By Org Junkie
Clutter at some point or another invades everyone’s home. The trick is to stay on top of it before it gets out of control. Is it already out of control? Does your clutter have a grip on you so tight that you feel overwhelmed with how to get rid of it all and don’t know where to start? Here are some practical solutions to help you.
1. Start with one room at a time, break it down into manageable steps and don’t get ahead of yourself
2. Create a designated space for everything and put things back when they get misplaced.
3. If you have to think about why you want to keep something, you most likely don’t need it.
4. If it doesn’t fit the vision of your space, it has to go.
5. You shouldn’t have to talk yourself into keeping something.
6. Look at your space with new eyes, so often we don’t even see the clutter anymore that invades our spaces yet subconsciously it may be a contributing factor to the stress you feel.
7. Only surround yourself with things you love, that bring you joy and that you actually use.
8. Utilize the one in one out rule. For example, if you buy new shoes, get rid of a pair.
9. Never leave a room empty handed – see something out of place as you go to get a snack during commercial, return it to it to its proper home on your way.
10. If you haven’t used something in one year it’s time to part ways with it.
11. Use containers to establish limits and boundaries.
Take the following five questions into consideration when deciding whether or not the stuff in your home is clutter to you:
1. Do I use this?
2. How long has it been since I’ve used it?
3. Will I use it again?
4. Is it worth the space it takes up in my house?
5. Does it make me happy?
Remember that it’s okay to give yourself permission to be happy by ONLY surrounding yourself with the things that bring you joy and provide you with function and efficiency on a regular basis.
Do you have any tips to control clutter at home or office?
Subscribe to blog via RSS