Southwest Chicken and Bean Soup

Categories: Cooking, Crockpot, Food, Uncategorized

You should make this.  Right now if possible.

DSC_0081_edited-1

Usually when I make a new recipe that I enjoy I will make it a second time so that I can photograph it for all of you.  But this recipe was so yummy I just had to share it right away.  Also, it is so easy.  I think most of you have mastered the art of can opening and pouring into a crockpot.  Right?

(This is an interpretation of one of Stephanie O’Dea’s recipes.  Like an interpretive dance… only yummier. I am in love with her cookbook.)

This makes a lot. Invite some friends over. If you don’t have any friends, call me. We can be over in short notice and will eat up that food faster than you can say, “Do you live at the grocery store?”

1 lg can black beans
1.5 lb or so boneless chicken breasts. I used the frozen chicken breast tenders and threw them in the crock still frozen solid.
8 cups chicken broth
2 16 oz jars salsa (I used one mild and one medium)
half a bag frozen corn
3 tsp cumin

Dump it all in the crockpot.

Turn the crockpot on low.

Let it cook all day long.

Eat!

It really is that easy. And best of all this recipe was given two enthusiastic thumbs up from everyone who tried it.

Stephanie’s original recipe called for using an immersion blender to thicken the soup up as well as adding sour cream (about 1cup for this recipe). I found that it was delicious without doing either of those things.

• Love the recipes you keep posting Plus the dishes…we have the same Cappucino Set LOL so my meals look like your pics! Thank you.

Tara C  |  February 2nd, 2010 at 11:09 pm

• This looks so good, and very much like your Crockpot Salsa Chicken recipe (just turned into a soup!). Yum.

Shannon  |  February 3rd, 2010 at 4:55 pm

• Made this tonight. I stocked the freezer with $0.40/lb turkeys at Thanksgiving, and just roasted one on Monday. This was a wonderful way to use up some of the leftover turkey.

Angela  |  February 4th, 2010 at 11:04 pm

• sounds yummy…just about to make my grocery list and weekly dinner menu…..will add this on!

ctmommie  |  February 5th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

• Yum!

I made this for dinner Friday night. We had dinner guests before the HS Orchestra concert. It was a huge hit. Everyone wanted the recipe, even my non-soup eating kid liked it.

My only modification was swapping a can of tomatoes and chili’s for one jar of salsa. I also couldn’t fit 8 cups of chicken broth in the crockpot so settled for 4. Just how big IS your crockpot.

Anyway, it’s a keeper recipe.

Thanks!

Cair  |  February 7th, 2010 at 7:01 pm

• yum, this looks so good! I have a question, the chicken you used was it already cooked or raw?

Chris says: Raw!

Laura  |  February 11th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

• I have a similar recipe that calls for a can of refried beans also ( I use fat free). It makes the soup nice and creamy.

meowmix  |  April 30th, 2010 at 11:15 am