamales (the candy).

This is my newest obsession. The sweet potato. No longer is it relegated just to Thanksgiving.

DSC_0129

Sweet potatoes are much more nutritious than white potatoes. The sweet potato ranks number one in nutrition of ALL THE OTHER VEGETABLES. Does that surprise you? It did me. It contains almost twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, 42 percent of the recommendation for vitamin C, four times the RDA for beta carotene, and, when eaten with the skin, sweet potatoes have more fiber than oatmeal.

Surprisingly perhaps, my children all LOVE the sweet potato fries. Let’s keep the part about them being so nutritious to ourselves. M’kay?

DSC_0133

The first step is to slice the sweet potato up. I suppose if you have a french fry cutter you could make them into traditional sized fries. I just slice them into wedges.

DSC_0130

Put the wedges in a single layer onto your cookie sheet. (I seem to have lost my cookie sheet in our renovation so I used a metal baking pan.)

DSC_0135

Pour a tablespoon or so of oil into the pan.

DSC_0136

Swirl the oil in the pan one way.

DSC_0137

Swirl the oil in the pan the other way. So that all the wedges are lightly coated. Pour any excess oil off.

Bake in a 425 degree oven for 40 minutes

DSC_0140

I prefer to eat mine just plain, sprinkled with a little sea salt once they are doing baking.

But you can also make them into spicy fries.

Half way through baking pull out your baking sheet and sprinkle the wedges with taco seasoning. Serve with a side of sour cream.

We even like to eat these cold, so you can pack a wedge or two in the lunch box. That is if there are any leftover after dinner.

• I will TOTALLY be making these.

Chris says: YES, you should! They are SOOOO good. I have been snacking on the leftover ones all night.

Angella  |  September 25th, 2008 at 3:59 am

• My kid used to LOVE these, but she’s pretty much stopped eating anything but hotdogs and buttered bread. I still make them for ME though!

Brigitte  |  September 25th, 2008 at 9:09 am

• I moved this spring and just down the street is a mexican place, where I first discovered sweet potato fries. The price of over $3 a serving was too much though so I started making my own. Fried not baked, but they are SO SO SO delicious. I will have to give your way a shot. It has to beat standing over a frying pan cooking small batches at a time since I have no fryer. And maybe I will finally get to eat some instead of tossing them at the hungry wolverines that are my children before they bite my hand off.

Harmony  |  September 25th, 2008 at 12:17 pm

• We have been making sweet potato fries for over a year now. We all love them! I do it the way you do it, but I put kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper on them when I do the oil then bake. Also for another twist, we do oil, salt and cumin. Yum! I’ll be making some tonight.

Kari  |  September 25th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

• My stepmom would make these when I was a kid. She would sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar, kind of a dessert fry. They were so good! Only she deep fried them, so not so healthy. I’m definitely trying your way!

Kimberly  |  September 25th, 2008 at 1:19 pm

• I have also recently discovered the joys of roasted sweet potatoes! For years I thought that I didn’t like them. I am even more excited to make them again now that I know they’re the healthiest vegetable ever :-)

Bridget  |  September 25th, 2008 at 1:20 pm

• You had me at sour cream. I love sweet potato fries, and usually eat them with mustard (I’m a mustard FREAK). But I may be more nutty for sour cream. Oooh, with garlic in it. Wouldn’t that be good?

Heather  |  September 25th, 2008 at 1:43 pm

• Sweet potato fries are awesome! I’ve also recently discovered butternut squash fries — just as delicious!

LG  |  September 25th, 2008 at 1:46 pm

• mmmmmm now that i know they are the healthiest veggie i will DEFINITLY have to make them!
    my 2 yr old is a fan of anything called a ‘french fry’ what does he care if it’s a sweet potato? hahahaaa!
    so excited, totally making these!!
    btw, i love the recipees that seem so obvious and yet, i have never done them. thanks for sharing :)

Kate  |  September 25th, 2008 at 1:52 pm

• I love sweet potato fries. I like them a little spicy, with a little bit (and I mean a LITTLE bit) of cayenne. A spicy-sweet thing.

Hey, did you flip yours partway through baking?

EG  |  September 25th, 2008 at 2:23 pm

• Who knew they were SOOOO good for you? Thanks!

aimee  |  September 25th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

• now that can’t be enough to feed your family. How many potatos do you really slice up. I have 5 kids, and two of them are babies and we’d need a heck of a lot more than those. Or maybe, we’re just all pigs.

Chris says: Heck no, that was MY portion! I made one for myself for lunch.

chanelireli  |  September 25th, 2008 at 4:25 pm

• Oooh, those look wonderful. I think I’ll make those to go with our burgers tonight.

I wonder if you could grill these fries?

MamaGeph  |  September 25th, 2008 at 4:35 pm

• LOVE sweet potatoes!

I am single with no kids, so I can eat one for dinner. I bake or microwave it whole (like a baked potato), then put butter and seasoning on it.

