Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Categories: Cooking, Food, side dishes, summer living

Looking for a new summer side dish? I have a great one for you. This recipe is so easy that I do not even have photos of the steps because I think that you know how to open cans. Right?

You can make this early in the day and leave in the fridge until dinner time. Perfect for those days when you are going to be out of the house all day and just going to grill some hamburgers for dinner.

Also, it looks so pretty. Doesn’t it?

wishbone10

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

1/4 c Hellman’s Light Mayonnaise
2T lime juice
1/2tsp ground cumin
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 c chopped red onion
2T chopped fresh cilantro (I left this out because I could not find any at my grocery store)

Combine mayonnaise, lime juice, and cumin in a medium sized bowl.

Stir in remaining ingredients.

Serve chilled or at room temperature.

wishbone9

This was loved by all. Except for the child who insists he doesn’t like beans, though I doubt that a bean has ever crossed his lips. So really he doesn’t count. The rest of my children said it was wonderful and that it should be made again and again. My eldest son even ate some of the leftover with his lunch, which says something because his general feeling is that leftovers are garbage that I store in the fridge.

• I have a similar recipe, but without the mayo. I’m thinking the mayo would make it that much better.

Angella  |  May 21st, 2009 at 2:48 pm

• awesome! i keep looking for ways to incorporate more beans into our diet (and veggies for that matter) i think i may do this tonight - i have previously never known how to spice/dress such a dish. thank you!

Kate  |  May 21st, 2009 at 9:18 pm

• I am going to make this tonight to go with our baked tilapia. It looks delicious!!!

PeanutSprout  |  May 21st, 2009 at 10:23 pm

• The first time my daughter tried beans she said “hey, do these beans have cheese in them?”. Like a good mother, I lied and said YES, OF COURSE! Since then she loves “cheese beans”!
    Thanks for the great recipe. I can’t wait to try it!

Lisa  |  May 22nd, 2009 at 6:59 pm

• I make the same one, but I also add blanched and cooled soy beans. Where I live they sell them in the frozed veggie section, peeled. Makes it that much more good for you!

ps. I always find mine is better the second day, do you?

Kristen  |  May 22nd, 2009 at 7:26 pm

• This is our summer staple. But with olive oil instead of mayo. And a tiny bit of chili paste to give it some zing! And um, put that cilantro back in - it makes the dish. Unless of course your kids consider it “leaves” - like mine.

Cass  |  May 22nd, 2009 at 8:31 pm

• Funny, I made that yesterday too. We call it Texas Caviar. My recipe uses black-eyed peas too and the corn must be shoepeg (at first I didn’t think it matters, but it does). The dressing is WAY different though. Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sugar, water and salt and pepper, simmered to dissolve the sugar.
    Red, yellow, orange and jalapeno peppers make it unbelievably colorful (with red onion). Because looks ARE everything.

The best part…once you’re finished eating it as an appetizer, I use the leftovers to put over romaine lettuce, crushed lime tostidos, chicken, tomato, cheese , ranch dressing and salsa for an AWESOME salad.

Chris says: Mmmmmmmm.

Carolyn  |  May 23rd, 2009 at 1:33 pm

• Yummy recipe! I make a very similar dish and my boys eat it like a dip with torilla chips. I think they’d eat mud as long as they could dip it up with a chip. ( :

Lisa  |  May 23rd, 2009 at 2:07 pm

• I have a similar recipe that we call “Bulldog caviar” - we are Georgia Bulldog fans! Instead of the mayo, I use Paul Newman’s light Basamic vinagarette dressing and serve it chilled as a dip with tortilla chips…delish!

Chris says: I am going to have to try it this way, too!

Julie  |  May 23rd, 2009 at 10:53 pm

• Do you eat it alone or with tortilla chips?

Chris says: We did both.

grace  |  May 24th, 2009 at 3:43 am

• Made this recipe this morning, and had it tonite with smoked pork chops grilled on the bbq. It was amazing - this will be my new potluck contribution this summer, and will definitely be on the “make again” list!! Thank you, Chris!

cheryl  |  May 26th, 2009 at 12:13 am

• I make a similar one but with vinagarette instead of the mayo dressing. Do you think you could substitute plain yogurt for mayo?

Micki  |  May 29th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

• This looks really nice! I make something similar, but instead of mayo, I used 3-4 RIPE avocadoes. Usually served with Scoops corn chips. I’m going to try it this way though, since sometimes where I live avocadoes are hard to find!

Cindy  |  June 30th, 2009 at 6:47 pm