Easy Peach Cobbler

Categories: Cooking, Food, Kids Cook, Uncategorized, summer living

With the warm weather approaching, or if you live on the face of the sun like I do, the warm weather has already arrived, entertaining demands to be made easier and more casual. Afterall, who wants to slave over a hot stove on a sweltering day? No one that’s who.

This dessert is perfect for the casual entertaining of summer. It is easy, ridiculously so. Your children can make this entirely by themselves. And it is delicious. As a matter of fact, I hid the leftovers so that I could have it all for myself. What? Don’t judge me! You have done the same thing.

I made this recipe using a box of Gluten Free cake mix. I had seen the boxes in the grocery store in recent months and really wanted to try them out to see how they compared to “normal” cake. Admittedly, I have been gluten free so long that I don’t even remember what “normal” cake tastes like. But my kids do and they had NO idea it was a gluten free/ dairy free dessert.

You need:

PEACH-COBBLER1

Stick of butter (I used Fleishman’s Original which is a dairy free margarine)
2 16 oz jars of peaches(you may use canned if you prefer)
Box of yellow cake mix (if using the Gluten free kind that is pictured you will need two boxes because there is half the amount in the box. How awesome is it to pay twice the money for half the product? Yes, that is sarcasm.)
3T sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Open your stick of butter on one end. Rub it all over the bottom and sides of your 9×13 baking dish. Set the stick of butter aside, you will be using it again in a minute.

Open your jars of peaches and pour them into your baking dish.

PEACH-COBBLER

Feel free to do this topless, also. Your guests might even enjoy it.

PEACH-COBBLER2

Pour the cake mix directly over the peaches. You will want to smush the cake mix into the peach syrup. If you don’t do this the cake mix will just stay all powdery. Not good.

PEACH-COBBLER3

Once you do that sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg over the cakey top. Slice your butter into little pats and spread them on top.

PEACH-COBBLER4

Put the whole thing into the oven at 375 and bake for 40 minutes, or until the cake mix turns a golden color.

PEACH-COBBLER5

Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. Or cold. Or standing inside the open refrigerator door using your fingers. What?

• Wow! A peach cobbler just like that? Definitely one that I’m going to try in the next few weeks.

Grace  |  April 27th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

• We make something similar to this called Dump Cake.

In a 9X13 pan

Dump in a can of crushed pineapple
    Dump in a can of cherry pie filling
    Dump a yellow cake mix on top
    Slice a stick of butter into pats and place on top

350 degrees for an hour

Yummmm!

Sherry  |  April 27th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

• Are you sure that margarine is dairy-free? I thought it had whey in it - as do most margarines these days.

Maggie  |  April 27th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

• I am going in to the kitchen to make this as soon as I finish typing this comment.

Missy  |  April 27th, 2010 at 10:44 pm

• I learned how to make this when we lived in South Georgia. I use canned blueberries, apples, pineapple–or sometimes a combination of blueberries and pineapple. Anway…it was called Dump Cake. Everyone LOVES it when I make it.

Cheryl  |  April 27th, 2010 at 10:47 pm

• This sounds delicious and super easy. I’ll give it a try!

Leeann  |  April 27th, 2010 at 11:13 pm

• FYI- mine was NOT done at 40 minutes. I’ll probably increase the time by at least 5 minutes in the future.

Chris says: All oven temperatures vary slightly. This is a good reminder to everyone to check your own cake before removing it from the oven.

Jen  |  April 29th, 2010 at 10:22 am

• This looks delicious!
    I can’t wait to try it.
    I really enjoy your recipes.
    Thank you!
    Mary

Mary  |  April 29th, 2010 at 11:13 am

• Yes! A cobbler I remember. We used to do this camping when I was little. Instead of butter, we just lined the dutch oven with foil, dumped two cans of whatever fruit pie filling we dragged out with us (mixing cherry and apple together was the best), and poured jiffy cake mix on top. I’ve been searching for a cobbler recipe this easy for years to make at home, and had recently decided I just had a bad memory. Nothing could have been that easy. Thank you for posting! I cannot wait to make this tonight!!!

C  |  April 29th, 2010 at 3:57 pm

• Are you sure those are 16 oz. jars of peaches? They look bigger.

Chris says: Ooops, you are right. They are 24oz jars. Fixing the recipe now to reflect that.

Ann  |  April 30th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

• I think my daughter really COULD make this all by herself! She’ll be so excited. Sadly, not enough to actually EAT it, probably she’d just squirt it with whipped cream then lick the whipped cream off the top.
    ;-D

Brigitte  |  May 1st, 2010 at 9:01 am

• I made this tonight since it didn’t involve water (we’re on a boil order - go us!)

It was very easy, but came out a bit mushy. I used a regular cake mix and will cut out a bit of the syrup next time.

Overall it is splendid and made the house smell great.

Thanks for the recipe.

PS I made this with my shirt on, maybe next time I’ll go topless and make it on date night.

KLG  |  May 2nd, 2010 at 11:35 pm

• I make this , we call it dump cake. I add walnuts because I can. It’s really good with cinnamon ice cream

Mary Watkins  |  May 4th, 2010 at 12:07 am

• I’ve never made a recipe of yours that didn’t come out great. This one is embarrassingly easy. Thankss.

Lisa  |  May 11th, 2010 at 3:58 pm

• I’ve made this three times now, the last time out camping…it took quite a bit longer to cook in my trailer oven but it was as yummy as always :-)) With some custard, it would be to die for! I think I am going to have to try some of those ‘Dump Cake’ recipes as well!!

Tracey  |  May 31st, 2010 at 4:20 pm

• This is too good to be true. easy recipes with photos, and humor. Just what I needed. I will be back to explore more.

sandra  |  June 8th, 2010 at 6:22 pm