Just the other night, I chopped one up (skin and all) and threw it in a baking dish with some chicken, rice, and peas.

I found some sweet potato fries in my grocery store’s freezer section….those are good too!

kelly  |  September 25th, 2008 at 4:51 pm

• edit: one sweet potato, not one kid!

kelly  |  September 25th, 2008 at 4:58 pm

• I didn’t even know you COULD eat the skin of a sweet potato!

Can’t wait to make these. Thanks!

Elizabeth  |  September 25th, 2008 at 5:29 pm

• I tried this last week and my “fries” came out really mushy and the kids wouldn’t touch them. Any thoughts on why or how to avoid the problem? Maybe it was my oven temp. I think it was only 400…guess I should try again.

Chris says: Maybe cook them longer?

Kate  |  September 25th, 2008 at 8:23 pm

• Try:
    Half way through, sprinkle with powdered red pepper,(more if you want hotter!) then springle with powdered sugar when served…….awesome

Found out about this when served with cut of buffalo in a very expensive restaurant. Easy to so at home when grilling.

susan thomason  |  September 25th, 2008 at 9:05 pm

• Try spreading a thin layer of tahini instead of sour cream- the raw paste straight from the jar, it’s delicious!

Anat  |  September 25th, 2008 at 9:13 pm

• I LOVE sweet potatoes, they are so good… when I was a kid I wouldn’t touch them, I think my taste buds are finally maturing, right along with my age. LOL! I’m trying the fries, I normally just do the baked. Thanks for the recipe!

k...  |  September 26th, 2008 at 5:22 am

• If the thought of cutting is too much for anyone, Alexia sweet potato fries in your frozen foods section is yummy.

Cary  |  September 26th, 2008 at 11:21 am

• Had to come back and tell you these are awesome! I made them last night and all of us loved them!
    Thank you!!

Elizabeth  |  September 26th, 2008 at 3:05 pm

• I do a lot of cooking, including with sweet potatoes, and even including making baked sweet potato fries much like this, but I have never heard or read of leaving the skin on. So, clearly….you can eat the skin? Is it good? I mean, I always eat the skin on regular potatoes, but have never had skin-on sweet potato fries.

Shannon  |  September 26th, 2008 at 5:45 pm

• Once I tried egg whites instead of oil, to combat the “mushy” consistency. It maybe helped a little, but not much.

(There’s a restaurant here that served them, probably fried, and ruined me; I always want them crunchier.)

Lee  |  September 26th, 2008 at 6:14 pm

• Love these!! Thanks for the reminder of how nutritious they are! I need to make some soon. We love them cooked just about every way!

hi-d  |  September 27th, 2008 at 10:55 pm

• Here’s a handy hint I picked up somewhere: instead of putting oil in the pan, try putting the wedges into a plastic bag, then put the oil in. Seal the bag and toss the wedges around in there - perfect coating and you use less oil this way.

MegsMum  |  September 29th, 2008 at 1:28 am

• i made these, and got requests for more!! YUM

kate  |  September 29th, 2008 at 1:48 am

• Tried these tonight and they were sooooooo good. I have an extra potato that I’m going to make for lunch tomorrow.

I didn’t have sea salt, but used Kosher salt which did the trick!

Thanks for another great recipe for the rotation.

Shelly  |  September 29th, 2008 at 11:51 pm

• I like using regular potatoes and olive oil spray to make healthy “potato chips.” I haven’t tried sweet potatoes yet but will definitely have to - thanks!

Tabitha @ http://www.fromsingletomarried.com

Tabitha  |  September 30th, 2008 at 2:17 am

• I have had the problem Kate describes where they go soft and mushy. In my experience cooking longer didn’t help. I am going to have another shot with the oven temperature hotter - maybe 450? - and maybe get the oil and pan really hot before adding the potatoes.

Chris says: I have not had this problem at all. Are you leaving the skins on and cutting them like wedges?

Diane  |  September 30th, 2008 at 3:38 pm

• Hm, 425* for 40 minutes and two trays of 4 potatoes cut into wedges are all burned to a crisp. :(

Were they supposed to be covered or something???

Chris says: Nope, I did not cover mine. I am beginning to think that oven temperature differences are coming into play here since some people are saying there are mushy and yours are burnt. I would say that the solution would be to cook them for less time.

ChristieNY  |  October 1st, 2008 at 7:13 pm

• Finally bought sweet potatoes today. Making fries tomorrow. Can’t Hardly. Wait.

angella  |  October 2nd, 2008 at 10:16 pm

• I looooooooove these. Hopefully my toddler will too. Getting him to eat veggies has become quite a chore!

NoreeninIL  |  November 16th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

• [...] Disorder: Baked sweet potato fries. Pure heaven in 20 minutes is how I would describe the result of making this recipe. And not [...]

What’s for dinner?: Quick Thanksgiving recipe links - Problem Solved - Work It, Mom!  |  November 24th, 2008 at 8:34 am