By Amanda from The Best Mom On The Block
I am a coffee addict. Have been since I was five and my grandma started sharing her morning pot with me (more cream and sugar than coffee but it did the trick!). There’s nothing I love more than the smell of coffee brewing, and my hands wrapped around a big mug first thing in the morning is the best way to start my day. I curl up in my husband’s chair sipping and checking my social media accounts as my kids sleepily watch cartoons and play. (Sounds idyllic doesn’t it? It’s more “chaotic” than that but the coffee helps with the rose colored glasses!)
When the temperatures outside start to creep up I love to trade in my hot mug for a cold glass of iced coffee. I refuse to pay coffee chain prices for my daily fix (or three) so I started making a big pitcher at home to enjoy whenever I want! It’s pennies a glass and just as yummy as any glass you can get at a coffee shop. Slightly sweet and indulgently creamy, this iced coffee will be the perfect start to your day.
Home Brewed Iced Coffee
8 c. brewed coffee (I do 1 standard scoop coffee grinds to 2 cups of water)
2/3 c. sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
5% light cream
garnishes of your choice
1. Brew your favourite blend of coffee to your desired strength.
2. Pour hot coffee into a pitcher and add sugar. Stir to dissolve.
3. Add vanilla and refrigerate until cold.
4. Pour desired amount of cream (or milk) into a glass filled with ice. Add coffee and stir to mix.
5. Top with whipped cream, chocolate covered espresso beans, cocoa powder, cinnamon or whatever else you like.
Variations: For an iced mocha add a squeeze of chocolate syrup or substitute chocolate milk for the cream; use coconut milk for a delicious twist; fill an ice cube tray with coffee and freeze for ice cubes that won’t dilute your drink.
Are you an iced coffee fan? Do you have any recipes that you’d like to share?