We got home late last night, the 9 year old hadn’t eaten, he still had to do homework, shower and get to bed since he’s been up way too late the past couple of nights. I had a couple of things in mind for dinner, and if I timed it just right, we could get everything done and get him to bed.
I flew into the driveway, gathered everything out of the car and rushed to the back door to find…I had no house key.
It had fallen off my key ring, and no one else was home.
We did get in eventually, but dinner plans were foiled. Going back out would have taken too much time, and we may or may not be way overdue to go to the grocery (I’ll never tell!), so I had to slap something together. Since everyone was coming from outdoor sports practices, I felt somewhat compelled to make something substantial-ish.
I’m so not the person that can effortlessly just throw something together for dinner, so when I don’t really have a plan, the results can be variable. However, last night’s “grab whatever I could find” worked out kind of well, so I thought I’d share.
Note: this isn’t a real recipe and your results may vary, this is what landed on my stove after ransacking the fridge and the pantry, so it’s not terribly scientific.
Chicken, Spinach and Pasta
- Most of a box of tube-shaped pasta
- Frozen spinach left in the bag in the freezer
- 1 big can of canned chicken (I know, I know…)
- tub of Original Philadelphia Cooking Creme (not an ad, I just had some)
- most of a can of chicken broth
- spices from the front of the cabinet because there’s no time to dig around in there
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions
- Saute spinach, and chicken in butter and garlic or whatever you found in the cabinet
- Add the chicken broth
- Add the Cooking Creme
- Drain and add the pasta
It was ready in just a few minutes, and turned out pretty well!
And, for obvious reasons, I think a future edition of Ordering Disorder will be, “Food Photography”, but I digress…
Anyway, tell me about your last minute meals that have surprised you. What did you make? How did it turn out?