It’s still winter, but summer will be here before you know it. I know, easy for me to say since I’m not sitting in the middle of a blizzard like some of you. But, in less than 10 weeks, I’ll have to go retrieve my college freshman and bring all that stuff home. Can you believe it?
Not to give spring the short end of the deal (I love spring, I do!), but summer for working parents brings it’s share of scheduling and preparation challenges, and I like to get ahead where I can.
Here’s 5 things you can do to get ready for summer now:
1. Plan out the summer calendar - I print calendars for June, July and August and we lay them out at home and everyone writes in their summer plans or special events. Camps, vacations, birthdays and even back-to-school dates go on there so we can spot potential conflicts early.
2. Sign up for camps - Now is the time to sign up for summer camps. If you have young kids and have never done this before, just trust me. Traditional camps, sports camps, music camps, drama camps are ready and waiting for you to sign up, don’t put this one off. If you’re lucky, there might even be a discount for signing up now.
3. Book that vacation - If you ‘re going to have the chance to get away this summer, check that calendar you made and pencil in some vacation time. If you need to look for accommodations, now’s the time to do it so you can get the dates you want before they’re all gone. (Taking my own advice in 3…2…1…)
4. Shop now - Bathing suits and other warm weather clothing items are hitting the shelves. When it comes to the kids, it seems like no matter what size they are, the rest of the world had kids the same size and the new stuff is gone in a snap. I’ve learned to just bite the bullet and buy bathing suits when I see them instead of doing it “later” because the red bulls eye store doesn’t always restock them.
5. Apply for summer jobs - Get your teens out of the house and encourage them to apply for summer jobs now. For example, your college student should be getting an internship lined up (*ahem* is someone related to me out there listening?), and potential lifeguards should be signing up for training now. The competition is tough out there, don’t wait.
Even though it may not seem like it now, summer really does come fast. Check some things off your to-do list now and be ready to relax a little and enjoy it!
Subscribe to blog via RSS