The Little Luxuries

Categories: Uncategorized

The other day I came home from running errands, the crockpot was cooking dinner I had put inside of it before I left the house.  The housekeeper had just left and the house was sparkling clean.  As I walked inside and looked around I thought, ‘This must be what it feels like to have a wife.’  You know, a good wife, not a slacker wife.

Money has been tight around here lately and some people might look at my bank account and wonder why on earth I still have a housekeeper.  The truth is that it is my one thing, my one luxury.  I don’t get manicures or pedicures anymore.  I don’t get anything waxed, except for my eyebrows, but I really consider that to be a gift to the rest of the world.  I switched to a much, much less expensive hairdresser who frankly does the job just as well.

Having someone come in and clean my house top to bottom every other week takes a huge stress load  off of my shoulders.  I would rather cut back in other areas than let it go.  Sometimes I feel like it is a bit selfish, that there are other things that I could better spend the  money on.  But in the end I have decided that it is  okay to be a bit selfish sometimes.  As mothers, and probably even moreso as working mothers, the guilt over doing anything that is just for yourself can be overwhelming.  Motherhood as sacrifice has become an insidious part of our collective conscience.

I was talking to a  friend about the one luxury you allow yourself, despite the economy.  Her answer was getting regular manicures.  I have another friend who spends one morning a week at the bookstore drinking her coffee and reading a book.

What is the one luxury that will have to be pried out of your hand kicking and screaming?  Tell me that there is one thing you do for yourself that is a little selfish.  If you can’t think of one thing that you do maybe you should consider adding one to your life on a regualr basis.  Commit to being just a tiny bit selfish in the New Year.

• Lucky to you to have someone clean. I would love that. I am not sure if I have a single thing I depend on as a weekly luxury…I might have to have my husband read your post and help me figure it out :) I will admit that reading blogs, and trying to figure out my own takes a lot of time and is somewhat of a luxury. I guess…Merry Christmas!

Your Mac and Cheese and your Taco soup recipes are favorites in our household!

For the Love of Naps  |  December 24th, 2009 at 9:21 pm

• My gym membership! I love my gym…it is beautiful (LIfetime Fitness). It is pricey, but I so enjoy going there and feeling like a woman of means.

Amy  |  December 25th, 2009 at 3:11 am

• *sigh!* A housekeeper would be SO cool . . but the budget precludes anything more luxurious than the occasional hidden, guilty consumption of secretly-bought chocolates (bought out of my own funds).

Brigitte  |  December 26th, 2009 at 11:29 am

• I vote for the cleaner as well! I will insist on cancelling cable before letting that go!

SoftwareMom  |  December 26th, 2009 at 2:57 pm

• Mine is also a housekeeper. I have decided that as long as I am working outside of the home, my priority in my “off” time will be spending time with my family and not scrubbing toilets or floors.

Melissa  |  December 28th, 2009 at 2:34 pm

• My New Year’s resolution is to get a housekeeper. I am going to make it part of our budget. No longer a luxury. We spend way too much time trying to keep the house clean. Knowing that it gets a deep clean every two weeks is totally worth it.

Sharon  |  December 28th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

• What little sanity I have left is in the hands of my beloved cleaning ladies. I’m on an every-two-weeks schedule, as well. We’ve tried to go without, and the result is not just a frazzled me; it’s a really nasty house.

I’m now freelancing to help afford this little luxury and others, like paying our property taxes.

Andrea K  |  December 29th, 2009 at 2:58 am

• As a mom who also has a paid job, having a housecleaner is really a luxury for both me and my spouse! But that doesn’t make it any less special. I agree–I’d insist that cable goes before the housecleaner!

Lorraine  |  December 30th, 2009 at 1:15 am

• I vote for keeping the housekeeper too. I don’t even have kids left at home any more! But, I work full time Tuesday to Saturday at a bank with odd, later hours. On my Monday off, I like to schedule hair cuts (and eyebrow waxing) doctor appointments, car appointments, or I just stay home and take it easy. My husband works Monday to Friday, and he enjoys his Saturday by himself. We make spending Sunday together a priority, which is definitely helped along by having the housekeeper in every couple of weeks. Nope, not giving that up any time soon!!

cheryl  |  December 31st, 2009 at 2:17 am

• I’m with you on the housekeeper! I also don’t get manicures or pedicures. I get my hair cut once a year and donate the pony tail to Locks of Love. Because of this my haircut is free. I rarely buy myself clothes and try to get the little kids their clothes second hand. Having someone clean my house every other week keeps the peace.

LizP  |  January 1st, 2010 at 7:30 pm

• Let’s see. My luxury is…cable. Oh, wait. I don’t have cable.

Well, then, it’s TIVO. Oh, wait. No TIVO in my house, either, darn it all, even though I would KILL for it.

OK, then, it’s going out with my peeps.

Motherhood IS sacrifice, in many ways; and that’s OK. It’s what we signed up for. And keeping ourselves sane, whether it’s with a housekeper, a manicure, a television show, or some other luxury, isn’t really a necessity. It’s a necessity.

Great post. Good job keeping the balance.

E. Peevie  |  January 12th, 2010 at 2:56 am

• Taking my husbands shirts to the dry cleaners to be ironed. Once when I was 25 shirts behind (Yes, 5 shirts a week x 4 weeks…I was a MONTH behind!) I decided ‘just for this one time’ I would drop his shirts at the cleaners. That one time has been going on for 3 years now…best decision I ever made.

Enjoy your housekeeper, guilt free.

Lisa  |  January 12th, 2010 at 9:36 pm

• a chilled split of champagne, a bad magazine, a bubblebath, and a locked bathroom door on sunday evening.

dcwhip  |  January 13th, 2010 at 9:23 pm

• We have someone come to clean twice per month and I can’t let it go. It used to be once a month, which wasn’t enough with pets and a kid but luckily, our cleaning person left the company she was with to go out on her own and now it only costs us slightly more to have her come twice a month since we pay her direct! We got lucky on that one! I also belong to the gym and won’t give that one up. I go every day so I definitely get my moneys worth. I would cancel my cell phone before I dropped either of these two!

Oceans Mom  |  January 15th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

• I am so with you on the housekeeper! I would rather eat at home 7 days a week so I can keep my housekeeper once a week! When I get home from work and the house is sparkling clean…well, there is just no feeling like it!

Ameena  |  January 19th, 2010 at 3:31 am

• Getting my hair professionally colored. I have the white stripe thing ( a la Bonnie Raitt) and I’m still not ready to let it go.

Housekeeping would be a close second, but we did give that up last year and now my husband does most of it.

Susan Getgood  |  March 6th, 2010 at 1:18 pm