Storing clothes in a room without a closet

Categories: Decluttering

If you know anything about old house living, you know that rooms can be odd shapes and sizes and storage can be limited.

We live in an old house, and there are 3 full bedrooms upstairs. That’s all well and good, except that we need 4 bedrooms. Having the kids share a room isn’t a great option because of age differences, so we use a dormer space as the 4th bedroom.

This area started out as the nursery. It was a good place to keep the crib and some baby things until we reconfigured some space to make a bedroom for our first child. Then the second child came along and he lived in the nursery for several years until we were able to finish a bedroom for him.

But, by the time the third baby arrived, we’d run out of options for making another bedroom. So, 10 years later he’s still in the nursery. He’s only recently had an opinion about his room being smaller than the others and about the babyish decor in there. So, we fixed it up a bit and made it more age appropriate:

But, part of the update was removing the nursery armoire, leaving nowhere to hang clothes. Additionally, the only real space to do so is behind the door on the right:

As you can see, at the moment we just have a random shelf there, but I’m looking for ideas for some sort of free-standing closet or some way to hang clothes and a couple of shelves would be handy.

What can we put here? Share your ideas! (Please?)

• Ikea has some freestanding options or if the dimensions are difficult to find, you could always do something modular like the Elfa systems.

Karen  |  July 31st, 2012 at 8:08 am

• I am the only person alive who’s never been to Ikea! I must remedy that soon. We don’t have one near here, though.

busymom  |  July 31st, 2012 at 8:52 am

• I lived in Germany for 9 years and bedrooms there do not have built in closets. This was no problem until my daughter came along…I needed space to hang he clothes. I found a nice wardrobe at IKEA for her room. Not only did I get space to hang her clothe, there were shelves also so I’d have a place to store her folded clothes also.

Margaret  |  July 31st, 2012 at 9:03 am

• With 3 daughters sharing 1 room (and my son still without a bedroom door) I totally feel your pain. Saw something on Pinterest about someone hanging clothes in a small corner using a tension rod. Also, a bakers-type utility rack covered with a curtain. Some people are so gosh-darned creative. I am not one of those people.

Liz  |  July 31st, 2012 at 9:13 am

• When my son lived in an attic (in college) there was this weird table that we thought was a bar, until I sat down on the floor (exhausted) and looked up and saw that it had a closet rod underneath. Still weird.

When I lived in an unfinished basement (in college), I hung a closet rod from the rafters on some chain and then tacked up a sheet around it as sort of a dressing room.

What I picture in that space is a big wall of outward facing cubes, floor to ceiling. Kids don’t like to hang things up anyway. All the various sports gear can each have its own cube (out of season stuff in the can’t-reach top cubes), shoes in one, accessories in one, socks and boxers in one, then fold and stack (or stuff) shirts, shorts, and pants. You could mount a few hooks on the face of it for towel, and in-progress clothes.

Get the boys busy (get it?) making a custom-fit wall of cubes. You could even leave an 8″ section without the bottom-most shelves for anything that MUST be hung up. Like a kindergarten cubby. But don’t tell him that.

If no one’s in the building mood, you could use plastic crates, laid on their sides and all attached to each other with zip-ties. Any stuffed animal friends who are still hanging around could also go in the top-most cubes.

amy324  |  July 31st, 2012 at 9:43 am

• When we reconfigured a two bedrooms into three bedrooms, making 2 smaller rooms from one larger one, two of the rooms ended up without closet spaces.
    The solution we chose for our son’s room was to build a loft style bed off the floor, using the space beneath to tuck a dresser.
    There is space to put a hanging rod, that could be covered with a curtain, but he doesn’t want it and we fold all of his clothes and put them in the dresser.
    Looking at the space you have in the picture, a series of shelves could be built in the lower area and a hanging rod up a little higher. A support frame would need to go up behind the door, but it could be a solution for you.

Tracey  |  August 2nd, 2012 at 9:30 am

• I feel you about Ikea not being close, but the two times we made the trip it ws totally worth it. The stuff for kids is actually very well built too.

Mich  |  August 3rd, 2012 at 1:49 pm