Easy Baked Chicken Legs with Paprika Rub

Categories: Cooking, Food, Uncategorized

My kids prefer dark meat to the chicken breasts.  I used to think that it was because the dark meat was more moist, but to be honest I now think that it is because they can pick up the legs in their hands and not have to bother with those pesky utensils.

I like to buy chicken legs because they are insanely inexpensive. Also, if you have any children who are picky and like bland food, once the skin is removed after cooking the spiciness disappears. (I am going to admit to you all right now that I had to look up how to spell spiciness. That just doesn’t look right. But then again, neither did any other way I tried to spell it.)

The spices:

4 tsp. salt
4 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Mix these all together.

Step One: Take chicken out of the package.  Rinse and pat dry.

Step Two: Dump chicken into a large bowl.  Pour 1tsp or so of vegetable oil over the chicken.  Rub with your hands to evenly coat all the chicken pieces.  You don’t want the chicken dripping with oil, just a very light coat that will help the spices stick to the skin.

Step Three: Mix all spices together in a large ziploc or a different large bowl

Step Four: Put the chicken pieces into the ziploc bag or bowl.  Rub to evenly coat your chicken pieces with spices.

Step Five: Place chicken in baking pan.

Step Six: Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

DSC_0057

Yes, it really is as simple as that. And it is so tasty. All of my children like chicken prepared like this.

If you read my Twitter stream you already know that Friday I made this chicken for dinner. I got it all ready, turned the oven on, set the timer and came back into the kitchen 45 minutes later to find the chicken still sitting on the counter. The oven was nice and pre-heated though.

I usually serve it with rice or potatoes, though the other day my son asked why we can’t have it with buttered noodles. And I had no other answer than, uh, okay next time! So feel free to eat your chicken with buttered noodles for him.

• With buttered noodles, it would start bearing a vague resemblance to Hungarian paprika chicken. You could be all international and fancy! ;-)

Brigitte  |  April 23rd, 2010 at 8:52 am

• I have a recipe very similar to this one and it’s a huge hit at home. If you cut slits in the chicken skin and a little way into the flesh the flavour will get into the meat a little more.

Have bookmarked this one to try on the weekend.

Kerrie  |  April 28th, 2010 at 5:40 am

• I made this tonight for dinner along with some garlic bread and mixed veggies. The kids and I ate at the park since my son had a baseball game. I left a few pieces of chicken for my husband in the oven. And when we got home the kids wanted more chicken. But alas…the Hubs ate 2.5 pieces and threw the leftover out. Ay-yay-yay! From the protests from the kids, it looks like this recipe will be making a repeat appearance in our household!

Grace  |  April 29th, 2010 at 1:33 am

• I have made this so many times, it is now a staple in the house…we especially love it on drumsticks and we even make it out camping! Thanks for sharing it :-)

Tracey  |  June 21st, 2010 at 9:54 pm

• Sounds good but I’m just wondering what the yield with this recipe is? I need to feed about 12 adults and 6 kids (and this isn’t the only thing on the menu) so I’d like to know how to alter the spice mix to be proportionate to the amount of chicken I’ll be using. Thanks.

Tania  |  October 18th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

• I made this using 10 chicken legs and 4 teaspoons of salt was WAY TOO MUCH! the other flavors were great, but you could hardly taste the paprika with all that salt. the recipe doesn’t tell you how much chicken to use, so i should have listened to my instincts that it seemed like too much salt. i’d say 1 teaspoon for 10 chicken legs, the rest of the seasoning don’t really matter. my extremely picky 2 year old loved these after i took the salty skin off of it, and he rarely eats meat. so other than the salt issue, this recipe is a success!

Ivy  |  April 3rd, 2012 at 11:54 am

• Had the exact same experience as Ivy! Too much salt! Wish I listened to my instincts…

Jennifer  |  August 4th, 2012 at 3:16 am

• Loved it, mixed up the spices in the mini blender but only used a third of the mix sprinkled over and rubbed in, left to marinate overnight

john  |  December 8th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

• Tried this yesterday, was very quick and tasty! Will make again!

Ursula  |  December 13th, 2012 at 4:29 pm