Emergency bake sale brownies

Categories: recipes

If you have school-aged kids, chances are you’ve heard the words, “Oh, yeah. Mom? I gotta take stuff to school for the bake sale tomorrow.” Chances are also you’ve heard this words in the middle of the night on a weeknight, or at least right before bed.

Assuming that the words “bake sale” imply some sort of use of the oven, these are the brownies I go to when I’m ambushed with that type of declaration.

1 box yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.

Mix cake mix, eggs and oil by hand (it’s kind of sticky for a mixer, but your results may vary) until blended.

Mix in the chocolate chips

Press into pan (I think cake mixes are smaller in volume these days because the batter barely covers the pan, but it will work) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool; cut into bars.

I was going to make some for you guys and have you all over to eat them, but when I went to get the things out, we were sadly lacking in cake mix and chocolate chips as someone has obviously broken into my emergency stash (I have teenagers), so that’s why I didn’t say above that I, “always keep the ingredients on hand”.

I guess I could say that I always think I have the ingredients on hand.

Regardless, I call this one “Eggs and Oil without cake mix”:

Do as I say, not as I do, as I’m obviously not finished ordering my disorder.

What is your emergency bake sale recipe? Share it with us!

School is just around the corner, we need to know.

• Cupcakes. Honestly, who can say no to a cupcake. Unless, you consider that last batch. I blame my oven.

Liz  |  July 19th, 2011 at 9:45 am

• I usually just make regular brownies, but I’m going to try these!

Sara F.  |  July 19th, 2011 at 9:57 am

• I make a recipe similar to this one but with 1/2 cup oil (instead of a third) and a bag of toffee bits. (Chocolate chips are more likely to be on hand, though.)

My go-to “emergency” baked goods item is just a pan of brownies from a mix (Ghirardelli is my favorite). I also sometimes add a layer of Symphony candy bars (the type with the almond and toffee bits) in the middle of the batter for something special. I keep them on hand specifically for that reason. I doubt those would last long in a house of teenagers, though. :)

Amelia  |  July 19th, 2011 at 4:11 pm

• Shortbread cookies only require butter, sugar and flour. And people rarely eat unsweetened cocoa or baking choc so brownies using those can usually be managed. I have too many cookbooks to hunt through in a real hurry and usually end on the website of the product in question.

Nilzed  |  July 20th, 2011 at 6:42 pm

• Bake sale? We don’t have bake sales around here for school anymore. No reason that I know of, just don’t. Thus, I don’t have any recipes for them!

Headless Mom  |  July 22nd, 2011 at 11:58 am

• I always have a box mix for brownies somewhere. I’m more likely to be out of the eggs as we’re a cereal in the morning type family!

Mich  |  July 25th, 2011 at 9:17 am