Enchilada Casserole

Categories: Cooking, Food, Meal Planning

This recipe got fourteen ENTHUSIASTIC thumbs up. I don’t know that you can get a rating much better than that.

It is also very, very easy.

You will need:

DSC_0416

2lbs ground beef
2 24 oz jars of picante sauce (I used mild)
1 or 2 cans green chilies
shredded Mexican blend cheese
tortillas (corn or flour)
sour cream (optional)

Step One:
DSC_0413

Brown the ground beef.

Step Two:

Add one jar of picante sauce and canned chilies. Allow to simmer for about five minutes.

DSC_0417

Step Three:

In your pyrex baking dish, pour a little of the picante sauce on the bottom of the dish. This helps to prevent the tortillas from sticking.

Then make a layer of tortillas.

DSC_0419

I ended up putting a quarter of a tortilla in the little empty spot on the bottom right hand corner.

Step Four:

DSC_0420

Make a layer of the ground beef mixture. Then layer the shredded cheese.

Think of it like making a lasagna. A Mexican lasagna.

Step Five:

Another layer of tortillas. Then ground beef mixture. Then shredded cheese.

Step Six:

Another layer of tortillas. Then ground beef mixture. Then shredded cheese.

Step Seven:

Another layer of tortillas. Only THIS time you are going to pour the rest of the picante sauce over the top.

DSC_0424

Step Eight:

Cover with tinfoil and place into the oven. Bake covered for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Step Nine:

Remove from oven. Uncover and top with more shredded cheese.

Place it back in the oven for a few minutes, until the cheese melts.

Step Ten:

Once out of the oven, allow it to cool for a few minutes before cutting. This will help it stay together better.

Step Eleven:

Enjoy.

DSC_0427

• I make this in a round casserole dish and it works out wonderfully because it matches the shape of the tortillas. I also sometimes make it with flour tortillas, one for each layer.

No matter which way I make this, YUM! It’s a favorite around here, that’s for sure!

Jennifer  |  March 28th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

• That looks great. Do you think it would work with enchilada sauce instead of picante?

And, I think, if you’re gong to live in Texas, you’re going to have to start eating real salsa. Pace is the Spam of the salsa world.

Chris says: I don’t see why you couldn’t do that. Also, you know what is funny… I couldn’t find another brand of Picante sauce when I was in the grocery the other day.

Bre  |  March 28th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

• That sounds great - and something to make the night before a busy day!!! Did you serve a side dish of spanish rice or was this enough?

Chris says:I made a side dish of spicy rice and beans.

Dot  |  March 28th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

• This is a great base recipe, and you can mix it up so many ways - add sauteed peppers and onions - use shredded chicken (I cook mine in the crockpot in salsa, then shred) - add olives - whatever your audience will tolerate. Around here we call it enchilasagna. YUM.

emily  |  March 28th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

• Would you recommend adding olives, onions, diced tomatoes or any other veggies? Or do you think that would completely alter the taste?

Chris says: I totally think that you could, and it would be yummy!

Christy @ TheRoadToHome  |  March 28th, 2009 at 7:02 pm

• This looks great!! I can’t wait to make it on our next Mexican night. Thanks for sharing.

Heather  |  March 28th, 2009 at 8:01 pm

• Hi! Welcome to Texas! I am looking forward to having this, although I don’t see the oven temp listed anywhere. I’m going to take a guess and try this tonight for my family. Thanks for the great meal idea!

Kristen  |  March 28th, 2009 at 10:39 pm

• My boys so love lasagna and they love Mexican, what a great way to mix the two together and without needing to use those annoying lasagna sheets that never fit the size of my dish. Thanks.

Maddy  |  March 28th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

• What temp should you bake at?

Chris says: 400

Kristen  |  March 28th, 2009 at 11:10 pm

• Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom

Brigitte  |  March 29th, 2009 at 10:11 am

• I made this the other day with crushed tortilla chips instead of tortillas–kind of like layered tacos. Rave reviews from the troops!

mom8k  |  March 29th, 2009 at 8:57 pm

• I added a can of black beans and some frozen corn to the ground beef mixture and it still went over well.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Kristin  |  March 31st, 2009 at 5:11 pm

• Chris,

This looks yummy and I think everyone in the family will eat it! Thanks.

Audrey  |  March 31st, 2009 at 7:34 pm

• What is the temp of the oven?

Thanks.

Chris says: 400

SoMo  |  April 7th, 2009 at 10:04 pm

• This was really, really good. It was excellent the next day heated up in the microwave too.

Michelle K  |  January 8th, 2010 at 4:36 am

• Is that a 9×13 baking dish? And what size cheese? 2 or 3 cup bag? No size on the tortillas either, but I’m guessing about a 6 inch stack maybe? I envy those who can just throw a bit of this and that together and make fabulous meals but I can’t do it. I have to measure everything like a scientist doing an experiment or I go nuts that it won’t turn out right.

Chris says: yes to the size of the baking dish. I think it was a 2 cup bag… use as much cheese as you would like, I assure you that you can not mess it up. The tortillas were the size of a plate? Aren’t they a standard size? All of the recipes that I post are very user (and mistake) friendly. Just try it!

Jaxx  |  February 24th, 2010 at 7:12 am