By Kami Lahti, Kami’s Khlopchyk
Going green. It’s so trendy, even Hollywood A-listers are doing it. It can be daunting, we hear that to save the environment we must become a vegetarian, stop driving, use cloth diapers…it’s enough to make anyone throw their hands up in the air and say, it’s too hard, I can’t do it!
Going green isn’t a destination; it’s a journey, each stop taking you further away from a giant environmental footprint. Every little bit helps and if you start small and slowly it becomes a way of life.
Here are some quick and easy tips to start you out:
- Wash laundry in cold water
- Reduce the amount of laundry soap suggested by at least half
- Line dry laundry, if you can
- Starbucks addict? Use a reusable mug
- Use a refillable water bottle instead of bottled water, it’s mostly overpriced tap water anyway
- Save cereal box bags to use as wax paper
- Avoid individual serving packages, buy bulk and use reusable containers
- Buy produce and anything else you can that is locally produced
- Use cloth bags for shopping, not just groceries
- Use CF light bulbs
- Turn lights off when not in the room
- Avoid harsh chemical cleaners, use vinegar, baking soda or micro-fiber cloths
- Use cloths or rags instead of paper towels
- Use recycled paper products – toilet paper and tissues
Kermit© may say, “It’s not easy being green,” but I don’t think he was talking about reducing our impact on the Earth when he said it.
Do you have any more tips? I am always looking for new ways to reduce my environmental footprint so please share in the comments!
Subscribe to blog via RSS